PDA

View Full Version : Lost STRONG's of England

Dreamer
26-08-2005, 9:40 PM
Morning - this is my first time on here.

Robert STRONG was born about 1792 some where in England, he married 1/8/1813 Hornsey Parish Middlesex, to Margaret FISHER from Norfolk born about 1793. They had 7 children. John, Robert, Rosina, Charles, George (gggf), Sarah & Susannah all born in the Rothehithe area. Robert snr died of cholera in 1849, John & Susannah die young, George came to NZ in 1847, followed by Charles & Robert 1856 and Sarah in 1865, leaving Rosina and Margaret behind. These two I have not been able to trace what happened to them. Also I would like to find where Robert snr was born, his parents or siblings and who were Margaret's family. The family that came to NZ, I have traced all the family to present date but would love to find members of the family prior to these dates.
If any one has a clue to help or has these people in their tree I would love to hear from you.

Trish
26-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Welcome aboard!

Do you think this could be your Margaret STRONG and daughter Margaret and their family in the 1861 census?

Address: Silver St., Rotherhithe, Surrey
George Fredk STEWART Head 25 Labr Docks born Surry [sic], Clapham
Margt STEWART Wife 34 born Surry, Rotherhithe
Margt STRONG Mother Widow 70 born Norfolk, Norwich
Frans ASHWOOD Son 13 born Surry, Rotherhithe
Chars ASHWOOD Son 11 born Surry, Rotherhithe
Robt ASHWOOD Son 9 Scholar born Surry, Rotherhithe
Geo STEWART Son 1 born Surry, Rotherhithe

Reference: RG9/390 Folio 27

Looks like George Frederick STEWART is daughter Margaret's second husband.

Hope this helps,
Trish

Trish
26-08-2005, 10:30 PM
FYI... the STEWARTs in 1871:

Address: No. 13 Silver Street, Rotherhithe, Surrey

George STEWART Head Married 36 Labourer born Surrey, Clapham
Robert ASHWOOD Son 19 Labourer born Surrey, Rotherhithe
Nathaniel ASHWOOD Son 17 Labourer born Surrey, Rotherhithe
George STEWART Son 11 born Surrey, Rotherhithe
Margaret STEWART Daughter 9 born Surrey, Rotherhithe
James STEWART Son 7 born Surrey, Rotherhithe
Samuel STEWART Son 5 born Surrey, Rotherhithe
William STEWART Son 2 born Surrey, Rotherhithe

Reference: RG10/643 Folio 91

I wonder where Margaret is?

Trish

Dreamer
03-09-2005, 7:35 AM
Hi Trish

Thank you very much for your reply but sorry no that is not my Margaret. Caused some confusion for us as well when we found her. We have an idea that our Margaret may have died about 1851 or close to then and maybe Rosina died too some time after that. The boys all left England in 1856 and then their only sister Sarah and her family were brought out to NZ, her brothers paying the passage.

Many thanks for your time.

Pam...NZ

Trish
03-09-2005, 3:09 PM
Too bad, Pam. I guess what might help you is the 1841 and/or 1851 British census details on your STRONG family... Maybe someone has access to those and can help you.

Trish

Dreamer
03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Trish

I have all the details of the 1841 & 1851 census, thought the 1861 census would be great if any one has access to them. That might give me a clue as to whether Margaret and Rosina were still alive then, also where Sarah LEWIS was living ( Margaret's youngest daughter). She left England in 1865.

Many thanks for your help. Pam ....NZ

Trish
04-09-2005, 2:40 PM
Hi Trish

I have all the details of the 1841 & 1851 census, thought the 1861 census would be great if any one has access to them. That might give me a clue as to whether Margaret and Rosina were still alive then, also where Sarah LEWIS was living ( Margaret's youngest daughter). She left England in 1865.

Many thanks for your help. Pam ....NZPam,

I've looked at the 1861 census again but there are a lot of STRONGs and LEWISes in Middlesex... As you suspect, your Margaret may not have been alive by 1861 -- there are 5 Margaret STRONGs in the 1861 census associated with Middlesex, none of whom where born before 1800. The oldest was born in 1803 in London [not Norfolk].

Some details -- if you have them -- may help narrow down the search: Do you have birth years for Rosina and Sarah? Do you know the first name of Sarah's husband? Do you know the names of Sarah's children, if any?

You've probably already seen this: the civil registration index lists the death of a Rosina Sarah STRONG, occuring in the December quarter of 1843 in Chelsea. [However, this seems an unlikely match for your Rosina -- why would she have a middle name of Sarah and a sister named Sarah?].

Regards,
Trish

Trish
04-09-2005, 2:49 PM
Pam,

I just saw your other post to which Tracey responded.

Your extra information about George LEWIS and Tracey's advice about Rotherhithe helped tremendously in searching for your Sarah LEWIS:

Address: 10 Silver St., Rotherhithe
George LEWIS Head 29 General Lab born Middx Limehouse
Sarah LEWIS WIfe 31 born Surry [sic] Rotherhithe
Sarah LEWIS Daur 7 Scholar born ditto
Sussanh LEWIS Daur 5 Scholar born ditto
Ellen LEWIS Daur 3 Scholar born ditto
Eliza LEWIS Daur 10 ms born ditto

Reference: RG9/390 Folio 26 Page 46

HTH,
Trish

Dreamer
04-09-2005, 8:56 PM
Thank you both Tracey and Trish,

That is wonderful - that is the family I am looking for - didn't know they also lived in Silver Street. Their daughters were Sarah Ann - Susannah Martha - Eleanor Margaret - Rosina Emma - Eliza Louisa - Then they had Henry Charles - & twins Robert Alfred & Margaret Alice after they came to NZ.

That family of LEWIS's that Tracey found in Limehouse could well be the right ones as it looks like thats where the Emma may come from.

A million thanks ladies for all your help.

Trish
05-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Pam,

You're most welcome. In regard to Rosina. If we assume that she was born in a year between 1813 and 1833 in Rotherhithe and that she married, there are two possible matches on the 1861 census:

Rosina JENKINS: born about 1822 in Rotherhithe, living at 4 Thames Street, Greenwich, Kent with her 3 children: Richard H. born about 1848, Emma born abut 1851 and John J. born about 1854, all in Greenwich. She's listed as married and a Collage [sic] Pensioners Wife but her husband is not in the household. [Reference RG9/398 Folio 8 Page 9]

Rosina TEPPETE: born about 1828 in Rotherhithe, living at 77 Kingsland Road, Shoreditch St. Leonard with her husband, James, born about 1828 in Bermondsey, Surrey, and 2 children: George, born about 1856 in Westminster, Middlesex and Maria, born about 1858 in Kingsland, Middlesex. Husband is a Fish Salesman. Also living with them is husband's unmarried brother, Charles, a Painter, born about 1836 in Rotherhithe, and Alfred Slaney, a lodger born about 1839 in Kingsland, a Carpenter. [Reference RG9/245 Folio 172 Page 17]

Any matches?

Trish

Dreamer
06-09-2005, 9:01 PM
Hi Trish

No that Rosina is not mine. She was born 1819 (Christined in St Mary's Church along with her brother Robert) and in the 1851 census was still single living with her mother as a laundress/pauper in Silver Street Rothehithe.

After that I have lost both of them - they disappeared. We are guessing that they were both dead by 1865 when the boys paid for Sarah to come out to NZ. as that would have left her the only family member still in England. But that is only guess work on our part. There is a Margaret's death in Greenwich in 1851 but don't think it is ours because - how did she get there from Rothehithe with no money.

Really appreciate all your help and insight, it is helping us to look at a few other things.

Pam