PDA

View Full Version : Wiggenhall St.Peter Parish Registers - lookups offered

sally
17-08-2005, 5:07 PM
My mother & I have transcribed all the known surviving Parish Registers for the now redundant church of Wiggenhall St.Peter from the original Register books, not film or fiche.

baptisms = 1695-1929
burials = 1695-1995
banns = 1763-1811
marriages = 1700-1927

For a lookup please send to me direct (if you click on Sally, above member, you will find the link for my address) with the surname(s) wanted & Wiggenhall St.Peter in the subject line. Any entries will be sent as Excel spreadsheet files in attachments (virus scanned before sending). If there is a problem for you opening Excel I can send the files as Word docs instead.

Every effort has been made to make sure the info is correct but we are only human. Please use any entries sent to you as a finding aid only & look at the original if possible – books & film/fiche at Wisbech & Fenland Museum, film/fiche at Norfolk RO.

Sally

carole a
25-02-2008, 9:15 PM
Hello,
I have Charles Jeffries b1826 in my Family Tree. On his marriage certificate of 1848 [Birmingham] he states his father's name as Charles Jeffries occupation Clerk. The only Charles Jeffries that hopefully ties in is a Charles on the census of 1841/1851. He lived at Wiggenshall, St. Peter, Norfolk, born Norwich 1771c,widowed and was parish clerk.

Charles signed his name on the marriage cert. which was unusual for many in those years. In Birmingham alot of Jeffries from Norfolk came to work in the gun trade. Charles was a gun implement maker.

I would be very grateful if you could help me find out more About Charles Jeffries c1771 from your parish registers.

With many thanks, Regards, Carole a Jeffries.|help|

sally
25-02-2008, 9:47 PM
Hi Carole

No entries on baptisms or banns and only one JEFFRIES marriage which may be connected.
1st Dec 1831 by banns
Groom - Jonathan JEFFRIES, single, of this parish, signed
Bride - Sarah BONNETT, single, of this parish, marked
Wit - William CARTER, signed
Wit - Ellen BATTERHAM, signed

burials
22nd Apr 1832 Jonathan JEFFRIES of St.Germans, aged 37, died of Cholera, son-in-law of Bartholomew & Sarah Bonnett buried Apr 1832

(Bartholomew, aged 57, bur 17th Apr 1832 & Sarah, aged 53, bur 15th Apr 1832 both of Wiggenhall St.Peters, both died of Cholera.)

26th May 1859 Charles JEFFRIES of Wiggenhall St.Peters, aged 91, Late Clerk of this parish

23rd May 1832 Elizabeth JEFFRIES of Wiggenhall St.Peters, aged 62, Clerks wife

Looks like this could be your Charles.

Regards
Sally

carole a
27-02-2008, 2:51 PM
Dear sally,

Many thanks for your speedy response. Have had a look at the info. you gave me but very doubtful about Elizabeth and Charles being his parents. Elizabeth would have been 56 if this was the case when Charles was born!!. I still tend to think that maybe they are his grandparents. Especially with the info. on Charles marriage cert. and the fact they he could write
I think that I will have to look further back in records at Norwich [where Charles b1771 states he was born]. He could have been bought up by them due to circumstances.
However once again many , many thanks for your help.

Regards Carole.

ridgeback
14-06-2009, 8:40 AM
Hello

My great Grandfather's surname was Bentley who was born in St Germans I am just wondering if you have any Bentley surnames in your transcriptions.

I have visited the church but the older headstones which survive are no longer readable.

Regards

sally
14-06-2009, 7:16 PM
I have replied to ridgeback off line to say there were no BENTLEY entries in Wiggenhall St.Peter's.

Sally

gritech
23-02-2010, 5:52 PM
Sally

Would like to thank you publicly for your help

The St Peters spreadsheets that you have sent me contain an absolute goldmine of information. I never dreamt I would be as lucky to get as much. Was hoping to find my Great Great Grandfather and possibly Mother but have the whole family as well plus their parents.

Its the motherlode :o)

Thank you again

Gary