PDA

View Full Version : WW1 concert party research

Kate W
31-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Kate Wills, and although I dabble in family history, I spend most of my time researching military concert parties during the Great War 1914-1919.

The index to my research is on two databases, one noting army concert parties (933 so far), and the other registering names of their members and individual entertainers / performers (3007 so far).

I am always scouting to expand my research, so if you have any information relating to concert parties and entertainment in WW1, or think I may be able to help you, please drop a line.

Regards

Kate

Deeny
31-07-2013, 7:25 PM
Kate,

Do you have information about "The Firing Liners" concert party led by Music Hall artist Nelson Jackson in France during the early summer of 1917? He aslo toured England with the Nelson Jackson Comedy Concert Party. I had no idea there were so many parties and entertainers!

Deeny

Kate W
31-07-2013, 9:38 PM
Deeny,

Nelson Jackson wasn't, as far as I know, in an army concert party, but a civilian entertainer who was a member of an organisation called 'Concerts at the Front'.

In short, professional actress, musician and theatre manager Lena Ashwell created this organisation, and worked closely with the YMCA, who played a major part in providing recreational facilities for the military. Lena Ashwell went around the country tirelessly raising money so she could send professional artistes in concert groups (of around six performers in each) across to the Western Front. Eventually, she recruited 600 to the cause. At first these groups were confined to hospitals and camps on or near the coast, but the biggest need was closest to the actual front. However, civilian women were not allowed beyond a certain point, so several male performers of Concerts at the Front volunteered to form what they called Firing Line parties. One of these was Nelson Jackson.

Lena Ashwell recounts the work of Concerts at the Front in her book Modern Troubadours, which is available as a free download from the Internet Archive http://
archive.org/index.php Unfortunately, Lena (one of my heroines!) seldom mentions her artistes by name (perhaps because some were more active than others) but here is an extract concerning Nelson Jackson:

"...Then there was the night in Calais when I heard the
party of men Walter Hyde, Charles Tree, Arthur Fagge,
Nelson Jackson, and Percy Sharman, who were just on
their way to the firing line. It was wonderful to hear
the joy that these fine artists gave to the men of the
Remounts, who were packed tightly in the hut.

There was rather a good story of a man who had lost his
horse, and, as it was rather a large thing to lose, had to be
reported to the C.O. When the C.O. expostulated and
said, " You might lose a small thing, but of course you
can't lose a horse. What have you done with it ? " the
man said, " Well, it was dark when I come in last night,
and I anchored the horse with a bit o' string, and when I
come in the morning, there he was gone... "

Modern Troubadours includes a whole chapter on the Firing Line parties. Enjoy!!

gasser
31-07-2013, 9:51 PM
There is also chapter in the Stage Book 1917 which is entitled 'the Firing Liners' by Nelson Jackson -you can see it here..
http://
archive.org/stream/stageyearbo1917londuoft#page/56/mode/2up/search/The+Firing+Liners

Deeny
01-08-2013, 8:05 PM
Kate,

Thanks so much for that information and for the great link to Lena Ashwell's book.

She was an amazing woman to have founded and administrated such a worthwhile entertainment organisation for the benefit of soldiers.

Deeny

Deeny
01-08-2013, 8:21 PM
Gasser,

Tony Barker reproduced this wonderfully descriptive piece from The Stage in his Music Hall biography of Nelson Jackson, but I have just thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it.

I hope other members here have followed the link out of interest. They were such brave (or foolhardy!) men, these old Front Line entertainers.

Deeny

islandjj
06-11-2013, 7:35 PM
Hi
My grandfather was a member of concert parties on the western front , Gallipoli and the occupation of Germany in 1919.
His name was Horace Davey ,
I'm not sure if you have any information on him, my Mum seems to think they were called the "mumming birds" I've some photos of the concerts some where if your interested

Kind regards Jonathan

Pamela21
18-01-2014, 4:22 PM
Kate, I'm researching my grandfather Harold Duce who was with the 'Pedlars Concert Party'. Do you know anything about them? I have a great photo of them all, and a collection of early 1900's postcards/photos of music hall entertainers who may or may not have been concert party entertainers during or after WW1. Most of them are unnamed, though some are.

Tony Lidington
28-02-2014, 9:38 PM
Hi Kate,

I have been researching primarily seaside pierrot troupes & concert parties for over 30 years now and would very much like to chat and exchange information about your knowledge of those of the 1st WW, especially as I have now been asked to look at doing some research with local communities and schools on the topic. I hope to hear back from you soon. Tony
PS You can also contact me by direct email - infoATprom-promDOTcom

Fiona Spark
04-07-2014, 5:00 PM
Hi Kate

I work at a school in West Yorkshire and doing some research on an ex-pupil called Phyllis Lett, who was an opera singer in the UK from about 1906- 1924, when she emigrated to Australia. I think she may have performed for the troops in a concert party in the 1914-1918 war - I wondered if you have any information on her?

Many thanks

Fiona

Shropgirl
14-07-2014, 2:25 PM
Interested to read your post on WW1 concert party research. We are looking for an Australian called 'Mac' who was a member of a concert party who performed at Sutton Veney and Paris as well as Rouen area. Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Shropgirl
14-07-2014, 5:02 PM
A bit more information has come to light! The christian name of the soldier was George and the nickname was 'Mac'. There are photos of the party in pierot costumes and one of the groups had a name connected to the troopship Kanowna, hope that helps.

ourkid2
01-09-2014, 4:31 PM
Hi Kate, l am knew to this site, but l noticed a thread of yours from last year,2013, regarding Bert Bray (my gt uncle John Jones ),who was a variety hall artist. his name is on the streatham park cemetery variety artists memorial.l would be very grateful for any information you might have regarding him. you say he has an important role in the talks you give on the role of concert parties during the first World War, how very interesting, l look forward to hearing from you, regards,A...

DavidCarroll
07-06-2016, 8:48 PM
Hi Kate,
I am researching the Wigan Comedian Tom Moss and wondered if you had come across him in your research? I recently found out he was a comedian/singer with the Mummers in WW1. Thanks,
David

Emt.cox
15-06-2016, 8:34 PM
My friend's grandfather was also in the Pedlars concert party and has many photos and memorabilia he was Herbert Adams known as Sandy

Pamela21
01-07-2016, 7:13 PM
My friend's grandfather was also in the Pedlars concert party and has many photos and memorabilia he was Herbert Adams known as Sandy

Just noticed your message. My grandfather was in the Pedlars. Can you e-mail me on this address: pammie2 a t btinternet.com (put the symbol where it says a t ) to exchange information.

Rosemary51
23-08-2016, 11:50 AM
My husband's great uncle was Leslie Fuller and I would like to see any photo's you have of the Ped'lars Concert Party. I don't know the name Harold Duce so when was he with them?

Pamela21
23-08-2016, 12:34 PM
My husband's great uncle was Leslie Fuller and I would like to see any photo's you have of the Ped'lars Concert Party. I don't know the name Harold Duce so when was he with them?

If you e-mail me on the address in the previous post I can put you in touch with Sandy who is researching the Pedlars and has much more information than me.

Rosemary51
23-08-2016, 12:53 PM
When was Herbert Adams with the Ped'lars?

gasser
23-08-2016, 1:22 PM
Have you seen this? Hope link works. http://www.search.birminghamimages.org.uk/details.aspx?ResourceID=8050&ExhibitionID=8604&SearchType=2&ThemeID=712

And this may be of interest as well .....http://theatricalia.com/person/1vmr/leslie-fuller

Rosemary51
23-08-2016, 8:20 PM
I am aware of both these links but I am not convinced that Leslie Fuller was part of the Pedlers group shown. He did not have a brother called Dave but his brother, Ernest, my husband's grandfather, worked back-stage and his wife, Ada, was a dancer with the Ped'lars for a while

gasser
23-08-2016, 10:27 PM
The first link does somewhat answer your query about Herbert Adams .
As to the second link, are any of the facts stated, other than "brother Dave", accurate?

JohnCH
17-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Kate Wills, and although I dabble in family history, I spend most of my time researching military concert parties during the Great War 1914-1919.

The index to my research is on two databases, one noting army concert parties (933 so far), and the other registering names of their members and individual entertainers / performers (3007 so far).

I am always scouting to expand my research, so if you have any information relating to concert parties and entertainment in WW1, or think I may be able to help you, please drop a line.

Regards

Kate

Hi Kate,

I am a volunteer at Blind Veterans UK, and am working on a historical photograph project. I have come across some photos of a Pierrot Clown troupe entertaining at a concert party and with two individuals noted as Sub. Lt. Morley and Ordinary Sewaman Holloway. They were part of a group called The Ten B- - S E - K S (the dashes are missing letters as they are obscured by clothing and other props).

We would like to know more about this troupe as it might help us to narrow down when and where the concert took place. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thansk JohnCH

Tony Lidington
19-03-2017, 9:48 PM
Hi Kate,

I am researching concert parties, pierrot troupes and their members. Are you able to send-out copies of your databases so that I can sift through them in search of names and locations? Thanks for any advice you can give.
You can reach me on info {at} prom-prom.com
Many thanks,
Tony Lidington

Lesley Robertson
20-03-2017, 7:18 AM
John and Tony, Kate hasn't been here since Nov 2013.

Hopefully someone else can help or advise.

Tony Lidington
20-03-2017, 8:26 AM
I think this troupe were the Berserks. I hope that helps.
Tony Lidington

JohnCH
21-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks Tony, that was one of the names I thought it might be, but really had no positive evidence. Do you know anything else about the troupe as I can't find anything on google. If you can help further that would be most appreciated

TonyLee
02-06-2017, 3:20 PM
Hello Kate,

I am very excited to have found a reference to Concert Parties during WW1. I have been searching for details regarding these for many years and think that at last I have found it!

My father kept a diary during his war service from September 1915 and after a year in the trenches, and on learning that he was a professional musician his commanding officer asked him if he would be willing to set up a concert party. As a result he started The Frolics. The full story of this was published in Genealogists Magazine December 1998. My late brother Francis Leeson was the Editor of this journal for some years. I would be so glad if you could get a copy if possible, if not, I could send you a print out of this particular entry. I do hope you are interested, I have tried to find reference to this concert party on the internet without success.

Best wishes,

Tony

Lesley Robertson
02-06-2017, 3:29 PM
As I said in message 25, Kate hasn't been here since 2013.

Tony Lidington
15-06-2017, 6:57 PM
Hi Tony, I have images of several troupes in my archive with the title 'Frolics' or 'Froliques'. Was this a specifically military concert party, or did they also perform after (or before) the Great War? Do you happen to know where they might have performed and the names of any of the other members of the troupe? I should love to see a print-out of the article, if you can send me a copy - that might also help me search further in my collection.
Withe Best Wishes,
Tony Lidington

Tony Lidington
15-06-2017, 6:59 PM
I have nothing more at this stage, but will keep an eye out for them as I go through materials. Let me know if you get any further too.
Tony

AndrewK
07-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Hi Tony - I have just been reading my grandfathers WW1 diary from 1917-1918 - he was in the middle east and holy land and he makes reference to making Pierrot costumes for the "Nomads" I also have a photo of the Nomads in their costumes. The diary entries are all short one liners - so not much detail.
Andrew

fairyfeet
14-04-2018, 1:25 PM
Hi I was wondering if there is any information about the concert group connected to the Northampton Regiment called THE JOLLY COBBLERS if so would you be prepared to share.

Matilda1
07-10-2018, 2:26 PM

Regards

Kate

Hi Kate,

I’ve just been reading about Lena Ashwell’s Concert Party’s during WW1 and wondered if you had come across any photos of these parties during the war. I’ve searched the internet and can find photos of Lena ( though not actually in concert parties )

Researching this topic is new to me, though I have just read Lena’s book.

Would appreciate suggestions as to where to look.
Regards
Matilda

SallyF
16-04-2021, 2:54 AM
Hi Tony - I have just been reading my grandfathers WW1 diary from 1917-1918 - he was in the middle east and holy land and he makes reference to making Pierrot costumes for the "Nomads" I also have a photo of the Nomads in their costumes. The diary entries are all short one liners - so not much detail.
Andrew

Hello Andrew,
I've just come across your post while researching my grandfather, who was also in the Nomads in Palestine in WW1. We have his photos and a few details from what he described, but I'd be interested to find out more, and also to learn about the others who shared his experiences.
Sally