PDA

View Full Version : Lost Jewish Cemetery in Bristol??

peter nicholl
27-08-2005, 6:28 PM
A few years ago, when I worked in Bristol, I came across what appeared to be a derelict Jewish Cemetery around the back of Temple Mills Station. It was behind a long and tall brickwall. There was an Iron gate and the place looked overgrown. It definitely seemed Jewish as the headstone inscriptions were in Hebrew. Does anyone have any information on it, just to satisfy my curiosity?

Peter

Geoffers
27-08-2005, 8:50 PM
A few years ago, when I worked in Bristol, I came across what appeared to be a derelict Jewish Cemetery around the back of Temple Mills Station. It was behind a long and tall brickwall. There was an Iron gate and the place looked overgrown. It definitely seemed Jewish as the headstone inscriptions were in Hebrew. Does anyone have any information on it, just to satisfy my curiosity?
My apoligies, my knowledge of Bristol is woefully lacking - would the following URL relate to the cemetery?
www.
favc.freeserve.co.uk/

Geoffers

DebbieAnn
27-08-2005, 10:04 PM
There are a few Jewish cemeteries in Bristol. From your description, it may be St. Phillips Cemetery...

Chasing Caseys
27-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Talking of cemeteries................there is a overgrown derilict cemetery ? well there are head stones in a wood that is huge and neglegted except by drug dealers and users. This place is bear with me...........when i am on on the train leaving London Fenchurch St about 2 minutes out of Limehouse Station (or Stepney East as it used to be to us who remember) and its to the left. Not much info i know but i know you lot have extensive knowledge of such things and its a place i always wonder what it is or was .:confused:

peter nicholl
28-08-2005, 2:52 PM
There are a few Jewish cemeteries in Bristol. From your description, it may be St. Phillips Cemetery...Thanks DebbieAnn, Spot on and that's cleared that up.

Thanks Geoffers but it's not Arnos Vale. Arnos Vale is one of those where its owners want to close it and the locals are up in arms, or were when I worked in Bristol.

Peter

AnnB
28-08-2005, 4:01 PM
Talking of cemeteries................there is a overgrown derilict cemetery ? well there are head stones in a wood that is huge and neglegted except by drug dealers and users. This place is bear with me...........when i am on on the train leaving London Fenchurch St about 2 minutes out of Limehouse Station (or Stepney East as it used to be to us who remember) and its to the left. Not much info i know but i know you lot have extensive knowledge of such things and its a place i always wonder what it is or was .:confused:

Could it be Tower Hamlet's Cemetery, Tracey? I think that is about the right place for it :) Did a quick Google and found www.
towerhamletscemetery.org/ I seem to remember going there with a friend who was looking for a grave many moons ago, but we gave up after a very short space of time.....

Best wishes
Ann