PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions please?

Megan Roberts
03-04-2014, 5:45 PM
This is a will dated 1848:

Does the 3rd line say something like "draper I give and bequeath"?

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/extensions/uploads/25a639fb-de5d-4001-8c4b-bb576c4e1172.png

And the 2nd line of this up to where its says "my brother James Couzens"

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/extensions/uploads/64b04b44-4d20-4323-9f99-c196480fcdb5.png

This next bit has got me stumped. The first couple of lines are about him leaving 30 pounds to his sister Elizabeth Parry and her receipt alone being sufficient - after that ....... I am stuck:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/extensions/uploads/08f692db-d0b0-43ae-b973-c0cced804dfc.png

almach
03-04-2014, 6:58 PM
And the 2nd line of this up to where its says "my brother James Couzens"

Here's my attempt.

and niece Maria and Benjamin children of my brother James Couzens

Allan F Sparrow
03-04-2014, 6:58 PM
1. 3rd line "draper I give and bequeath to my nephew Benjamin Couzens son of my"

2. 2nd line "and niece Alice and Benjamin children of my brother James"
(almach got in first, and Maria is better than Alice)

3. [illegible] for the said legacy to my executors [illegible] named... and then I'm stuck too!

If you can somehow manage to post it at a larger size, it would help my old eyes a lot: increasing the page size in the browser just makes it blurred.

Hope this is some help, anyway.

almach
03-04-2014, 7:21 PM
3. [illegible] for the said legacy to my executors [illegible] named... and then I'm stuck too!

Adding to Allan's

for the said legacy to my executors [ ] notwithstanding her [ ] I also give and bequeath to my said sister

Then, me too am stuck. As Allan said they are too small to read with tired old eyes.

almach
03-04-2014, 7:32 PM
notwithstanding her reverture

almach
03-04-2014, 7:46 PM
A little more ............

will be certified to from the club [?] at the [?] Inn in town of [?} at the time of my [??] I give and bequeath.

Megan Roberts
03-04-2014, 8:21 PM
If you can somehow manage to post it at a larger size, it would help my old eyes a lot: increasing the page size in the browser just makes it blurred.

Apologies for the size - I shall have to go back to the photobucket method!

almach
03-04-2014, 8:25 PM
Megan do you know which town it's likely to be, as that may help with the Inn's name.

Sue Mackay
03-04-2014, 8:37 PM
Apologies for the size - I shall have to go back to the photobucket method!

For those with Ancestry it's the will of Evan Couzens of Narbeth - the only one that comes up.

Megan Roberts
03-04-2014, 8:50 PM
Sue has identified the town correctly.

Thanks

Allan F Sparrow
03-04-2014, 9:00 PM
My last effort for tonight:

her reverture I also give and bequeath to my said sister the ten pounds which my executors will be entitled to from the club ? at the ? when in the town of Narberth at the time of my decease I give and bequeath

Sue Mackay
03-04-2014, 9:12 PM
This is the last will and testament of me Evan Couzens of the town of Narbeth in the County of Pembrokeshire, Draper. I give and bequeath to my nephew Benjamin Couzens, son of my Brother William Couzens, the sum of fifty pounds to be paid to him when he attains the age of twenty one years and the interest thereof to be appropriated to his use in the meantime. I give and bequeath to my nephew and niece Maria and Benjamin, children of my brother James Couzens, the sum of ten pounds each to be paid when they respectively attain the age of twenty one years and the interest thereof to be appropriated to their use in the mean time. I give and bequeath to my brother Joseph Couzens the sum of fifty pounds to be paid him in twelve calendar months after my decease and I give and bequeath to my sister Elizabeth Parry the sum of thirty pounds to be paid her in twelve calendar months after my decease and her receipt alone shall be sufficient testament for the said legacy to my executors hereinafter named, notwithstanding her coverture I also give and bequeath to my said sister the ten pounds which my executors will be entitled to from the Club held at the Angel Inn in the town of Narbeth at the time of my decease, I give and bequeath to my brother John the sum of ten pounds to be paid him in twelve calendar months after my decease and lastly I give devise and bequeath all the ?? and remainder of my leasehold and personal estate whatsoever to my brother David and William their heirs and assigns for their own and absolute use for ever and I hereby nominate and appoint my said brothers David and William joint Executors of this my last will and testament as witness my hand this thirtieth day of March in the year of our Lord 1848

Sue Mackay
03-04-2014, 9:20 PM
I think it says "coverture", which my dictionary defines as "condition of married woman under husband's protection", but I stand to be corrected

almach
03-04-2014, 9:20 PM
Well done, Sue.

almach
03-04-2014, 9:21 PM
I think it says "coverture", which my dictionary defines as "condition of married woman under husband's protection", but I stand to be corrected

I think you are right.

Allan F Sparrow
04-04-2014, 7:03 AM
Another triumph for co-operative endeavour!

Megan Roberts
04-04-2014, 7:13 AM
Thank you one and all for all your help, and especially to Sue for taking the time to go through the whole document.

It's a Will that surprises me because of the amounts left by someone working in "trade", who could only make his mark "X" - unless of course something had incapacitated him and he was unable to write. Oh goody another trail to follow!:smile:

Ladkyis
04-04-2014, 7:37 AM
Just because he "made his mark" where he was told to, doesn't mean he couldn't write. It just means he didn't write. Sometimes it was best to appear illiterate even in trade