PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Register - what's it all about?

Megan Roberts
27-05-2013, 4:49 PM
This is an extract from a 1909 Baptism register. Any suggestions about what it is all about?

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s576/Megroban/1909Whatsthis_zps0cd92d02.jpg (http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/Megroban/media/1909Whatsthis_zps0cd92d02.jpg.html)

Nicolina
27-05-2013, 5:34 PM
it's for the adult baptism of a married woman, the daughter of Levi and Mary ?
I cannot make out the parent's surname, maybe some-one else can.

Megan Roberts
27-05-2013, 6:16 PM
So its
Elizabeth (married woman) William or Williams

daughter of Levi & Mary

What I am not certain about is whether her parents name was William(s) or whether that was her married name, and whether or not the baptism actually took place, because the rest of the columns are empty.

Nicolina
27-05-2013, 6:47 PM
the parent's surname doesn't look like Williams to me. There appears to be a T towards the end - possibly *ary**(t or h)ing.
Where was it and which year? Maybe it has been transcribed somewhere.

Colin Rowledge
27-05-2013, 6:55 PM
My 2cents for what it is worth - Elizabeth's married name was William or Williams. Levi seems to me a Jewish names and maybe Elizabeth was wanting a family and her hubby wanted baptisms outside the Jewish faith.

Have you, since you know the area of baptism - found an Elizabeth, married to a William or Williams as a surname? Do you have anything else tto add about her?

Colin

Megan Roberts
27-05-2013, 8:31 PM
The year is 1909. The location is Pembrokeshire. The register has been transcribed, but not this entry.

Its not part of my family, but I have been trawling the register looking for family members, either wrongly transcribed or wrongly entered by slap dash vicars (there are a few of those), and in doing so have come across some entries that I either couldn't read, or which sparked my interest.

Thanks to all those who helped.

Waitabit
27-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Megan it may be this way:
Elizabeth (married woman) Williams
Pts?= Jary Eting/Eling Levi & Mary.
Levi being the surname, I've seen many pts written thusly.

Sorry interpretation on Fathers name looks odd but that's how the letters look.

Megan Roberts
27-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Waitabit

Thanks for the thought.

I am pretty sure that Levi was the father's given name, as it was reasonably common in that part of Wales to use Biblical type names. The family name/ surname should have appeared in the 4th column, which has been left blank - hence my previous reference to slap dash / dippy clerics who filled in the registers!

If anyone out there has never page turned a parish register, I can recommend it (providing the hand writing is half way legible) as it can be a fascinating insight into our ancestors' lives.

Sandra Parker
27-05-2013, 10:52 PM
If anyone out there has never page turned a parish register, I can recommend it (providing the hand writing is half way legible) as it can be a fascinating insight into our ancestors' lives.

And thereby whole days disappear somewhere or other, leaving cleaning, dusting, washing, etc not done.
So, if you want to get your priorities right, and have a great time, do as Megan suggests and learn heaps of valuable stuff and maybe find a treasure in the process.
Sandra whose spectacled aura reckons Megan has her priorities spot on!