PDA

View Full Version : my dad

llanharan
30-04-2014, 7:57 PM
hi I am new to this site and need help since been on here I have not been able to search as I don't know how to work it out my dad was in the R.A.F in the 1930's 1940's I know where he was stationed but don't is RANG in the forces I think just privet airman ? as I was born in 42 so don't know anything about him as the ones who did know was my brother and sister but they have past away now so I am stuck ';

He was stationed in R.A.F St Athens south wales then he was in Cardiff in the last year he was in the forces I think I don't know his number but the person who do know wont gave it to me he is my first cousin

my dads name is Reginald albert green 1908 1955 he was only 46 when he past away so as being so young at that time don't know a lot about himso can any one help me pleas regards Tony

christanel
30-04-2014, 9:35 PM
Hello Tony and welcome to British-Genealogy

You will not find your Dad's service records anywhere online. WW11 records are still held by the Ministry of Defence but next of kin can apply for them. You will need his death certificate though which you can order from the GRO Here (https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp)
You will find the details for the certificate Here (http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) on FreeBMD
Deaths March 1/4 1955 Reginald A Green Age 46, registration District Bridgend vol 8b page 104
Unless of course you already have this certificate.

This site www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html is where you download the forms to order the service records. There is a charge though of about 30 pounds and then a wait of a few months before you receive them.

There are some 'stickies' at the top of this forum which will also help.

Christina

llanharan
01-05-2014, 7:28 PM
Hi Christina was over the moon on getting a reply to my question and from OZ] so many thanks for the information you have sent I will start and do things in the morning when you should be getting ready for bed so once again MANY THANKS ,
KINDS REGARDS
TONY
[PS] AND THANKS FOR THE FOR WELCOME TO BRITISH GENEALOGY MESSAGE ] I HAVE A DAUGHTER WHO LIVES IN [OZ] NORTH RICHMOND., don't mind me asking [What are the stickies'?] still getting to grip with this site

christanel
01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi
North Richmond Victoria or NSW? Whichever, your daughter will be the happy recipient of all your hard earned family research.

A Sticky is a thread which has hints and links for particular subjects. So in your case starting from the 'Forums' page you scroll down and click on 'Occupations' forum then scroll, find and click on Military - Royal Air Force and there at the top of the page is a Sticky - 'Looking for WW2 (and after) records?' by Lesley Robertson. It has an envelope to the left of it with a padlock on it which means it can't be added to by anyone other than a Mod or Admin.

Christina

llanharan
02-05-2014, 7:01 PM
[B] HI Christina again many thanks for that information about sticky get the hang of it now so lets hope I do right '.,
she lives in [N Richmond ] N.S.W,] LOOKING AT THE ANSWER YOU GAVE YOU MUST BE FROM VICTORIA? ANY WAY ITS NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU AND THE HELP YOU HAVE GAVEN TO ME I WOULD HAVE BEEN HEAR FOR WEEKS ON END TRYING TO WORK OUT THINGS ;,
AM IN THE PROSES IN DOING THE FORMS AND ETHER THINGS THAT ARE NEEDED TO GET THE INFOMATION I NEED THANKS TO YOUR HELP KINDS REGARDS ANTHONY [CH]XX
HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN IN THR FURTAER FOR GAVE MY SPLEING NOT THAT GOOD GETTING TO OLS NOW

christanel
02-05-2014, 9:58 PM
Hello Tony

I am in NSW just a couple of hours or so up the highway from your daughter.

Glad my instructions were clear enough for you to follow. :smile5: and we are never too old to do anything we want to!
Hope it doesn't take too long for the records to arrive.
Good luck with it.

Christina

llanharan
03-05-2014, 8:28 PM
Hi Christina yes thanks I am sending them of in about two weeks time as got waite for my pension to come but not I a rush been waiting to find out now for about 5years now as it as taken me that long to do my family tree on my dad side and just going on my mam's side and trying to find [EDWARDS] family in wales that's a BIG BIG story but getting there ',

should have came over to oz in 2012'2013 but I claps' t as I was getting on the plane and was rushed into hospital very iLL and spent a few weeks in and out of hospital but as I was getting over the virus I had and came out with in one week was rushed back in after passing out again and spent the next six months in out hospital so altogether I sent about 12 months in there OK now so got save up now so we can get to see our daughter g; daughter who is 10 in dec 2014 we been coming over there for about six ties now but getting older and with health not to good but not letting that get in way look by for now will talk soon will let you know when I get things done
take care many thanks
Anthony x [CH]
when I get around to do things I will put a photo of me on here soon

christanel
03-05-2014, 9:58 PM
Hi

So glad you are recovering. As you say there is no rush now that you know how and where to apply for the records. Researching the Edwards side of your family will help keep you busy until you get them. :smile5:

Good luck with it all

Christina

llanharan
04-05-2014, 6:19 PM
hi Christina thank you may not hear from for a few weeks will be getting ready for the information they will be sending me
thanks
take care Tony x
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/extensions/uploads/ab1af5e4-e52a-406f-ab75-4ca9d0029053.jpg

Lesley Robertson
04-05-2014, 7:25 PM
Tony, it took about 3 months when I ordered my Dad's records, so don't start watching for the postman just yet!

llanharan
06-05-2014, 6:07 PM
hi Christina yes you said it would take about 3months don't see my postman that often he comes around late in the day so I am out the day when I am out but the suspense is killing me never mind I got all the time to worry about it that much will come's when it is ready
take care tony xx
ps will let you know when it do come okx