PDA

View Full Version : Website

SReid80
23-07-2013, 1:49 PM
I'm new to this but have started researching my family tree and am wondering how to do it so that other family members can see where I'm up to. Is there specific family tree software? Is there a limit to how much you can put on it? I wondered if this kind of thing
http://website.1and1.
co.uk/website-builder
might be better as I have no experience of setting up a website.
How do other people do this?

arthurk
23-07-2013, 7:00 PM
Hi, and welcome

As well as this board, you might like to have a look at the one entitled Web Pages Design, at http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/226-Web-pages-design (In fact a moderator might decide this thread would be better moved to there.) This kind of question has been asked before, and there are some useful ideas there.

Before you commit yourself to anything you need to think about exactly what you want to do. Do you want to simply present information, or do you want a site where other people can collaborate and add things?

For the former, one option is to organise some web space - either paid for (as at 1&1) or free, probably with adverts (Rootsweb Freepages is one option) - and then create files for it. The site builder at 1&1 (or a similar package with another host) could do this, but you would in effect have to start from scratch and decide on the structure of the site and the content of each page. Alternatively, most FH software programs can produce the files for a website, which you then upload. Or you can use a WYSIWYG HTML editor (or teach yourself to do it longhand in Notepad or similar) to create your own pages. The amount of webspace you get and the cost vary from one company to another.

The other main option is to use a site where you upload a GEDCOM file (a standard export option from a FH program) and the site's software turns that into a website. There are free and paid options for this, and some allow different degrees of collaboration. It's often also possible to enter people one at a time rather than by GEDCOM, but it's always wise to keep a version on your own computer as well.

If you can tell us a bit more about what you're hoping to do, we might be able to give you a clearer answer. It might help if you can find some sites that you like, and we could then try to advise you on how to achieve something similar.

Arthur

SReid80
24-07-2013, 8:48 AM
Thanks Arthur,

I'll have a look around for something I like. I mainly want somewhere were I can just present the information rather than have people adding to it, athough actually as I write that I'm thinking that it might be good to have some input, especially from the older members of the family who remember more of the family history. There are details of adoptions within the family that could complicate things.

Thanks for your advice.

arthurk
25-07-2013, 2:46 PM
I'm thinking that it might be good to have some input, especially from the older members of the family who remember more of the family history.
Based on anecdotal evidence, I suspect that many older members wouldn't be very happy about adding material to a website themselves, both from a technical point of view, and because the older generation are often more concerned about privacy than the young. Or they might be willing to tell you things privately on condition that they aren't put online. But you know your family, I don't.

There are details of adoptions within the family that could complicate things.
Indeed. The general rule on forums like this is not to mention by name anyone who is or might be alive, and many genealogists apply a similar rule to their own websites. Whatever standard you choose to apply to the content that you write, can you be sure that anyone else who contributes to the site would follow the same standard? And if you were to include anything on living people, can you be sure that private information such as adoption would never be part of that?

It comes down to control, really. If you and you alone create the site, you are in control. On some sites you can authorise others to add content, and I don't think you would be able to check what they write. I wonder if there's a middle way where others can contribute, but everything has to be moderated by you before it is actually published? (I haven't looked into this, because I've gone down the "total control" road.)

Arthur

tony vines
25-07-2013, 8:06 PM
Arthur offers sound advice as usual. I have used one of the commercial genealogy sites that offers free webspace and software which makes putting new information on quite easy and you can also import a GEDCOM file. I did so for a friend who wanted to show his family what I'd discovered about their ancestors. Before doing so I warned my friend that all sites are hackable (vide Lakeland in the UK last Friday) and that if living members were to be put on they must know and give their consent. I then advised that the site be kept private i.e. that only invitees could look in. Also that only one person added information (in the end that turned out to be me). That all seemed to go well but there are things to remember.

First commercial organisations do not do things without profit in mind and in this case the trick was to keep the family tree within the parameters of the free space. That was not too difficult because I did not add media files and I hit a mammoth brick wall in Scotland that I could not get over without spending money, which neither he nor I was prepared to get into. So the tree ground to a halt. However if you create a large tree or add media files you soon run out of free space and they start offering you more, at a cost.

The site owners are also keen that you open up your tree for others i.e. anyone, to add information. Bad idea from the user perspective because you lose control of content and quality and of course other people then start using up your free space without your permission; undoubtedly why the owners like the idea so much.

So in summary, used wisely and with a relatively (no pun intended) small tree (c.200 people) it can be a very simple way to go on the web.

Hope this helps.

SReid80
22-10-2013, 1:50 PM
I've realised that I never thanked you guys. You provided some useful information and after some discussion with the rest of the family and relatives we did set up a website with 1 x 1 but we've kept some things private as we don't really want everyone to know our history. It was just a good starting point and now we're on our way to finding long lost relatives and building up our family history tree! Many thanks and best wishes!