PDA

View Full Version : Murder in Kirtling

searchfamilies
25-05-2013, 8:40 AM
I am wondering if anyone can help i learnt that Samuel Poulter while drunk killed his wife Julia nee Chapman 23rd December 1905 he was found guilty & was to hang but the Home Secretary of the day reprieved him & he served 18 years in Jail he was in Maidstone prison on 1911 census & was released 1924

They had 2 children Maud b 1900 & John b 1905 on the 1911 census John is with his Grandmother Sophia Chapman but i can't find any trace of Maud

The Poulter family originally was Pettitt/Pettit but changed it so some used one some used other on in one case of a sibling got their marriage certificate & children's birth certificate change (with marriage his wife had passed away so why he did it i don't know) this was Charles who lived in Ormesby & Middlesbrough in Yorkshire

So can anyone help with more information on the family or more details of the trial & what happen to Samuel, Maud & John in later life

Thanks

gasser
25-05-2013, 9:25 PM
Link to a newspaper report dated 21 February 1906,
http://paperspast.
natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=TS19060221.2.13&e=-------10-PubMetaTS-1-byDA---2%2522gresford+street%2522--
This account reveals an Aunt living close by......she may have taken Maud in?

shippo
25-05-2013, 10:22 PM
gasser i couldnt get the link to work.

I typed out the article incase the poster has trouble with it as well.

BABE AND A TRAGEDY.

A DRAMATIC KISS. Samuel Poulter, a pork butcher, of Kirtling, a village near Newmarket, stands charged with the murder of his wife, mainly on. the evidence of his five-year-old daughter, Maude. The accused, it is alleged, was addicted to drink, and quarrels between husband and wife are said to have been frequent. Contrasted with this phase of his character was his inordinate love for his two children. In consequence of an altercation a policeman stayed with the couple for three-quarters of an hour. Soon after his departure two gun reports were heard, and Poulter little daughter ran into her aunt's house, crying ''Mother is dead; dada shot her." The dead body of Mrs Poulter was found lying near some stables, with terrible gun-shot wounds in the head. Inside the house Poulter was nursing an infant. To a constable's inquiry he replied, it is alleged: "I took my gun up, went outside,, and as I put it up it went bang twice. My little girl went down to the stables, came back, and said: 'Daddy, you have hit mother. I said: 'Yes, go and tell your auntie to fetch a policeman.' He added: "I would not have done it for a hundred million pounds." In the house was found a gun which had been recently fired, and in the child's cradle, near where Poulter was discovered, was an empty cartridge. A dramatic incident occurred at the inquest on the woman. The little girl had just concluded her evidence incriminating her father, when he drew her to him and affectionately kissed her. At the magisterial inquiry Poulter did not appear to realise fully his position. Asked if he wished to call any witnesses, he replied" "No," adding, when formally charged, I say as I said before the gun went off by accident as I went out of the door." He was committed for trial.

gasser
25-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Sorry you had trouble, shippo, but it will work if you copy and paste into your browser....just done this and it worked for me !
and my apologies you had to type out the article ....

shippo
25-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Jolly thing still wont work for me doing that way :crazy: Never mind no big dramas, it might work for the poster which is the main thing :wink5:

gasser
25-05-2013, 11:24 PM
........ Charles who lived in Ormesby & Middlesbrough in Yorkshire

There is a death registered for a Samuel Poulter [born about 1867] on free bmd which might be a possible
Sep 1935 Poulter Samuel 68 Middlesbro' 9d 588

searchfamilies
26-05-2013, 7:48 AM
Thank you for all your post, on the children i found John who is the baby mention he is in 1911 living with his grandmother but i done a search on not only family members i know of in the 1911 census but also a search for Maud but she don't seem to be around i have sent for her birth she may have a middle name she going under so will look more when i know more, i have even done a search for a death thinking she may have died
but so far it as if she disappeared
I think that the death in 1935 could be my Samuel so may have to send for that certificate, I know he was released in 1924 & as i have said he had siblings up north so very possible he went there his brother Charles died 1938 same area
Can anyone point me to transcripts of the trial of Samuel or where i may go to find them, also do you know what record office would be the best to see the papers of the area is it Newmarket or a different one
Thanks again for all of your help

gasser
26-05-2013, 9:02 AM
See this:
http://
discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C2452887

searchfamilies
26-05-2013, 9:09 AM
How can you get to see it especially if you can't go there Many Thanks

davidcarca
26-05-2013, 6:06 PM
Open the link provided by gasser, click on the green box on the right hand side "order a copy" and follow the instructions.

searchfamilies
27-05-2013, 7:10 AM
Thanks davidcarca