PDA

View Full Version : Monmouthshire look up..PLEASE..

ricardoylucia
26-05-2013, 5:41 PM
Hi
I am trying trace where my grandfather lived in Monmouthshire - either Monmouth itself or may have been Chepstow..

The date would be 1915 or maybe including one year either side.

Name: Joseph Apsey Long

My father was born in 1915 in either Chepstow or Monmouth and my cousins and myself have a story about our Grandad and we are trying to locate an address..

Regards

Richard

Ladkyis
26-05-2013, 9:09 PM
The electoral Rolls for Monmouthshire are held in the reference library in John Frost Square, Newport. As far as I know they are not online anywhere

ricardoylucia
27-05-2013, 10:00 AM
The electoral Rolls for Monmouthshire are held in the reference library in John Frost Square, Newport. As far as I know they are not online anywhere

Thank you for your reply and I was afraid this may be the case.....not to worry...

Peter Goodey
27-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Where do you live? British registers of electors don't work that way. You have to start with an address because that's the way they're printed - in address order by ward by constituency. There were no registers produced during WW1.

BMD certificates are your best bet in the first instance.

My father was born in 1915 in either Chepstow or Monmouth

You make it sound as if you haven't got your father's birth certificate! The birth certificate is essential.

ricardoylucia
27-05-2013, 1:21 PM
[QUOTE=Peter Goodey;559345]Where do you live? British registers of electors don't work that way. You have to start with an address because that's the way they're printed - in address order by ward by constituency. There were no registers produced during WW1.

BMD certificates are your best bet in the first instance.

I do have my late father's Birth Certificate, but it does not have any address on it.....just his date of birth and where, as well the date registered. My late father was born in Monmouth, why I said Chepstow, I have no reason....

All I have is the address in Monmouth, where my late grandfather lodged in 1911, when he was employed as a grocery manager.

Although as I say, I have the 1911 address, it would be interesting to have his 1915/1916 address due to a family story, but if it means me having to contact Newport, whenever I may return to the UK for a holiday, I will have to do that.

This is one of those problems when one has to rely on online data.

Ladkyis
27-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Why not contact the Gwent Family History Society
www.gwentfhs.info
and ask if they have anyone who could look this up for you. They have a lot of members who live in Newport and who regularly visit the reference library.
I will declare my interest now as a member of Gwent FHS. Unfortunately I can no longer get out to the reference library or I would have popped in and looked myself

margarita
28-05-2013, 7:29 AM
[QUOTE=Peter Goodey;559345]

I do have my late father's Birth Certificate, but it does not have any address on it.....just his date of birth and where, as well the date registered.

Could it be that you have the shortened version of this certificate? I have that for my mother and there is no space for address to be given.

Maggie

ricardoylucia
28-05-2013, 7:40 PM
[QUOTE=ricardoylucia;559358]

Could it be that you have the shortened version of this certificate? I have that for my mother and there is no space for address to be given.

Maggie

Yes, you could be right. What I have is the original and as it was 1915 and World War 1 was on, maybe rules were different then. It is one brickwall after another sometimes...

ricardoylucia
28-05-2013, 7:42 PM
Why not contact the Gwent Family History Society
www.gwentfhs.info
and ask if they have anyone who could look this up for you. They have a lot of members who live in Newport and who regularly visit the reference library.
I will declare my interest now as a member of Gwent FHS. Unfortunately I can no longer get out to the reference library or I would have popped in and looked myself

I will contact Gwent Family History Society and see if anyone may be able to assist me....Thank you...

jac65
28-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi

A short certificate had nothing to do with wartime, it is simply an abreviated certificate that has the name of child, sex, date of birth, Sub district and District of Registration. What you need is a full certificate which you can get from the General Register Office for 9.25 GBP.
As Peter pointed out in an earlier post Electoral Rolls are in address sequence and not in name sequence, also there are none for some of the war years.

Andy