PDA

View Full Version : TATE family inquiry - new user

Sally Ratliff
23-08-2005, 4:08 AM
Trying to obtain information on my gg-grandfather: John A. Tate, b. 25 July 1803, Cumberland, England.

Immigrated to US in 1832 via Whithaven (London to Philadephia, PA), Residence in Castleton, Indiana, USA

Married in approx. 1825 to Mary _____. Last name unknown. She also was from England but she did not immigrate on same ship.

Would like to find out John's parents names as well as Mary's last name & her parents. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!

Geoffers
23-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Some thoughts on starting to search for your chap:
A good place to begin is GENUKI, the URL for Cumberland is http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CUL/

There are lists of surname interests online. I've just tried searching for the Cumbria (the modern county covering what was Cumberland) list but it is not available at the moment. Use a search engine and enter "Cumrbia Surname list", it may be available later.

The local Family History Society may have a member researching the same family.

continued.......

Geoffers
23-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Cumberland is quite a large place and so you need to narrow down the area where he may have been baptised so that you can try searching parish registers for information. Although your chap emigrated, other members of his family may have stayed behind. It is worthwhile searching the 1861 (or 1851) census to see where the name occurs in the county. Get a map of the area and pinpoint the birthplaces, see if any clusters appear where you might begin looking for a baptism.

I've just searched an index to 1861 and there are obvious groupings in the Whitehaven and Cockermouth districts - similarly, there seems to be a group around Wigton and also Carlisle. Westmorland is close to Cumberland and he could easily have been born there, so also check that county. Similarly, the north of Lancashire is not far away and may also be worth checking.

There are maps online: www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/) and maps can easily be bought either via Amazon, Blackwells, or direct from the publisher

Geoffers