PDA

View Full Version : Seeking COOPER in1841 and/or 1851

robinadexter
13-08-2005, 10:31 AM
My three counties disc does not help, so I wondered if SKS had access to the 1851 and/or 1841 census and could lookup Michael COOPER and his wife Ann in Portsmouth or, possibly, Southampton for me? They had a child christened in St. Thomas's, Portsmouth in 1842. He was a waterman and they apparently lived in East Street. They married in 1825 and had a child (Michael George) in 1827, so they'd be in their forties, probably.
Many thanks. Robina

BRUTNELL
10-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Michael Cooper may have died in 1847 as a death is listed in Portsmouth that year. I cannot find him in 1851 but in 1841 Michael his wife Ann [ born 1801c ] and their children Susannah born 1830c Louisa born 1837 and Edmund born 1834 are all living in East St Portsmouth.

In 1851 I found Louisa F Cooper aged 13 was living at orphenage in Hackney Middlesex.

Susannah was staying an Aunt Lousia [ aged 34 ] at 32 Waterloo St Portsmouth. No sign of Edmund, Michael or Ann.

Cary Christopher
14-08-2006, 3:12 AM
Here is the complete 1851 census entry for Susannah Cooper:

1851 Hampshire Census
Portsea, Landport, District 1gg, page 27
Address: 32 Waterloo Street

Louisa Ogels Head Widow 39 Grocery (born) Northrepps, Norfolk
Susannah Cooper Niece Unmarr 19 Dressmaker (born) Portsmouth, Hampshire

Not sure how they might be related. Louisa Ogles (Ogels) is in the 1841 census living by herself in Norfolk, Coltishall. It has her age as 35 but all ages were rounded to the nearest 5 years (30, 35, 40, etc.) for adults, so her age is within the margin of error.

The aunt of Susannah does not appear as Louisa Ogles/Ogels in the 1861 census that I could find. However, there is a death for Louisa Ogles in Norwich, Norfolk in 1894.

Louisa Ogles appears in the 1871 census as a lodging house keeper in Croydon, Surrey. She a 61 year old widow (born about 1810) and was shown as born in Northrepps, Norfolk.

Louisa Ogles appears in the 1881 census as an "annuitant" still living in Croydon, Surrey. She is a 73 year old widow (born about 1809) born in Northreps (sic), Norfolk. However, in this census she a relative living with her:

Emily Ann Louisa Piercy Grand Niece Unmarr 17 (born) Surrey, Croydon

Emily A. L. Piercy appears in the 1871 census, the daughter of George and Sarah A. Piercy:

1871 England Census
Surrey, Croydon
District 18, page 10
Address: White House Terrace, Titlake (or Pitlake) (exact number illegible)

George Piercy Head Marr 50 Rents of houses (born) Middlesex, Ealing (?)
Sarah A. " Wife Marr 30 (born) Lincoln, Willingham
George " Son 15 Engineer's clerk (born) Middlesex, London
Edward Ahall. It has her age as 35 but all ages were rounded to the nearest 5 years (30, 35, 40, etc.) for adults, so her age is within the margin of error.

The aunt of Susannah does not appear as Louisa Ogles/Ogels in the 1861 census that I could find. However, there is a death for Louisa Ogles in Norwich, Norfolk in 1894.

Louisa Ogles appears in the 1871 census as a lodging house keeper in Croydon, Surrey. She a 61 year old widow (born about 1810) and was shown as born in Northrepps, Norfolk.

Louisa Ogles appears in the 1881 census as an "annuitant" still living in Croydon, Surrey. She is a 73 year old widow (born about 1809) born in Northreps (sic), Norfolk. However, in this census she a relative living with her:

Emily Ann Louisa Piercy Grand Niece Unmarr 17 (born) Surrey, Croydon

Emily A. L. Piercy appears in the 1871 census, the daughter of George and Sarah A. Piercy:

1871 England Census
Surrey, Croydon
District 18, page 10
Address: White House Terrace, Titlake (or Pitlake) (exact number illegible)

George Piercy Head Marr 50 Rents of houses (born) Middlesex, Ealing (?)
Sarah A. " Wife Marr 30 (born) Lincoln, Willingham
George " Son 15 Engineer's clerk (born) Middlesex, London
Edward A. " Son 13 Scholar (born) Ditto, ditto
Thomas H. " Son 11 Scholar (born) Surrey, Croydon
Sarah H. " Dau 10 Scholar Herts., St. Alban's
Emily A. L. " Dau 7 Scholar Surrey, Croydon
Jessie Bryant Serv Unmar 18 (female) General servant domestic (born) Surrey Croydon

================

However, the 1861 census I believe holds the key to the relationship between these children and Louisa Ogles:

1861 England census
Surrey, Croydon
District 13, page 68
Address: Mead Place

George Peercy (sic) Head Marr 40 Proprietor houses & Lands, (born) Middlesex, Brentford
Emily " wife Marr 26 (born) Hants. Portsmouth (so these are the children of Emily Cooper which makes Sarah A. Piercy in the 1871 census is his 2nd wife)
George " son 5 Scholar (born) Middlesex, Islington
Edward " son 3 Ditto (born) Ditto, ditto
Thomas " son 2 (born) Surrey, Croydon
Herbert " son 3 mos. (born) Ditto, ditto
Elsie Thomas serv Unmarr 15 Nursemaid (born) Middlesex, London

=======================

I found the death for Emily Piercy in 1865:

Emily Susannah Piercy (her maiden name will be Cooper)
Died 1865 1st quarter
Croydon, Surrey
Volume 2a, page 146

So all of the children for this family listed in the 1871 census belong to her.

=======================

Louisa Ogles is living as a boarder in Croydon, Surrey in the 1891 census. No relatives living with her, living on her own means.

I hope this fills in some of the blanks on this other Cooper relative.

Good luck! My email is [email protected]. I'm going to try and figure out the Louisa Ogles connection to your family. Will let you know what I find out if you send me an email.

Cary C.

Cary Christopher
14-08-2006, 3:15 AM
I apolgize for the messed up 1871 census entry for your family. Disregard the first one on my previous message. The 2nd one has the correct information.

This website uses parsing to eliminate "gaps" in messages. Unfortunately, the parsing also does some really strange things on long messages.

My apologies.

Cary C.