PDA

View Full Version : Negombo/Katanyika postings 1957-62

airdo57
04-05-2014, 5:02 PM
Hello, I am trying to find some kind of link to my first home within the forces families .

I have one photo from Negombo print shop . My Father Peter Harris (died 2000 aged 62) was a signaller . We had other postings to Germany and in places in England . I know very little of their lives as both remarried when I was about 10. The buffs in Nairn knew my Father well as a Photographer and Picture Framer in the end . He was fond of those he worked beside and missed the RAF after leaving .

Sadly theirs was not a happy marriage as my Mother ,from Glasgow hated the complex life and rigours of married service life .I have had many schools etc etc , as most but our journey started in Negombo I"m pretty sure . I,ve looked at the internet for pictures of Sri Lanka but it would be nice to know where we lived and with whom .

I know I had an Asian "Nanny" as my Mother was employed in the hospiital out there and needed childcare .

Did anyone know this man /Family? The names on postings lists for Negombo (decommissioning to RAF SRI Lanka then )

I'd love to know anything ..

My Father's second Wife withheld photos of us after his death ..

My memories of family life despite the uprooting was warm and very loving in Germany and I suspect Sri Lanka. Would anyone hold records of the Nanny?

:balloon: Daughter of PDHarris and Betty .

Lesley Robertson
04-05-2014, 6:16 PM
Your best bet is to apply for a copy of your father's records. There's a post at the top of this (RAF) forum which will take you toa message on how to do this.

My Dad was also RAF signals, but from the previous generation!