PDA

View Full Version : John Richards, Huntsman with the Badsworth Hunt

Jenjen
14-08-2005, 3:29 AM
I just learnt recently that my 2 Great Grandfather was Huntsman for the Badsworth Hunt. He lived in Thorpe Audlin until his death Nov 20th 1835 aged 40years and 8 months!( Badsworth Church) I have found his wife and children on the 1841 census; Julia33, Mary13,Ann11 Julia 9 and John7. I cannot find any of them in 1851. Julia(29) is in Ackworth in 1861 and is described as a "Fundholder"and John(Joseph) is in Castleford, publican at the Woodman Inn.
Can anyone help me with "Fundholder", 1851 census( Is there an index?) and where to search for records on John's hunting career? There must be a record somewhere.
Thanks Jenny

Guy Etchells
14-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Possible the best person to ask is Mrs. J. Tomlinson-Walsh Secretary of the Badsworth & Bramham Moor Hunt

[email protected]
They apparently have records going back to 1730
see website at
http://www.mfha.co.uk/hunts/badsworth_and_bramham_moor_foxhounds.html

Cheers
Guy

Jenjen
14-08-2005, 8:03 PM
Thanks for the contact. I did try to send an email a few weeks ago to Mrs Tomlinson but it was rejected.Maybe because I was sending it from a library whilst on vacation and the server would not send overseas. Anyway I was just successful in sending the email from home. I hope this will be fruitful.
I have found a couple of articles on the hunt and one even mentioned John Richards name-nothing more. Also an article on Thorpe Audlin which is where they lived.
Jen

Jenjen
16-08-2005, 2:50 PM
Having failed with the email route I called Mrs. TW. She does indeed have access to the records of the B. Hunt and is looking at them for me. Also she will send me photos of church, Thorpe Audlin and the kennels which are still located in Thorpe Audlin. This has led me to do some research on the history of the Hunt-a subject I would never have dreamt of having an interest in. Funny where genealogy takes one!
jen