PDA

View Full Version : Surname Steel, Hardisty,Robinson, Cheldrey,

paulbol
02-01-2014, 3:17 PM
Hi all,

I have traced my family back to the 1600s Yorkshire, just wondered how i can find out if any were in the civil war.

Surnames Steel, Hardisty,Robinson, Cheldrey,Deighton, Smithson.

Areas these people came from Hampswaithe, Killinghall, near Harrogate. Yorkshire
Fewston Yorkshire.

On ancestry there is below, but can't find any proof of Captain Francis Steel. emailed owner but did not get back to me.

Christopher 'Xpopher' Steele
Birth 2 June 1528 in Barthomley, Cheshire, England
Death 7 December 1595 in Harrogate, Yorkshire, England

Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England, Governor of Knaresborough Castle

Great Grandson

Captain Francis Steel
Birth 1622 in Hillthwait, Yorkshire, England

Military
1643 Age: 21
Yorkshire, England

Served as a captain under the Marquess of Newcastle during the Civil War

Any help would be great.

Paul

Nicolina
02-01-2014, 10:45 PM
I need to find my old records but I also have HARDISTY (sometimes HARDESTY) in my tree. Looks as though they could be the same family.

Nicolina
02-01-2014, 10:52 PM
the earliest HARDISTY I have, is Dorothy born about 1666 in Hampsthwaite. I also have 9 siblings.

paulbol
03-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Hi

all the Hardisty are related, they came from five family in Killinghall & Hampswaithe, before that they came from Fewston.

traced through wills and land, tax i have got them back to 1400s. there was only two churches in Killinghall & Hampswaithe, area St. Thomas A Becket Church, Hampsthwaite or All Saints Church, Ripley Yorkshire.

Dorothy Hardesty Bamptism 6 Oct 1666 St. Thomas A Becket Church, Hampsthwaite

Birth 6 Oct 1666 in Hollins [Hall], Killinghall, Ripley Yorkshire
Death 1760 in Hollins [Hall], Killinghall, Ripley Yorkshire

Father =

Thomas Arthur Hardesty Gentleman

Birth 1642 in Holling (Hall ) Killinghall, Ripley Yorkshire, England
Death 1709 in Holling (Hall ) Killinghall, Ripley Yorkshire, England

Christening
1642 4 Sep
St. Thomas A Becket Church, Hampsthwaite

Thomas s. of Arthur Hardesty bap. 04 Sep 1642,St. Thomas A Becket Church, Hampsthwaite The first known church to be built here was probably completed about 1180 and is believed to have been constructed by Hugh de Morville the then Constable of Knaresborough

Paul

Nicolina
03-01-2014, 1:14 AM
just had another look at my tree and found even earlier ones. John who died in Fewston 27th Dec 1616 and his wife Dorothy. Also their son John 1584 - 1627
You obviously have researched them more diligently then I have but it's good to find a connection to another cousin no matter how many times removed.

paulbol
03-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Hi

Yes its nice to chat to a cousin, heres the line back to John Hardistie who died in Fewston 27th Dec 1616

John Hardistie (1476 - )

John Hardisty (1500 - )
son of John Hardistie
William Hardisty (1525 - )
son of John Hardisty
John Hardisty (1555 - 1616)
son of William Hardisty
John Hardisty (1584 - 1625)
son of John Hardisty
Dorothy Hardisty (1606 - )
daughter of John Hardisty

Bit more info

Pately Bridge & Nidderdale Herald (1988), that “In 1681 William and Arthur Hardisty purchased the manorial rights of their part of the Forest of Knaresborough, and most of the Hardistys were listed in wills as yeoman”.

Hardisty House listed build 1728

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/default.aspx?pid=2&id=331432

FEWSTON HARDISTY HILL SE 15 NE (east side, off) Blubberhouses 2/40 Hardisty House GV II House. Dated 1728 with late C17 remains. Probably for William Hardisty. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays, with rear outshut. Quoins. Central half-glazed 4-panel door, doorcase with moulded quoined jambs and ogee lintel with raised lettering, " H 1728". WH 5-light recessed chamfered mullion window to both floors, left, 3-light flat-faced mullion windows to right, both floors. Bulbous kneelers, gable coping, banded central ridge stack and right end stack. Rear: central stair window with transom. Left return: recessed chamfered cross window in outshut, this wall pebble-dashed. Interior not inspected. The house-name 'Hardisty' also occurs in the parishes of Denton and Nesfield with Langbar.

Regards

Paul

Peter Wood
16-02-2014, 7:36 PM
Hello Paul

Are you able to tell me where you found out that Capt. Francis Steel served under the Marquess of Newcastle?

I have an ancestor, John Wood of Bramley near Leeds, who died in 1643 and may have similarly served, but I am stuck!

Regards

Peter Wood

paulbol
16-02-2014, 9:48 PM
Hi Peter,

Its a Ancestry tree,Not mine, I can't find any proof of Captain Francis Steel,
1643 who Served as a captain under the Marquess of Newcastle during the Civil War.

Paul

Peter Wood
17-02-2014, 4:10 PM
Thank you very much for that, Paul

Peter

Sukuma
04-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Another Hardisty descendant here, though not sure how you managed to trace back as far as you have. I have managed to get back to a family in Terrington and pulled up some Church records of baptisms there from a Thomas Hardisty. Any hints on where to look to further back?

Regards,

lutonjac
10-10-2016, 8:59 AM
We have an ancestor who was a Captain in the Earl of Northampton's Regiment of Horse during the Civil War, he was Captain Valentine Knight. Can somebody kindly point me in the right direction to find out more about him - are there any Royalist records available to search. Thanks.