PDA

View Full Version : naval help and or advice required please

nijinski
16-08-2005, 5:49 PM
Hello

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding Naval Ancestors please. I am very familier with ancestors who served in the Army as I am ex military myself. However, haveing recently dicovered that at least threee of my ancestors all served in the Navy, I am stumped. If you can guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Sorry if this is incorrect for this forum, but had to ask

Anita

Peter Goodey
16-08-2005, 6:23 PM
You'll find a variety of research guides listed under Royal Navy here: -

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/researchguidesindex.asp

I hope you find something relevant.

nijinski
16-08-2005, 7:09 PM
Hello Peter

Thank you for your reply. I had in fact found my way to that source, but find it so hard to understand with all the WO numbers etc. I am unable to get to London to visit Kew.

I have another question, below is listed on of my ancestors, he had served with presumably the Royal Navy (RN) since about 1880/81, this is his enrty in the 1881 census
James PRESCOTT Son U Male 17 Ireland Seaman H M S (On Leave) (SRN)
and a further entry in a directory
Pigot's Directory for Kent; 1830 edition
Page 34: In Deal, under "Academies & Schools," is:
Nautical School, Broad St. - James PRESCOTT, R.N. master

Does this mean he had rank? would I be able to locate him on a list? (sorry forgottons its name)

This is his brother

1881 census has Daniel PRESCOTT aged 19 years, Occ: Ord
Vessel "Agincourt" Census Place Royal Navy, England after 1881 he disappears off the face of the UK

With the little detail that I have here would I stand a chance of locating their records?

Thanks

Anita

Geoffers
16-08-2005, 8:36 PM
Thank you for your reply. I had in fact found my way to that source, but find it so hard to understand with all the WO numbers etc. I am unable to get to London to visit Kew.
The reference numbers used seem daunting to begin with, but once you work your way around the system it becomes easier. Most references to the Royal Navy are grouped into one large catergory, ADM (short for Admiralty), because there are so many records, this large mass is split into smaller groups which have numbers to identify them, e.g ADM196; these large groups are then split down further, arranged either by name, rank/department, or date

Nautical School, Broad St. - James PRESCOTT, R.N. master
Does this mean he had rank? would I be able to locate him on a list?
I think this is likely to mean that he was a master at the school. The list you mention, is presumably the 'Navy List', head shoolmastes were only included in this publication from 1888

continued....

Geoffers
16-08-2005, 8:37 PM
part 2.....

1881 census has Daniel PRESCOTT aged 19 years, Occ: Ord
Vessel "Agincourt"........With the little detail that I have here would I stand a chance of locating their records?Yes, an excellent chance - for any seamen who enlisted from 1853 onwards, records are fairly simple to find. Daniel PRESCOTT would have enlisted after 1873, so you first need to look in an index at TNA, Kew.

Daniel's records should be in a group which all have the reference ADM188. This group of records consists of lots of large books (I believe that they have been microfilmed now), each of which are numbered. The index is in books numbered ADM188/245 through to ADM188/267. When you find an entry for your chap in the index, it will have a reference number next to it, which should take you to his service record. For RN records it sounds more complicated than it is.

Geoffers

nijinski
16-08-2005, 9:06 PM
Geoffers

You make it all sound so easy. I have copied what you have written and saved it in a word document, One day I might get to Kew and find these records. I really want to as it would be the best part of the flesh on the bones of my ancestors.

Thank you for your time and input it is greatly appreciated

Anita McNeil nee Prescott