PDA

View Full Version : Tuxford

BeeE586
26-08-2005, 7:42 PM
Please, is there anyone with access to the baptism register for Tuxford ?

On of my |banghead| |banghead| concerne Dennis Brett who married Dorothy Ward at NTT Bilsthorpe in 1803, stating he was 'of Rufford', and I suspect he may have been in service with the Earls Manvers as his daughter Faith was married at Perlethorpe which is on the Thoresby estate. His age at death suggests a birthdate c1775.

On the IGI there is a baptism at Tuxford in 1773 - not a million miles away from either place - of a DANIS Brett, but stated to be DAUGHTER of Richard. Could someone check, please, if this really is a girl or a mistranscription ? It is the nearest I have come to finding my Dennis. OR, does anyone have a stray Dennis Brett lying around waiting for someone to claim him ??

Thank you Eileen

kazrbutler
15-12-2005, 6:13 PM
Hi Eileen,

My Mum was in Retford library today checking up Spencer and Fenton family members in Walkeringham (my family history work being a joint project!) - so while there she looked this one up in Tuxford parish registers.

Danis daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Bret 13th May 1773

She noted that, the Danis could possibly be Darris. The surname could possibly have been written Brett, though that was not certain, due to it's location on the edge of the page

The registers for Tuxford at this time were not that easy for her to read, with florid writing, burials and marriages muddled with baptisms, and very faint, so she admits she might have missed something. She did however look a few years before and after to see if there were other Brett events with no success.
Hope this helps, Karen

wonderjaybee
18-09-2006, 1:04 AM
Hello Karen,

Have just come across your post of Oct. 2004 and wondered if you know anything of Elizabeth Spencer b.20/2/1803@ Walkeringham..........parents William and Mary? I've been trying to find the maiden name of Mary for some time. Elizabeth would be my GGGgrandmother if she survived. I say this because I traced another 2 Elizabeth Spencers only to find they both died.
Regards, Joan.