PDA

View Full Version : St Saviours, Southwark query on marriage.

Di&Trev
21-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone
Wonder if anyone has access to the PR’s for St Saviours, Southwark or any of the Southwark or Kennington churches?
I am (still :( ) searching for a marriage between a Susan (Susanna Martha) and an Edward (Kennington) Adlard, circa 1817- 1819.
I have Susan in the 1861 census as follows:
1861 census
Susan Adlard. abt 1798. St Saviours, Surrey, England. Head. St George in the East, Middlesex.
Martha Brown. abt 1848. Camberwell, Surrey, England. Granddaughter. St George in the East, Middlesex.
No occupations given for either of them.
1 Red Head Lane
Civil parish: St George in the East
County/Island: Middlesex
Source information: RG9/281
Registration district: St George In The East
Sub-registration district: St John
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Folio: 163
Page: 28
Susan and Edward had four children Rebecca Sarah 1819, Henry Samuel 1824, Edward John 1828, and Ann Susan in 1831. Rebecca, Henry & Edward had adult christenings in 1837 in St Mary’s Newington, I haven’t been able to find a christening for Ann Susan her age is estimated from her marriage record, and her father is dead by the time of the marriage in Dec 1850.
If anyone can help me to find Edward & Susan’s marriage or any other information about either of them I would be very grateful. I am completely stumped |banghead|

Patricia Jones
02-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Edward Adlard married a Rebecca Dunning 27.1.1819 St Anna Soho Westminster London. IGI (www.familysearch.org )
As there was an age gap between his daughter Rebbeca and Henry Samuels births, perhaps he married twice. I have you tried Ancestry to see if they are listed on Pallots Marriage Index but found nothing.
I have found Edward and Rebbecca in the 1851 census under the name of ALLARD , he is 60 she is 70 he is a Taylor. Living at 12 Durham Street Lambeth.
Patricia (Also in North Wales)

Di&Trev
03-09-2005, 3:25 PM
Thanks Patricia
Much appreciated your help. However, unfortunately I don't think its the same Edward Adlard. Edward & Rebecca I found on the 1861 still living together, by which time MY Edwards daughter Ann Susan says he's dead when she married in 1851, and Ann Susans mother, Susanna Martha (Susan)MY Edwards wife, is alive until 1864. I suppose there could be a bit of bigamy going on but I am forced at the moment to assume two Edward Adlards at around the same time. There are not many Adlards in London, most of them seem to be in Northamptonshire so the two Edwards are possibly related so I am compiling a file of all refs to them that I come across in case I can piece it together at some point. The 51 census info you have given will be useful for that, so I am grateful to you.
Warm regards
Diane