PDA

View Full Version : British South Africa Company Scout?

Noble1
09-01-2014, 8:02 PM
Where can I find out more information on my great grandfather enlisting as a scout in the British South Africa Company, he was from he was from Doncaster South Yorkshire (West Riding) he may have joined during or after the Boer War.

I do not have any military service number or documented evidence to state categorically that my ancestor served in the military. His name was William Noble b.1880, Doncaster England, all that I have is some oral history from family members who say they think he was in the Boer war, they remember an old photograph of him in khaki military dress wearing what has been described as a Canadian mounty type hat (campaign type?) and that he also was in Egypt, this has led me to think he served in the company as a scout i.e Baden Powell.

Were there many men from the UK (Yorkshire region)who joined the company? if anyone has any information I would really appreciate your help as I have had little luck researching him so far.
Many Thanks,

christanel
09-01-2014, 11:05 PM
The National Archives of Zambia hold the Records of the British South Africa Company 1887-1924.
The UK National Archives also have some records but none of them relating to possible members of the military that I can tell after a quick look.

You don't have the photograph/a copy you mention? It may help in identifying which regiment he was in, or not.

Did he have a middle name which could help sort him out from the numerous William Nobles in the records? Parent's names?

Christina

Noble1
10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi Christina,
Thank You very much for replying to me and for this information, as to the location of the photograph it may well no longer survive.
I think it is going to take quite a lot of investigating we think he could have had a middle name of 'Arthur', but on censuses and birth (without getting the full certificate or baptism record) it is just William, he was born in Doncaster and lived his life. His parents were Ann Noble ( remarried name Wragg) and Thomas Noble d. 1890)

Lesley Robertson
10-01-2014, 3:59 PM
Which censuses have you found him on?

If his mother was Ann Wragg, he's on the 1901 as a bricklayer's labourer.
And in the 1911, married to Martha, still a labourer.
And in the 1891 as the son of Joseph and Ann.

He was only 30 then, so could easily have been in ww1, hence the khaki?

I can't find a second one b. 1880 in Doncaster....

There's a lot of medal cards under that name!