PDA

View Full Version : Gear/Ash North Devon

Joan Daniell
27-08-2005, 5:02 AM
I am trying to find information on my great great grandparents.John Gear married Mirriam Ash in Holy Trinity Church, Ilfracombe on 12.8.1834. His father was given as William Gear a farmer, and hers as James Ash a mariner. John was in the Merchant Service and was lost at sea, Mirriam later married a man called Hancock. This information came to me through a cousin who seems to remember some papers about a fire at a farm and a place called Combe Martin. Could anyone help please?
Regards
Joan Daniell
Queensland
Australia

AnnB
27-08-2005, 9:38 AM
Hello Joan

Holy Trinity is the Parish Church of Ilfracombe. Combe Martin is the next but one parish along the coast to Ilfracombe, with Berrynarbor sandwiched in between.

Being coastal parishes, a lot of the menfolk were connected with the sea in one way or another, and, in my experience, they always seem to be at sea at the time of the census! I have looked at the 1841 census and this seems to be the case with your gt gt grandfather in 1841

HO107/204/16 Folio 5 Page 4
Ilfracombe
Heale [these days known as Hele, a part of Ilfracombe out towards Berrynarbor]
John Popham / 75 / Ag Lab / born in county
Alice do / 65 / born in county
Miriam Geere / 25 / born in county

Folio 5 Page 5
James Geere / 1 / born in county.

From the way the enumerator has written the entries, I would suggest Mirium and James were lodging with the Pophams, but it is quite possible that they were related. Unfortunately the 1841 census isn't very helpful on that score, so don't take my word for it. The name Gear is/was fairly common in North Devon. I have found it written as Gear/Geare/Gere/Geere.

I'll leave you with this to be going on with and will have a look to see if I can find anything else later on. We are just about to go out now, so I'd better get a move on :)

Best wishes
Ann

AnnB
27-08-2005, 1:40 PM
Found them on the 1851 census (LDS 3 Counties CD)
John was actually at home for census night :)

John GEER Head M 35 M Mariner Berrynarbour-Dev.
Maryon GEER Wife M 38 F --- Porlock-Som.
James GEER Son - 11 M Errand Boy Ilfracombe-Dev.
John GEER Son - 6 M --- Ilfracombe-Dev.
Ellin GEER Daur - 5 F --- Combmartin-Dev.
Eliza GEER Daur - 2 F --- Combmartin-Dev.
George GEER Son - 2 M ---
Census Place: Combmartin Barnstaple, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1892 Folio: 512 Page: 4 FHL Film: 0221043

Hope that helps a bit
Best wishes
Ann

Joan Daniell
28-08-2005, 5:12 AM
Hello Ann
Thanks for the information. With the names you have given to me I have tried 1837 online for the 1861 census but seem to only have found a James Gear born in Berrynarbor.the others seem to have dissapeared even with trying all different spellings. I know that John Gear my gr grandfather went to Newport Monmouthshire where he married and had a family, he was a blacksmith. I'll see if I can pick up some info on the IGI withy the rest of the names.

Regards
Joan

debbi2k
20-10-2005, 3:44 PM
Dear Joan,

can I help you? I go to the Records Office in Barnstaple every so often.They hold the parish records for the places mentioned.

Best Wishes

Debbi

Joan Daniell
26-10-2005, 5:49 AM
Dear Debbi,
Thank you very much for your offer. If you could find a record of birth for John Gear it would be great, he was born about 1816/17 father William who was a farmer. John was a mariner and I believe that hewas lost at sea . I have him on the 1851 census age 35. Gear seems also to have been spelt Geare/Geer/Geere/Gere. Any information you could find on the family would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Joan:)

debbi2k
03-12-2005, 6:44 PM
Dear Joan,

by birth do you mean baptism? and what information are you needing from a baptismal entry?

As you already have his fathers name is it the mothers name you are seeking? or her maiden name? this would not be shown on the baptismal record.

Best Wishes

Debbi

p.s. sorry not to have got back to you sooner but family difficulties took priority for awhile.

Joan Daniell
06-12-2005, 4:20 AM
Dear Debie
The only info that I have on John Gear is what I have on his marriage certificate. Married August 12th 1838, Ilfracombe which gives his fathers name.William a farmer. His age I worked out from the 1841 census wich would have him born c 1816/17. I have been trying to find a record of his birth to tell me where and when and also is mothers name if possible. I seem to be hiting brick walls all the time. Ordered print outs for Gear from DFHS but he didn't appear on them.
Thanks for your interest,
Merry Christmas
Joan Daniell
Queensland
Australia

debbi2k
07-12-2005, 4:05 PM
Dear Joan,

I will try and find the baptism in Ilfracombe for you.It might take a while as I am unsure of when I can next get to the Record Office that holds this information.Probably after Christmas.
Have you looked at the 1851 for his place of birth?Just a thought.

Best Wishes

and

Merry Christmas to you too

Debbi

debbi2k
16-05-2006, 7:06 PM
Dear Joan,

I am finally able to go and do this look up for you and sadly the baptism wasnt in Ilfracombe.

Best Wishes

Debbi

Joan Daniell
25-05-2006, 5:20 AM
Hi Debbie
Many thanks for trying to help. This brick wall has certainly got me stummped.even the census records that are now on the net don't seem to help.
Thanks once again.

Regards Joan