PDA

View Full Version : Is there any good news ANYWHERE?

Colin Rowledge
06-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I am personally sick and tired of the "news media"

I buy my local [Oakville] paper - 3X weekly
I buy my national papers - daily
I buy my 2 inteerational's weekly

Having read them, cover to cover - including the ad's - sexually implicit, I may add - less than 10% has any semblance of 'good news. I know that the industry needs to promote the 'bad news'" as it is current -- the attack in London, the killings in Ontario as well as other matters world-wide, but why aren't the 'hero' or the 'good news' stories given 'front-page' headlines.?

As a person rapidly approaching the biblical 3 score and ten, I might be more inclined to reserve my T.V. viewing to just game shows and stop reading the newspapers.

Colin

Nicolina
06-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I've already stopped reading newspapers Colin. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the bad news. It seems to be the world we live in. Bring back the good old days.

Colin Rowledge
06-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I've already stopped reading newspapers Colin. Unfortunately it doesn't stop the bad news. It seems to be the world we live in. Bring back the good old days.

AMEN!!!!

Megan Roberts
06-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Isn't it where the old adage came from "no news is good news"?

Or maybe its just a lack of imagination on the part of journalists, authors and owners, that prevents them from being able to write positively.

Colin Rowledge
06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Isn't it where the old adage came from "no news is good news"?

Or maybe its just a lack of imagination on the part of journalists, authors and owners, that prevents them from being able to write positively.

i DON'T KNOW, - I am a 'nobody' and apart from here, my thoughts are barely tolerable. and in the opinion of some members, INTERORABLE

Colin

Philippa_Harvey
06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Colin, I gave up watching or reading the news, current affairs programs or anything similar many years ago for this very reason. Unfortunately bad news seems to "sell", think of the only good news media that have gone broke in the past because of lack of support. Also, the media seems to emphasise the bad and the nasty instead of otherwise because good headlines aren't "grabbers".

I gloss the headlines of the news sites each day but don't read most of the articles. That way I'm aware of things that are going on but they affect me only peripherally.

It's not worth getting too upset about it because it's there for the moment but will probably eventually change again as things always do. Most things in life seem to be cyclic and do a "go around, come around" thing over a period of years.

Try doing without the papers for a while. It will improve the way you feel (which is the important thing) and the world will still keep going in spite of your lack of attention.

Concentrate on the good things that are around you - they are there in everyone's life and are worth more attention than the other.

Philippa

David Tuson
07-06-2013, 12:46 AM
According to an item on TVNZ today some newspapers will disappear in the next five years and people will have to subscribe to 'electronic' issues. That will make the crosswords a bit hard - how will I keep the screen clean with all the white correcting fluid I use to rectify incorrect answers?

Philippa_Harvey
07-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Subscription only access is appearing more and more here too, David. Makes avoiding the bad so much easier, but I do agree with the puzzles. Complete lack of consideration, methinks!!!

:willy_nilly:

Waitabit
07-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Judging by he 'brekky 'shows on TV which I mostly miss due to being on computer sites, it's a competition between pretty, wisecracking, 'reporters' who have been given a sit down job. The stuff coming out of the mouths of some of them shows how much regard they have for viewers.
The Women are almost as bad, but happily there are still some real Women there with enough regard for others & themselves to not get into the dirt. I guess the bosses require it of them to keep viewers interested or to press for the big bucks given away if you want to pledge yourselves to their programe.!

Helps when you can no longer easily read the newspaper, you don't get it. Crosswords, some womens mag's have some beauts, find a friend who doesn't' do them who will pass them along.

Buy a book of crosswords, handy in hospital waiting rooms.
That's it for the good news Colin.
p.s. when the news presenters say, anything is being said, ask by whom? news reporters ofcourse. without them so much less rumour & inuendo being spread.

Philippa_Harvey
07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
We are of one mind on this one Wendy. I haven't watched TV since last October, haven't bought a newspaper or magazine in goodness knows how many years, and I have to say I don't miss any of them.

Reporters are the current "white shoe salesmen" of the world - and to be trusted just as much (just think "Honest John's Car yard" and act or react accordingly). Better still, ignore them completely - so much easier in the long run.

|book2|

Sue Mackay
07-06-2013, 2:24 PM
Subscription only access is appearing more and more here too, David. Makes avoiding the bad so much easier, but I do agree with the puzzles. Complete lack of consideration, methinks!!!

:willy_nilly:

I subscribe to a daily paper on the iPad because no-one will deliver papers to the wilds of Rhoose. The best thing is doing the crossword without having to find a pen that works, and if you mess up the sudoku you can just wipe it out and start again :smile:

CanadianCousin
07-06-2013, 4:49 PM
About 4½ years ago, I moved from Ottawa, a relatively large city (pop. ~800,000), to Corner Brook, a much smaller community (pop. ~20,000). Among other differences, the headlines in the local daily paper provide a refreshing contrast. In Ottawa, for example, the front page typically highlighted crime stories (e.g., shootings and other assaults), government scandals, labour disruptions, etc… While these do occasionally occur (and are reported on) in Corner Brook, it’s far more common to see front-page stories dealing with school fundraising events, service awards, seniors’ birthdays (esp. for those 90+ years old), and planned road closures (during construction season).

I sometimes lament the lack of more ‘interesting’ news reading since moving here, but discussions like this remind me that we have much to be thankful for when these ‘minor’ items are considered highlights. I suspect that those who live in rural areas, as well as small towns and villages, live more stress-free lives as a result.

Don’t worry – be happy!

Tim

Ladkyis
07-06-2013, 8:50 PM
I watched every news bulletin when my son was in the first Gulf War - 1991/2 I am blessed that he came home unharmed. From that day I have read only our local evening paper and watched the local evening news for the South West of England. As I live in Wales this may sound strange but because of the lie of the land the strength of signal for the English transmitter is stronger than the Welsh one.
This means that I never see any bad news about our area on TV and I ignore the bad news in the local paper and read the obituaries - incase it has family in it; the local clubs and societies news and all the good stuff that fills the inside pages. If something really important happens someone will tell me.
This gives me a couple of hours every day when I used to watch the news and I use that time to talk to family on FB or to write the family newsletter or to watch some scrapbooking classes online or simply to read a book.

David Tuson
08-06-2013, 12:44 AM
I subscribe to a daily paper on the iPad because no-one will deliver papers to the wilds of Rhoose. The best thing is doing the crossword without having to find a pen that works, and if you mess up the sudoku you can just wipe it out and start again :smile:

I have to confess that I'm not a fan of "i" devices but I can see their benefits for many people. I like the touch and feel of books and papers and only have a cell phone for emergencies. I tease the grandchildren with stories that we still have a radio with valves and a black and white TV.

David Benson
08-06-2013, 8:02 AM
I tease the grandchildren with stories that we still have a radio with valves

I still have a Crystal set with headphones - no reliance on electricity at all.

David Tuson
08-06-2013, 10:25 PM
I still have a Crystal set with headphones - no reliance on electricity at all.

My dad used to make them in the 1950s - as a small child to me they were MAGIC

David Benson
09-06-2013, 8:32 AM
Probably built my 1st one when I was about 7 or 8 years old. It came as a kit, advertised in a newspaper, perhaps from Selfridges or Gamages, and had a cardboard chassis. I remember going on my bicycle to a shop that sold all sorts of electrical stuff (it was just after the war in the late 40's) and getting a glass diode to replace the lump of coal and cats whisker (wire) that came in the kit. Borrowed a headphone (just the one earpiece) from a neighbour. I was helped (pushed) up the garden washing line posts to attach a long wire for the aerial.

Philippa_Harvey
09-06-2013, 9:13 AM
We always had a crystal set in the house when I was young. Dad made them and like David T I thought they were magic. I remember once when we were "down town" Dad ran into a couple of mates who had their latest model with them and they just had to show it to me. It was smaller than a matchbox. Now that WAS magic!!! :alien:

Philippa