PDA

View Full Version : Name of Royal Eng buried Katihar, 1959

John Carr
14-04-2014, 4:19 PM
Hello.

I was a Signals Sergeant seconded to the Ghurkas based in Dharan, Nepal from 1960 to '62.

I was tasked with placing a military headstone on the grave of a Sapper who died in the Himalayas in 1959. He was buried in a Christian cemetery in KATIHAR, Bihar State in India.

He was the only British soldier buried in this cemetery.

I took photos of the grave once the job was completed, the undeveloped spool which I sent to the War Graves Commission asking them to forward a copy to me. I never received a reply to this request, and have always wondered whose name was on the headstone.

Can anyone suggest the best way to try and find this information?

Thank you.

Pam Downes
15-04-2014, 4:42 AM
Hi John,

Welcome to Brit-Gen. |wave|

I didn't know if the Commonwealth War Graves Commission covered only WW1 and WW2, so checked there first. www.cwgc.org
No luck. So then I googled War Graves Commission and ended up at The War Graves Photographic Project http://twgpp.org/ which covers from WW1 to the present day.
Searching the site for a name will obviously not work for you, but there are two email links and I would have thought that those guys would be able to access the database via the cemetery name.

Pam

John Carr
18-04-2014, 2:43 PM
Many thanks, Pam, for the work you've done on this. The War Graves Photographic Project sounds like a good next step.

I shall report back with my findings.

John.

John Carr
18-04-2014, 3:25 PM
Useful link to Indian cemeteries. I now need to edit my first post as the place is KATIHAR in Bihar state.

How do I 'edit'?!

Thanks.

christanel
18-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Hello John

Members only have approx 10 minutes to edit a post. This is to prevent posts being changed willy nilly and possibly distorting the meaning/relevance of whatever is posted later. So doing what you have done is actually the best way of drawing attention to a needed correction.

However I have actually edited your first post for you so you have a double whammy correction. Got to keep my hand in. :biggrin:

Christina

John Carr
02-05-2014, 2:25 PM
Thank you Christina, and sorry for the delay in getting back.

I now have a number of lines to pursue, and will come back when I have new information.

Thanks again, John.