PDA

View Full Version : Girling, 1841 census

BillG
16-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Can anyone help me with an 1841 census lookup?
I am looking for Joseph Benjamin Girling, born Gravesend Kent abt 1825 so would have been about sixteen in 1841.
Possible parents Joseph and Elizabeth.
Happy hunting, Bill

Peter Goodey
16-08-2005, 6:33 PM
Bill

You haven't specified an area but there is no national 1841 name index.

If you meant to say Gravesend, I'm not aware of the existence of a name index covering the area. Unless one does exist that I don't know about, a "lookup", as you put it, would in fact be a search of all the census records for Gravesend.

Now that's certainly feasible and I've done that sort of thing myself for my own interests. But so far as I know it wouldn't actually be less effort for someone else to do it than for you to do it yourself!

You can order the film through the Mormons and the film you would need would be the one which includes piece number HO 107/458.

BillG
17-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Thankyou Peter for your information.
Yes The area I am talking about is Gravesend.
I will check out the film at the local mormon centre here in Palmerston North New Zealand.
Once again thankyou.
Happy hunting, Bill

Peter Goodey
17-08-2005, 3:38 PM
Good luck with your search.

I wondered why you said "possible parents". Do you not have his marriage certificate (1845 St Olave)?

BillG
19-08-2005, 9:50 AM
Hello again Peter.
Yes I do have a copy of the marrige cert, Joseph's father is listed as Joseph Girling, Mariner, unfortunately, as i'm sure you are aware, mothers were not named back then.
I have since come across a couple listed on IGI website who's ages and children appear to match those of my ancestors.
As yet I have not verified that these are one and the same, therefore "possible parents".
Any suggestions as to where from here?
Happy hunting Bill

Peter Goodey
19-08-2005, 7:56 PM
I notice in the 1861 census index, there are one or two Girling families in Gravesend but with absent menfolk. I haven't looked at the details. Is one of them yours? Otherwise, perhaps brothers at sea?

BillG
23-08-2005, 9:22 AM
I don't know if any of my family remained in Gravesend after 1845, Joseph and his family were living in the east end, St George in the East in fact in 1861.
Very good suggestion though, will check it out.

Peter Goodey
23-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Looking at the IGI, the missing GIRLING males may be Robert and Joseph.

The IGI seems to have reasonable coverage for Gravesend but there's a worrying shortage of GIRLINGs.