PDA

View Full Version : Dr I.T. Blackmore,L.A.C.P

DoreenH
29-08-2013, 1:19 AM
looking for information on the above doctor. Just received death certificate of Thomas Blackmore,my husbands GGG grandfather. It is certifified by Dr I.T. Blackmore, L.A.C.P in 1875 Hackney Middlesex.

Can anyone tell me what L.A.C.P. would mean and if possible where can I find any information on this Doctor and to see if he is related to the patient.
thanking you
Doreen

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 6:58 AM
Are you sure it's LACP? If it were LRCP, that would be Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, if memory serve me correctly.

DoreenH
29-08-2013, 7:11 AM
hi allan
yes could be LRCP. Where would I find info on him.

Just curious that the treating physician named Blackmore is the same name as the patient. could possibly be related. trying to see if there is a connection.
thanks
Doreen

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 7:22 AM
Feeling my first response rather brief, I'm just going to search at Ancestry and FindMyPast - I shall return!

christanel
29-08-2013, 7:37 AM
family search has an interesting article Here (https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Doctors:_Physicians,_Surgeons,_Dentists_and_Apothe caries_in_England) about the practice of medicine in the UK.

I have read the Table of Registrable Qualifications at the front of the medical registers on ancestry but can't see anything for L A C P

The article on familysearch says Aberdeen was a very popular university for medical training. So could the L be Licentiate of Aberdeen College of Physicians? Then again I could be way off line.

I'll leave the browsing of the directories to you Allan at this stage. I have domestics to attend to.:smile5:

christanel

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 7:50 AM
A quick search at Ancestry and FMP found nothing, but a better searcher might well have more luck! I thought perhaps the I might really be a J, so I tried that too. At FreeBMD there are many people with names like James Thomas Blackmore, mostly getting married in the 1840s or 1850s, some of them in the London area.

If we had what details are available on the gentleman who died, it might give a lead. I'll look for him via his date of death, but any additional detail would help.

helachau
29-08-2013, 8:12 AM
Business Directory for London, 1884 [Pt 1 Alphabetical section]

Blackmore, James T, Surgeon, 303 Old Street, EC and 21 Douglas Rd, Canonbury

Possible candidate?

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 8:19 AM
That does look promising.

I've found census entries for the Thomas Blackmore who died in 1875: the FreeBMD entry says he was 77, i.e. born about 1798, and I have what appears to be his family in Ash Priors, Somerset, in 1851; in Brompton Ralph, Somerset, in 1861, and in Hackney in 1871, but there is nothing to indicate that the doctor was his relation. I can post details of the census entries if the original poster needs them. There is also a probate record: probate went to a married daughter, Elizabeth Grant.

At Ancestry there is at least one tree purporting to deal with this family, but I cannot guarantee its accuracy: even my own tree is probably not 100% accurate, hard and long as I've tried!

Allan

geneius
29-08-2013, 8:20 AM
Just received death certificate of Thomas Blackmore,my husbands GGG grandfather. It is certifified by Dr I.T. Blackmore, L.A.C.P in 1875 Hackney Middlesex

Thomas BLACKMORE died 29 July 1875 at 52 Eleanor Road Hackney. His sole executrix was his daughter Elizabeth GRANT wife of Thomas JUBAL GRANT. Est <£200

A daughter Georgina pre deceased him, she lived at Eleanor Road

It is unusual for a Doctor to treat members of his own family!

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 9:00 AM
Yes, that's one of the things I found.

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 9:51 AM
James Thomas Blackmore, referred to in a previous post: I have found at FMP two newspaper extracts, both from the Morning Post.

The first refers to his giving evidence to a coroner's inquest at Hoxton in July 1864: a case of someone dying from an overdose of morphia.

The second, from 5th November 1859, is an announcement of the marriage of his eldest daughter Harriett Matilda Blackmore to George Hicks, a surgeon. The Blackmore address is Canonbury, as in the reference in the earlier post here.

It seems likely that this is the doctor that DoreenH was asking about, and that he was well established by 1859. Family Search has a man of this name born in Shoreditch in 1812, but I must leave the search to others for a while.

Allan

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Lots more info on James Thomas Blackmore, obtained at Ancestry:-

The 1812 parish register for St Leonard's Shoreditch says his parents were William and Mary, and he was baptised on 26th February.

1841 Census: 24 Old Street Road - Surgeon HO107 Piece 708 Folio 47 Page 2 Civil Parish St Leonard Shoreditch County Middlesex

1851 Census: 24 Old Street Road, Shoreditch - General Practitioner, Licentiate of Apothecaries' Hall
HO107 Piece 1536 Folio 5 Page2

1861 Census: 21 Douglas Road, Canonbury
RG 9 Piece 141Folio 89 Page 48

1871 Census: 21 Douglas Road, Canonbury -
RG10 Piece 296 Folio 8 Page 10

1881 Census 21 Douglas Road - Physician and general practitioner
RG11 Piece 262 Folio 81 Page 37

He _may_ have died 1891 Q4 Sevenoaks aged 79. If so the probate record says he died 21 Dec. He was "of Shoreham Lodge, Sevenoaks" and probate went to George Blackmore, surgeon dentist.

I hope this is the right guy, as I've spent a little time on him!

Allan

geneius
29-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Allan

I hope this is the right guy, as I've spent a little time on him!

Just think, one the learning curve, two maybe someone else's rellie, three what could you have been doing instead of researching!!!!LOL

Allan F Sparrow
29-08-2013, 11:50 AM
It seems I have broken etiquette in my references, but now I can't see how to amend them!

christanel
29-08-2013, 9:37 PM
Hi Allan :smile5:

Fixed. It is something to do with copyright issues I think. I have sent you a pm.

Christanel

Allan F Sparrow
30-08-2013, 6:56 AM
Allan

Just think, one the learning curve, two maybe someone else's rellie, three what could you have been doing instead of researching!!!!LOL

I went off to look for some more ancestors of an uncle of mine, actually!

If anyone out there is interested, the James T. Blackmore who died in 1891 _was_ the same man as before: I found him in the 1891 census at the Sevenoaks address.

DoreenH
03-09-2013, 7:05 AM
To all who have helped me via Allan with Dr Blackmore and my husbands ggg grandfather Thomas Blackmore who died 1875.
Thank you for the information. I will have another look. Sorry for not replying earlier, was away having a carers break.
once again, thankyou
DoreenH

Allan F Sparrow
03-09-2013, 7:07 AM
You're welcome, and happy hunting.

Allan