PDA

View Full Version : Drapers

DoreenH
04-08-2013, 8:16 AM
looking for information on Edward Hodges listed as draper in 1869 on sons baptismal records.

in the 1871 census was then listed as traveller.

Wilkes_ml
04-08-2013, 8:50 AM
Where did the baptism take place and what was the name of the son? Where was Edward living in the 1871 Census? If we have more information, it helps us trace people easier through the records most of the time!

helachau
04-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Doreen,
A warm welcome to Brit-gen. If you have found Edward on the '71 Census, can you quote the reference number pl? The use of the reference number irons out problems that occur where different sites have transcribed/captured the details differently.

DoreenH
05-08-2013, 1:09 AM
Edward Hodges Draper.
Cannot find him listed on 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 census. However:
listed as father of Edward Harris Hodges born 6 May 1869 Epping, Essex. bapt 18 Jul 1869 St Marks Middlesex.
mother Sarah Georgina Hodges (nee Hodges). residence listed as 32 Wilmington Square, London.
curious in 1871 census Sarah listed as Travellers wife. (Cannot find a marriage). in 1881 census listed living with son Edward Harris Hodges and brother William Thomas Hodges and aunt Mary Ann Blackmore at 12 Wendell St London

at the same date 18 Jul 1869 St Marks Middlesex was the bapt of Lillie Selina Grant (parents Elizabeth & Thomas Grant) both residing at 32 Wilmington Square London. Thomas also listed as a Draper. Elizabeth is the aunt of Sarah Georgina Hodges.

helachau
05-08-2013, 8:08 AM
You have Edward Harris Hodges's father's name from baptismal records. Have you obtained the birth certificate of Edward Harris Hodges, Jun 1869, Epping, 4a 91 to confirm the baptismal information?

Have found Sarah G and Edward Jnr on the 1871 and 1881 Census.

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 8:50 AM
I would expect that Edward Harris Hodges Junior was probably illegitimate and the mother Sarah Georgina Hodges had a dalliance with someone named Harris and Edward was the product. I would not be surprised to find no father mentioned on the birth certificate.

have you traced Sarah Georgina's family back through the census? are there any Harris members staying with the family, or neighbours who may be likely candidates?

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 8:53 AM
In 1881 they are at Hammersmith London RG11; Piece: 62; Folio: 7; Page: 7 and indeed Sarah Georgina is Unmarried.

edited to say that Sarah and her son Edward are living with her unmarried brother William J. Hodges and unmarried aunt Mary. A. Blackmore.

Sarah Georgina interestingly is supporting herself on interest from money! So maybe she was left some money by a wealthy family member.

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 9:10 AM
Interestingly, I found Sarah and Edward in 1871 at Hackney London at 8 Churchill road RG10; Piece: 326; Folio: 31; Page: 55 (, sharing a house with another couple, and a single widowed lady (it was common then to share houses, I'm not sure if houses were converted to flats like they are now)

Sarah claiming to be married to a traveller! She is aged 21 and claims to have been born Aldgate, Middlsex ( as opposed to hackney in 1881 census). Edward is aged 2 and born Epping.

edited to add that she is indexed under HEDGES in 1871, which is why it took me a while to find her lol

DoreenH
05-08-2013, 9:25 AM
yes I have the birth certificate.
I also have found Sarah G and her son Edward on the 1871 and 1881 census. But cannot find them or verify them on the 1891 census. Edward Jnr left England in 1901 for Australia.

DoreenH
05-08-2013, 9:28 AM
hi, yes that it what I have been thinking over the years. But havent been able to find the wealthy family member.
Her grandfather Thomas Blackmore left his money to his daughter Elizabeth Grant.
Havent been able to find her grandfather Thomas Hodges after he remarried Sarah (maiden name unknown) bet 1836-1846. Thomas Hodges married Catherine Baugh in 1824. Son William is Sarah G father. Catherine died 1835.

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 9:29 AM
Maybe useful is the marriage of Sarah Steple Blackmore (daughter of Thomas Blackmore a miller) to William Hodges ( a clerk, son of Thomas Hodges a publican) both of Bull Head Court, married at Christ Church, London 28th Feb 1847. I expect that William and Sarah Steple are probably the parents of Sarah Georgina.

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 9:37 AM
Indeed, Sarah Georgina was born 14th April 1848 and baptized 16th July 1848 at St. Botolph Aldersgate, daughter of William and Sarah Staple? abode 15 Edmund Place, and father's occupation a clerk.

Although Sarah gives her birth place as hackney in 1881, and Aldgate in 1871, and her age is a few years off in both census, I think we can be reasonably certain that this is the same Sarah Georgina.

DoreenH
05-08-2013, 9:37 AM
Hi, Yes confirmed that Willam Hodges and Sarah Staple Blackmore are Sarah Georginas parents.

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 9:46 AM
It is possible that Sarah Georgina died or married between 1881 and 1901...not always easy to track down. or she may have also emigrated.

yep..sorry, I missed your earlier post about the Blackmores, they daughters certainly seemed wealthy in the 1851 census and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Blackmore Aunts came to Sarah Georgina's aide in her time of need.

I think I found her later working as a dressmaker

Wilkes_ml
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I just realised that the Sarah Georgina who was born in 1848 must have died, as a second one was born in 1849 which I missed!

The only possible sighting of her is in 1901 at Stoke Newington where there is a Sarah Hodges living with an unmarried sister Mary Hodges, both born Hackney. But I doubt this is your Sarah.

The only idea i have for trying to identify Edward's father is to search for bastardy bonds and allegations which may have survived. there may also be notices in the newspaper if any order was made against the father. However, as the family seemed to be pretty independent and may not have needed help from the parish, they may not have been involved in any pursuits for maintenance.

DoreenH
06-08-2013, 9:23 AM
hi again,
the other interesting thing I have is that on Edward Jnrs Austn marriage cert if lists he is widowed, but family lore is that he married someone by the name of catherine/cassie etc but put her in an aslyum before departing England, but still trying to find her and verify that.
Was told years ago by UK Parish source (cannot remember which one at the moment) that whether you are illegimate or not after 1837, you must put the fathers name on baptismal records.

Wilkes_ml
06-08-2013, 10:00 AM
baptism records are different to birth records in the UK. The baptism registers are controlled by the church and their rules and regulations and may differ from church to church, whereas the birth records are controlled by the government and those rules are universal across England and Wales from 1837. I am sure there is info somewhere, but I believe that when registering a birth the father had to be present for his name to be included unless the woman could prove she was married ( and I would guess that meant producing a marriage certificate) but I would suspect that there were a few that did take a willing man along with her to the register office to pretend to be the father.

As for baptism records, I'm not sure what level of poof was needed, but again, I have come across many entries in baptism registers where no father has been named, or a rather has been reputed but not confirmed, and have in my own family come across women who have given a fake father's name in the baptism records.

Wilkes_ml
06-08-2013, 10:13 AM
As for Edward Harris Hodges leaving a wife behind in the UK when he left for Australia, it isn't as mad as it sounds. Though she may not have been left behind in an institute. I had an ancestors sister who left her husband behind when she went to Australia..she had several children in Australia by 2 other men and none of her descendants knew her first husband had still been alive in England (but she never married when her first husband was still alive).

I also had a man leave his wife and 2 kids in the work house, while he went to the USA and he did remarry bigamously..it wasn't that unusual then when divorce wasn't a real option.

You know Edward Harris Hodges left for Australia by 1901, so you just need to obtain and check any potential marriages.

Wilkes_ml
06-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Do you have an exact date that Edward left the Uk for Australia or an exact date that he arrived in Australia. I have a theory, but need to look into it a bit more. I suspect that Edward may have changed his name for some reason, which is why he disappears after 1881.

DoreenH
09-08-2013, 12:16 AM
hi, yes Edward Harris Hodges embarked on the ship Suevic from Liverpool on 29 Oct 1901.
Arrived in Perth Western Australia, stayed on board ship until it reach Sydney New South Wales where he travelled to Goldfields in country town of Bega to take up a teaching position at the new school created by the Carden and Lawler families.
it was to this family of Lawler that he married one of his students. his age 31yrs.