PDA

View Full Version : Charles Dagwell . HMS Spartiate .

JeannieR
12-03-2014, 2:18 PM
Hi There....

Not very good with The Military stuff, YET....

But I have found details on the site, regarding the above gentleman.

He is of the correct age to be "mine" But did he die onboard The Spartiate, at The Battle of Trafalgar or do the records provided just show he was serving. I know he was awarded a medal 21/10/1805.

Thank you for any help

JeannieR

Peter Goodey
12-03-2014, 3:24 PM
I'm just a fellow researcher and can't speak for FWR if that's what you mean by "the site".

However your man does appear to be listed in the National Archives' Trafalgar Database. You can search that free of charge on the National Archives web site and read the explanatory page. It's a database of men who fought at Trafalgar.

I know he was awarded a medal 21/10/1805.

Where did you find that? I don't think it's that straightforward. The Naval Medal Roll (on Ancestry) does list him on the Spartiate. But he appears to have deserted on 22 Jul 1807 and the record is endorsed "as a deserter he is unworthy of a medal".

Peter Goodey
12-03-2014, 4:23 PM
I should have added that to take this further - or at least to confirm this data, you could go to the National Archives and work through the ships musters

eg

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_aq=spartiate&_ep=&_or1=&_or2=&_or3=&_nq1=&_nq2=&_nq3=&_sd=1804&_ed=1807&_col=0&_sw=ref&_cr1=adm36&_cr2=adm37&_cr3=&_ps=15&_ro=any&_rd=&_rsd=&_red=&_fr=&_st=adv

JeannieR
13-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Thank You Peter...

That is just the information I was seeking.

If CharlesDagwell survived Trafalgar, and went on to desert is highly likely that this is my great great grandfather. If he deserted, it explains why he settled in London, and did not return to Hampshire. His brothers and their descendents became well known mariners.

I will send for his pay book, and take it from there.

I am afraid I found it quite difficult to navigate the National Archive site, and I never thought to look on Ancestry

Thank You again, very much.
JeannieR