PDA

View Full Version : William Walton Clarence Sheppard

evelynchrystal
19-02-2014, 10:10 AM
This man was born about 1851 in Cheltenham Gloucestershire and married to Sarah Piddington in 1869. He appears on at least two census with his occupation either Actor or Dramatic Artist and I am wondering how I can obtain information relating to his career?
Evelyn

Lesley Robertson
19-02-2014, 11:30 AM
On another thread, it's been suggested to someone else with a showbiz query that a day pass on "The Stage Archives" (cost 5 pounds) would be useful. Of course, you have to hope that his stage and real names matched!

christanel
19-02-2014, 9:50 PM
The 1881 census RG11 piece 3661 folio 34 page 10 has him as a Dramatic Artist and in between and above these two words Painter.
From personal experience the two are not worlds apart!

Christina

geneius
19-02-2014, 10:16 PM
If you google.co.uk his full name a site is listed where tere appears to be fellow 'family' researchers

evelynchrystal
21-02-2014, 2:29 AM
Thank you Lesley. My problem is that I am in Australia. Would you know of a researcher in the area who would look at this? Evelyn

evelynchrystal
21-02-2014, 2:33 AM
Christina, my thanks to you for your response. I can't find this census on Ancestry, only site I am subscribed to at the present, can you tell me how I can find it, please,Evelyn

evelynchrystal
21-02-2014, 2:34 AM
Trying to do this now, many thanks to you, Evelyn

christanel
21-02-2014, 4:20 AM
Hello Evelyn

The Stage is on line Here (https://archive.thestage.co.uk/Default/Skins/TheStage/Client.asp?Skin=TheStage&enter=true&AppName=2&AW=1392956028036)

To find the census on the new search page scroll down to Explore by Location then click on UK and Ireland then click on England (below and toleft of the map) On the next page click on 1881 census. As you scroll down the page you will see spaces to enter the piece, folio and page numbers. Use the ones I gave you for the 1881 census then click on the yellow Search button. It should come up with the page you need.
Christina

evelynchrystal
23-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you Christina, I must be dumb, I sorted the ON STAGE bit out, may have found a reference but only mabee. Comes out there was a William Walton, I will probably never know if it was him or not so I might have to leave that. I cant work out where the neew search page is so I have had no luck with that bit. I do appriciate how you have tried to assist me and just have to say thankyou.
Evelyn

christanel
23-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi Evelyn
Start off in ancestry by clicking on Search in the top bar. Then under the same bar on the right hand side of the page, in very small letters, it will say either Go To Old Search or Go to New Search depending on which search mode you are in. If it says go to Old Search then you are already on the page for the instructions I gave in my previous post. :smile5:

The old search will not be available after the beginning of March which is why I gave you the instructions for finding it in the new search.

Christina

carolchipp
24-02-2014, 1:19 AM
If this is the same William WC Sheppard who died in Wigan in April 1891 (acccording to a public tree on Ancestry), hid death was mentioned in a letter to the Era, with an appeal for his widow and children. It would appear he was known as WC Sheppard, in which case he is mentioned regularly in the Era under Provincial Theatricals. If this is your man, I'll try to send you the article.
Carol

evelynchrystal
24-02-2014, 9:36 AM
Hello Christina,
Finally got it, many thanks,
Evelyn

evelynchrystal
23-03-2014, 1:11 AM
This is my reply to Carol,
Carol I missed reading your message, only just found it. I thank you for it, it sounds very interesting and I would love to see the message you said you would try and send. Many thanks, Evelyn