PDA

View Full Version : Help reading surname please

Sue Mackay
27-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Could someone with access to the records of Manchester Cathedral on Ancestry please take a look at the marriage of Samuel DUXBURY on 30 January 1803. His bride was Margaret but I can't decide what her surname was. It doesn't help that what the vicar wrote seems to bear no resemblance to what she signed! Ancestry have indexed it as THOP but that seems unlikely.

fullscott
27-04-2014, 2:06 PM
Harley? Hardy? ... but what I think is an 'H' is not like the 'H' in Hutchinson.

Perhaps Tunley?

(If it wasn't for what looks like a "y" on the end, it could be Frost! And Margaret seems to be writing Thorp!)

Just guessing!

Jane

Ken_R
27-04-2014, 2:09 PM
I didn't find it until I removed the Year from the search.

Difficult one. Two vicars on the same page(s).

I could almost see 'Troy' both in the entry and the signature. Particularly the signature. But then, looking at other Y's, they seem different. I've been looking to find a 'g' ending entered by George Hutchinson but can't find one as yet.

Pamelawagster
27-04-2014, 2:19 PM
FMP has the marriage transcription with brides surname as Finley!

Sue Mackay
27-04-2014, 3:08 PM
FMP has the marriage transcription with brides surname as Finley!

Interesting, as I'd almost come to the conclusion it is FURLY!

This is part of my quest to find the origins of the 1820 settlers to the Cape. I am now fairly sure that the Margaret DUXBURY who emigrated with Samuel was Margaret SMITH, who married him in 1808 in Manchester Cathedral. Although no marital status was given, I think it must have been Samuel's second marriage, his first one being the one you have all so kindly looked at. They emigrated with three children, William, Hannah and John. I have found the baptisms for Hannah and John in 1814 and 1816 in Manchester Independent Grosvenor Street, but no sign of William so far. However, according to his age at emigration he was born in 1804, which fits with the 1803 marriage.

Thanks all. Am relieved in a way it wasn't just my eyesight!

begaar
01-05-2014, 6:48 AM
Hi Sue did he ever settle in Sth Africa as I have found this:

Duxbury, Samuel

Last Name: Duxbury
First Name: Samuel
Date of Birth: 1779
Place of Birth: of Manchester, Lancashire, England
Parents – Father:
Parents – Mother:
Name of Spouse: 1) Margaret 2) Margaret Smith b. 1780
Marriage Date: 1) 30 Jan 1803 2) 5 Jun 1808
Marriage Place: 1) Cathedral Manchester, Lancashire 2) Cathedral Manchester, Lancashire
Date of Death:
Place of Death:

Notes: George Smith’s party of 1820 settlers. IGI. DN 4540/1877. Samuel was the minister of the Baptist Church in Grahamstown. Children:

William 1804 Manchester, married Eliza Young, he d. 2 Sep 1877 age 73 y 10m 22d (q.v.)
Hannah 1814
John 1816.

begaar
01-05-2014, 6:56 AM
found another link that may help heaps:

http://www.duxbury.plus.com/tree/f_69.htm

and yes he did go to Sth Africa.
Wayne

Sue Mackay
01-05-2014, 8:50 AM
Thanks Wayne. Yes I knew he had gone to the Cape - see #5 - but am trying to pinpoint actual pre 1820 registers because settler trees in SA have so much conflicting information.

I have transcribed all the settler correspondence and am now trying to add pre 1820 primary sources at
http://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/