PDA

View Full Version : Judson war records

bjbat
30-08-2005, 6:25 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get information or war records on Wilfrid Edwin Judson, born in Northumberland in 1899. He was my grandfather and all I know is that he was in the British Army in WWI and was a POW in France. Any help?

Geoffers
30-08-2005, 9:34 AM
The National Archives (TNA) holds the majority of records, they have a large number of research guides, including this one on WW1 army service records:
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=18
If he was an officer there are other sources which can be suggested.
The majority of army service records were damaged/destroyed by fire in WW2

One thing you can search from your home is the medal card index. Go to TNA's online documents: Look at the paragraph 'WW1 Campaign medals'. There are several links, click on the link 'search' to use the database. To help interpret what you find, click on 'read more' and you'll find lots of information.

continued......

Geoffers
30-08-2005, 9:36 AM
.....part 2....

Searching the index is free, you pay to view the images. Just enter a forename Wilfred and surname JUDSON and you'll get two hits, your chap looks like the top one.

If he died as a result of the war, try the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web-site http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

Within this 1914-1918 forum there are several threads giving information and advice, you may find reading some of them helpful.

Good luck
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Clive Blackaby
31-08-2005, 8:18 PM
I cannot help you with the war records, but I have a Wilfrid Judson in my family tree, and the name is sufficiently uncommon to indicate that he is related. He was the husband of my mother's cousin, (Maud Amelia (Millie) King, b. England 1903, died Canada 12 Jan 1930.)

I also have a family tree for him. It is not on this computer, but I am fairly sure the Judson family originated in N.E. England, and that Wilfrid was a name that occurred several times.

I will send the information I have by email later if you wish.

Clive Blackaby
01-09-2005, 11:40 PM
I've found the info I have, and sent you a Gedcom via email