PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions re WW1

annfor1
11-08-2005, 3:33 PM
1. Were there reserved occupations during WW1, e.g. Ag.Labs or gas fitters etc. which released the men from service?
2. Is there any way of determining in which regiment someone served? My grandfather disappears after 1901 (age 14) until 1918 by which time he has moved and changed occupations. I wonder whether part of this time could be accounted for by military service. He was from Soham/Littleport in Cambridge and I have no ideas as to which service he might have entered (if at all!) and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Geoffers
11-08-2005, 9:39 PM
1. Were there reserved occupations during WW1, e.g. Ag.Labs or gas fitters etc. which released the men from service?
Yes, there was a list published by parliament - I'm afraid that I don't know what the occupations were offhand - maybe try using a search engine and see if anything comes up?

2. Is there any way of determining in which regiment someone served?
Not unless you can identify him from the online medal card index via The national Archives web-site - and of course he may have served in the RN, joined the Merchant Navy, the RFC.

Geoffers

annfor1
12-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks Geoffers. re 1 - I'll have a hunt. re 2. I have tried the NA medal records but the name is dauntingly common. James Collins, and I have no idea which of the many might be his - if any! Like many other famtree researchers, I guess I'm hoping to still be around when the 1911 census is made available - it should fill quite a few gaps in my tree.
annfor1