PDA

View Full Version : Robert Wingfield of Ockbrook or Borowash

Rav78uk
24-08-2005, 1:11 PM
I have been researching my paternal ancestors, who at one time lived in the Derbyshire area and am hoping that somebody here might be able and willing to assist me.

What I know is as follows:

Robert Win(g)field was born in either Ockbrook or Borrowash in approximately 1838 (depending which census you look at - the villages border each other and I believe are now considered to be almost the same place) Robert appears in the 1861 census lodging in Poplar, London, along with his future wife's brother. He was married in 1863 in Poplar, where he lived for the rest of his life and died in 1892. I have not seen the 1851 census, so I don't know whether any further information can be obtained from there.

I know from Robert's marriage certificate that his father was William Win(g)field, employed as a 'malter' at this time.

I have found a five year old Robert in the 1841 cenus living in the Parish of Spondon. The head of the house is one Elizabeth Winfield, aged 60. To me she seems to old to have a 5 year old son. Other household members are as follows:

William Winfield - aged 35 - occupation unclear
Robert Winfield - aged 25 - stockinger
**** Winfield - aged 21 - agricultural labourer
John Winfield - aged 10
William Winfield - aged 8

I believe that it is possible that John, the younger William and the younger Robert could be the children of the elder William - who in turn could be the son of Elizazbeth. Perhaps William's wife had died and he had moved back with his mother to care for the children?!?

Of course this family may not be mine at all, but they do seem to be the closest one that I have found so far.

I know of at least two other Robert Win(g)field's of a similar age who were born in Ockbrook and Elvaston to James and John Winfield respectively. I had initially received some records from relatives that indicated that James Winfield was in fact the father of my Robert, however the marriage certificate of Robert (which I know to be correct) would seem to rule this out. I am however keeping an open mind.

Is anyone able to assist with this in anyway please?

Regards,

Daniel Winfield