PDA

View Full Version : HELP! please ~GRAY STREET, Mile End Old Town

Joel
16-10-2004, 8:35 AM
I have a birth certificate for Susannah Harriet GANDON, daughter of Zaccheus and Amelia, born 16th August 1841 at No.9 Gray Street, issued in the Sub-district of Mile End Old Town. I have the Stepping Stones CD of the 1841 census, Why can't I find Gray Street on the CD?
Joel

Copper
16-10-2004, 9:34 AM
I have the 1841 and Gray Street, Mile End Old Town is not in the street index :( The index may not be totally accurate as I "lost" a street in Lambeth in 1841. I did find it eventually by using a map and the enumerators description pages. After all of that my ancestor was not there!

Joel
16-10-2004, 4:47 PM
Thanks Copper, Gendocs lists...
Gray Street East, MILE END OLD TOWN UPPER
Gray Street West, MILE END OLD TOWN UPPER
Quoting 1851 Census, but that takes me no further forward as I have no access to 1851!
Joel

Terry Penn
16-10-2004, 6:04 PM
Charles Booth's online archive mentions Gray Street as under. Quote is from his "poverty map of London" notes, but it describes the surrounding streets, so it should be possible to work out the position.

District 7 - Mile End & Spitalfields

Starting at Nelson Street, Cameron Place on the north side, is respectable, 2 storied 11 houses only on west side of it, trees between wall of the back of Bedford St. & the paving in Cameron Place. Decidedly better than Nelson St. Into Varden St. The road between Turner St. & Bedford St. is poor, then the bit between Turner St. & New Road as l b to purple. Then south down Gray St. 2 sts. west side poorer than East though at bottom (s) ho on East side is a family of Italian ice cream makers.

Hope this helps.
Terry

Copper
16-10-2004, 7:26 PM
I have looked at my 1851 census CDs from now. I found this in the index Gray street, storer street. I looked at the Gray street entries, one or two were faded and so difficult to read but I did not see your family.

I then searched the 1841 index again for Storere street - not listed! I then looked for all of the streets mentioned by Terry and not one listed in the right area.

Getting desperate I turned to my A-Z of Regency London and my A-Z of Victorian London - still no Gray street or Storer street listed.

I have got some domestic chores to do now but I will try and find these streets somehow.

Joel
16-10-2004, 8:24 PM
Very grateful for your efforts,
I have the family in 1851....
Dwelling: 6 Norfolk Place, Greenwich
Zaccheus GANDON 33 Letter Carrier
Amelia GANDON 40 Dressmaker
Elizabeth GANDON 16
Giles GANDON 13
Thomas GANDON 11 newspaper Carrier
Susannah GANDON 9 Scholar
Peter GANDON 6 Scholar
Mary Ann GANDON 4
George GANDON 1

Joel
16-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Terry/Copper, I didn't know about the "poverty" maps, but following Terry's text and getting the maps up on screen I believe I have located GRAY STREET!.. It runs parallel to and between Philpot Street and Cameron place. and links Nelson Street to New York/Varden Street. I now have to try to relate this to the census enumerator's sheets, but that will have to wait until I have time in the week, many thanks both of you! and if you come across ANY GANDONS, I'd love to hear from you!
Joel

Copper
16-10-2004, 10:26 PM
I have just been looking at my A-Z of Victorian London and I have found Gray street. It is where you mentioned in your last posting. I have tried to find the streets around Gray street in the 1841 census index that I have but they are not listed :( I guess the index is not complete - it was compiled some years ago before computers!

tfossey
19-10-2004, 11:37 AM
I have the 1872 old OS map of Whitechapel etc. from the Godfrey series (sheet 63) and a Gray Street in Mile End Old Town appears on this.

Gray Street runs N-S
New York street runs E-W along the top of Gray Street and Nelson Street runs E-W along the bottom. Gray Street is quite short with only about a dozen houses each side. Gray Street is about 700 yards south and 300 yards east of the London Hospital, which is located on the south side of Whitechapel Road (which becomes Mile End Road further NE). Gray Street is about 300 yards north of Commercial Road.

I hope this helps.

Ken Boyce
05-11-2004, 6:02 AM
Go to motco and then to the Stanford or Greenwood map and check via the map indexs