PDA

View Full Version : ? School Marshes Road Newport Mon 1891

judydog
27-09-2013, 2:44 PM
On the 1891 census my Grandmother age 9 is with her (adopted) family living at 39 Marshes Road in Newport.
I would like to find out which school she attended & if so where might I find the school registers?
Please help, thank you.

pippycat
27-09-2013, 9:01 PM
Judy

I think you should google: historic newport school registers
(1st entry for South Wales Argos newspaper)

You will find something interesting about Marsh's Road School :biggrin:

It doesn't mean your Grandmother attended that particular school, she could have gone elsewhere..but its a starting point.

Rebecca

maesglas/ssclub
28-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi judydog

My wife was born in the marshes area of Newport Mon now Gwent, not in 1891 but 1951, Crindau School was the local school when she lived there, I have seen school records in the Gwent records office now in Ebbw Vale but dont know exactly what schools.

You can google the records office for a list of what they hold.

Robert Purnell

judydog
28-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you very much.
Ebbw Vale has Marshes Rd. boys school records but not the girls.
Best Wishes

pippycat
28-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Ebbw Vale has Marshes Rd. boys school records but not the girls.

Gwent Record Office also only lists Admission records for the boy's school - which is why you should read the article on Historic Newport School Registers.

A man transcribed 20 registers from the former Marsh's Rd School, includes names/dob/addresses/date children left
- he put them onto CD to raise money for Crindau Primary School.

Nothing to say whether its girls/boys school, but there is a contact telephone No. for him.
However, the article is dated 9 Feb 2012 so that may not be current..but these records are now placed with Gwent Record Office.

Well worth trying to access these records Laura.

National archives mentions: Shaftesbury Council School (formerly known as Marshes Road Board School)
record dates: 1879-1913. The records are not online but you could order a copy.

Rebecca

helachau
28-09-2013, 5:04 PM
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & S Wales (Pt 1) 1895
BOARD SCHOOLS
Marshes Road, built in 1880 and enlarged in 1885 & 1893, for 296 boys, 237 girls and 478 infants; average attendance 318 boys, 270 girls and 323 infants. William Harrington, master; Miss E Hawkes, mistress; Mrs Mary Ann Harrington, infants mistress

Ladkyis
29-09-2013, 10:01 AM
I have the Dave Woolven CD of the Marshes school records. What name are you looking for?

Also have Crindau school records on Cd and Newport High School.... as they are up on the shelf in a box I can't tell you what dates but some of the records begin about 1890 I think.

Ladkyis
29-09-2013, 6:27 PM
OK My thanks to Pippycat who looked on the 1891 census at the address and worked out that the surname required was COOPER so I looked on the disk.
The records that have been transcribed start in 1889 at Marshes School and there is no Irene or George COOPER, in fact there was only one COOPER who started at the school in May 1892 and that was Annie COOPER, father Jas. Born 5 NOv 1888 left the school in Nov 1895 when she was transferred.
I also checked the Crindau school records on the same CD and they are not early enough. They don't start until 1900.

Sorry not to have been more help.