PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Boer War uniform?

GeoffD
13-08-2005, 12:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/geoffd/FamilyHistory/White_Dyer_Unknowns/BudleighSaltSoldier.jpg

I have this unidentified studio photograph from my grandmother's collection. The general style of the clothing suggests that it is contemporary with the Boer War.

Ladkyis
13-08-2005, 1:12 AM
I would have said it was after 1906 because the younger boy at the back is wearing what looks like a boy scout uniform and the Boy Scouts were not started until 1906 when Robert Baden Powell took the first group of boys to Brownsea Island for the first ever camp - and that was after he had become famous for his exploits in South Africa when he was besieged etc - that being where the idea for the Boy scout movement started.

The collar on the blouse of the seated lady also looks late Edwardian rather than early.

Ann

Procat
13-08-2005, 1:20 AM
I wonder if a Google search for the name of the photographer would help?

I can make out it is Blackburn but the rest eludes me.

GeoffD
13-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I wonder if a Google search for the name of the photographer would help?

I can make out it is Blackburn but the rest eludes me.

H T Blackburn, Budleigh Salterton I thik, but I'll check the original.

I would have said it was after 1906 because the younger boy at the back is wearing what looks like a boy scout uniform and the Boy Scouts were not started until 1906 when Robert Baden Powell ...

Point taken, Ladkyis. So more likely WW1.

Buckinghamster
16-08-2005, 2:10 PM
Looks more to me to be WW1 - and a Yeomanry Regiment, as they carried bandoliers across the chest as they usually were mounted. As the photographer is in Devon, try Devon County Records or Museum for more info on the Yeomanry
Regiments.

Terry
16-08-2005, 4:32 PM
The picture you've posted is a bit dark- are there any collar badges on the soldier?

Terry
16-08-2005, 4:40 PM
Just checked Kellys 1910 directory for Devon (Archive CD Books (http://parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_661.html) version) and it has an entry
Blackburn Frederick Tom, photographer, High street & Station road, Budleigh Salterton

He is not listed in the 1923 version, again ACDB version on CD

GeoffD
17-08-2005, 1:42 AM
Terry, I can't make out any collar badges on the original scan, but I'll dig out the photo and have a go with a magnifying glass. And yes, it is F T Blackburn.

Buckinghamster, I too was thinking something mounted, as the bandolier is very much like what the Aussie Light Horse wore.

I think this might be the soldier that visited and much impressed a young Frederick White, recently deceased well into his 90s, so much that it was one of the stories passed down to his children and mentioned in his funeral eulogy.

Terry Reeves
21-08-2005, 11:01 PM
He could be in any number of regiments or corps unfortunately. Horses were an integral part of the British army until the 1937 when they became fully mechanised. Each branch of the army had their own horsed transport, both individual riders and wagon drivers were all equipped with bandoliers.

Terry Reeves