PDA

View Full Version : Esther Hegginbotham, Stockport

DebbieAnn
10-08-2005, 9:31 PM
Looking for information on Esther Hegginbotham (Higginbotham, Higginbottam) born abt 1808 in (or around) Stockport. She married Noah Albiston of Heaton Norris and their first child, Mark, was born 7 Nov 1832. She died in late 1883 in Rochdale, Greater Manchester. Noah died before 1881.

Can anyone help filling in the actual dates? What were her parents' names?

Debbie

Trish
11-08-2005, 3:33 AM
Looking for information on Esther Hegginbotham (Higginbotham, Higginbottam) born abt 1808 in (or around) Stockport. She married Noah Albiston of Heaton Norris and their first child, Mark, was born 7 Nov 1832. She died in late 1883 in Rochdale, Greater Manchester. Noah died before 1881.

DebbieDebbie, I can't help with parents' names, however, how about the following -- do you have it?

1861 census: Noah, 55, and Esther, 53, living in Heaton Norris, Lancashire with children Eliza, 24, John, 20, Eva, 18, Abram, 15, Isaac, 13 and Hannah, 11. All members of the family were born in Stockport. Address: 94 Gt. Egerton St. Noah is a labourer, Eliza a cotton Card ???, John, a cotton card spinner, Eva, a cotton card weaver, Abram, a bleach works ?crofter? and Isaac, a warehouse boy. Hannah is a scholar. Reference: RG9/2561 Folio 52.

1871 census: Noah, 65 and Esther, 64, living in Stockport with son Isaac. All born in Tottington, Cheshire. Address: 16 Club Row. Noah is a farm labourer and Isaac is a railway porter. Reference: RG10/3660 Folio 196.

Trish

DebbieAnn
11-08-2005, 4:50 AM
Yes, I have those, but thanks for trying to help - there were 11 children in all that I know of - Mark married in 1852 (I'm descended from him), Luke married in 1858, Adam was Eve's twin and died at two weeks, Elizabeth died in 1848 at about 3 years, and Mary died in 1846 at nine months, in addition to the ones living at home in 1861. What I'm missing is Noah's date of death and the information on Esther. Can anyone help?

Debbie

uksearch
11-08-2005, 1:48 PM

Debbie

If her baptism is found it may help.I can't promise success,but I can take a look at the PRs for St Thomas,Heaton Norris and St Mary's, Stockport

UK

DebbieAnn
11-08-2005, 6:11 PM
UK,

Thank you so much!

Debbie

DebbieAnn
11-08-2005, 9:52 PM
I found Noah Albiston's death listed as Dec Qtr 1878 in Chorlton. Will this help anyone find the actual date? Where is Chorlton in relation to Stockport?

Debbie

DebbieAnn
26-08-2005, 4:30 PM
UK,

I was wondering if you had gotten the chance to look in the parish records for Esther's birth record at all...

Thank you

Debbie

Certificates
27-08-2005, 8:35 AM
Is one of the Registration districts which adjoins Stockport.

It's basic area is South Manchester, Gorton, Ardwick Chorlton on Medlock etc.

Good Luck

Antony

uksearch
27-08-2005, 1:21 PM
UK,

I was wondering if you had gotten the chance to look in the parish records for Esther's birth record at all...

Thank you

Debbie
No,I didn't spot them.

UK

DebbieAnn
27-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Thank you for looking, UK. And thank you Antony, for the help with the location of Chorlton.

Debbie

DebbieAnn
11-09-2005, 3:20 PM
UK,

Would the Manchester Library have a record of Esther Hegginbotham's marriage to Noah Albiston? Their first child, Mark, was born in 1832, so they probably married between 1830-1832. I have never been able to come up with the actual date of their marriage, but odds are it was in Heaton Norris or Stockport.

Also, would there be a record of Esther's death in the last quarter of 1883 in Rochdale, Manchester, with the actual date? And what relative certified her death? Or do I need to send for that certificate?

Thanks,

Debbie

uksearch
11-09-2005, 3:34 PM
You can check which registers MCL has at the following link

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/arls/registers/index.htm (http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/arls/registers/index.htm)

For the death you could have a look at freebmd or lancashirebmd.If it is not there then you would need to check out the GRO index.If the death was registered in Rochdale that would be the (local) place to apply for the certificate.

UK

PS There are four Heatons...Mersey,Chapel,Norris and Moor

DebbieAnn
11-09-2005, 5:30 PM
UK,

Thank you - I took a look, and the only place that the marriage might be found is in: Stockport St. Mary's Marriages-1818-1837- MFPR 377B. Would you mind seeing if you could find it for me there?

The death info I have is from FreeBMD. Didn't realize Rochdale had so many churches, and that most of the burial records end at 1837 - I guess the best way to get that info is to send for the certificate, which I will do.

Thank you, again,

Debbie

uksearch
12-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Thank you - I took a look, and the only place that the marriage might be found is in: Stockport St. Mary's Marriages-1818-1837- MFPR 377B. Would you mind seeing if you could find it for me there?

I will certainly take a look.However if it is not there,there are other places to look.Stockport,St Peter's and Didsbury, St James unfortunately MCL does not have film of these PRs for the time scale that you are looking at.Another possible venue is Cheadle.

UK

DebbieAnn
12-09-2005, 8:00 PM
Unfortunately, I live across the pond, and don't have access to data unless it can be found online, or is indexed online. So...:(

Debbie

uksearch
13-09-2005, 1:05 PM
I could not spot this wedding at St Mary's ,Stockport.Why not give the following link a dose of looking at?

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/communitypeopleliving/historyandheritage/accesstorecords/?a=5441 (http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content/communitypeopleliving/historyandheritage/accesstorecords/?a=5441)

They will be able to tell you which bmds they have either on film or in the archives.

UK

uksearch
14-09-2005, 3:14 PM
Another possible venue is Cheadle.

UK
St Mary's,Cheadle 1828
Noah ALBISTON of this Parish & Esther HIGGINBOTHAM of this Parish were married...by Banns...this 30th Aug.Both marked.Witnesses Henry SMITH (Church Official) Chas ALBISTON.

I had a quick scan of the Baptisms.I did not spot her.These registers are difficult to read and really need more time spending on them than I can spare.

UK

DebbieAnn
15-09-2005, 4:49 AM
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!! You have no idea how long I've tried to find this! You are ACES, the BEST, WONDERFUL!!!!

Debbie

uksearch
15-09-2005, 1:12 PM
Thank you:o ,but having local knowledge of the area and its history are a great help.

UK