PDA

View Full Version : RAF good conduct medal

joycelyn
03-04-2014, 6:59 PM
My mother has today received her late brother's service records on which it says he was awarded a 'good conduct medal'. Does anyone know what this medal is and what is meant by good conduct. My uncle was a rear air gunner in WWII and was killed in action in May 1943 after serving in the RAF reserves for just under 2 years.

Peter Goodey
04-04-2014, 8:04 AM
RAF good conduct medal

Can't see that one in my reference material. I can see an RAF Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Are you sure it said "Good Conduct Medal"?

"Good conduct" usually just meant that you hadn't done anything terribly bad. I think the official view is that everyone's conduct is good unless they've done something particularly bad or particularly good.

joycelyn
04-04-2014, 8:58 AM
Thanks Peter, I will go back to Mum over the weekend and check it was a medal. There was a lot to take in and decipher yesterday and, unfortunately, she was stuck in the house because of thick smog and couldn't get to anyone to help! I also found the info on Long service and good conduct medal and only wish he had survived to qualify for long service.:-(

I was wondering if good conduct was put on the record after a certain number of sorties?

Peter Goodey
04-04-2014, 9:48 AM
I was wondering if good conduct was put on the record after a certain number of sorties?

If it was a Good Conduct Badge, the first one would be awarded after a certain number of years of satisfactory service (three, I think)

joycelyn
04-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Hmmm, good conduct 'badge' maybe that is what Mum said! Unfortunately, my uncle was killed in action before he got to his two years service but maybe during the war and in Bomber Command awards of any kind were brought in earlier than most. Thanks Peter.

Neil Wilson
04-04-2014, 7:19 PM
Long service and good conduct medal. Ribbon is maroon and blue with white edging.
Not sure when it was first issued was for 18 years but reduced to 15 when I received mine in the late 80s.
There used to be a chart of medal ribbons online for all services and the years that it was issued.

joycelyn
05-04-2014, 6:25 PM
Many thanks Neil but it was indeed 'badge' and not medal that was recorded in my Uncle's service record. He was awarded it before 2 or even 3 years service, in fact just a short time before he was killed.

Neil Wilson
05-04-2014, 7:17 PM
Just had a thought, there used to be inverted chevrons worn on one arm near the cuff.
I think this is what is referring to.

joycelyn
06-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks again Neil, Mum is going to have a close look at a photograph of her brother in his uniform - probably taken too early for the chevron to have been attached though. I appreciate your input.