PDA

View Full Version : William George SMART - Harrods

MacGregor
30-09-2013, 3:26 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the Chelsea Herald, 30th August, 1884. The British Newspaper Library does not appear to have this newspaper, so wonder if a trip to Kensington is going to be needed.

With many thanks.

Sue Mackay
30-09-2013, 3:41 PM
I can't say I've heard of the Chelsea Herald in the UK, though that doesn't mean there wasn't one. There was a newspaper of this name in Chelsea, Michigan at the right period.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85033598/

Presumably you have seen a reference to this paper concerning a William George Smart?. Could it have come from an American paper?

usernick
30-09-2013, 4:14 PM
Well, digital copies of the Chelsea Herald do exist, but I believe they're only available via libraries/record offices (via Gale)?

"Chelsea Herald.
London. (Feb. 23, 1884)-(Dec. 6, 1884)
Weekly; No. 2 (Feb. 23, 1884). -- No. 43 (Dec. 6,
1884)(Kensington and Chelsea); Continued as: The
Chelsea Herald and West London Standard.
Reel: 3266"

Gale (similar to the British Newspaper Library project) is a collection of digital newspapers/pamphlets/etc which aren't, unfortunately, available to the General public via the internet. I believe that some record offices/libraries/etc have access to it?

Cheers,

Nick

mikejee
30-09-2013, 8:27 PM
The Chelsea herald does not appear to be on the Gale website. In fact the British Newspaper library has a much better selection, and I think most that are on that are on Gales.

Sue Mackay
30-09-2013, 8:33 PM
Well, digital copies of the Chelsea Herald do exist, but I believe they're only available via libraries/record offices (via Gale)?

"Chelsea Herald.
London. (Feb. 23, 1884)-(Dec. 6, 1884)
Weekly; No. 2 (Feb. 23, 1884). -- No. 43 (Dec. 6,
1884)(Kensington and Chelsea); Continued as: The
Chelsea Herald and West London Standard.
Reel: 3266"

Gale (similar to the British Newspaper Library project) is a collection of digital newspapers/pamphlets/etc which aren't, unfortunately, available to the General public via the internet. I believe that some record offices/libraries/etc have access to it?

Cheers,

Nick

Well the least I could do after leading you astray was look for you. I have free access via my library card to the Galegroup 19c Newspapers (you may well also have this via Blairgowrie Library) but there are no copies of the Chelsea Herald.

Copies are held at the British Library (see catalogue here (http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1326211265860&vid=BLVU1&fromLogin=true)) but they don't seem to be on the online British Newspaper Archive yet. Still, new papers are being added all the time, so it is worth checking back frequently. Or of course you could visit the British Library at Wetherby, which may be a bit closer to you than St.Pancras :smile: