PDA

View Full Version : Viewing original images on Ancestry

sheilastain
15-05-2013, 2:55 PM
Hi Everyone

I thought I would share my new discovery with you. Apologies if you are all already aware of this.
I am no longer a paying member of Ancestry, however I have always been able to view original images that I saved to my private tree when I was a paying member. Today though I discovered that I can no longer do this. If I click on any of these images the page comes up asking me to re-join. I am also able to access my sister's tree and have been able to view any images she has saved to her tree, but that is no longer the case. I am fortunate in that I have always saved copies of documents to my computer or taken printouts so it does not bother me terribly. My sister however has always believed that when she no longer subscribes she would still be able to view all the original saved documents and therefore hasn't kept other copies. I've suggested that she upgrades to Family tree maker 2012 so that she can sync her trees and I believe that way she would automatically download copies of the images to her FTM. I would be grateful if anyone can confirm this is so, for me.
I now use the library if I need to access ancestry and then I save any images to the desktop and then email them to myself to save to my home computer or print them off.
Sheila

Creighton
15-05-2013, 7:44 PM
Hello Sheila

I too, have 'left' Ancestry but I did purchase the Family Tree Maker 2012 and was able to download the images within the parameters of the program. I also backed them up elsewhere away from the FTM Media directory just in case. So yes, I can confirm your statement. I might just add that the FTM program has to be the 2012 version or later, for the synchronisation application to work. It does not work on the 2011 or earlier versions, so beware!

Creighton

mfwebb
16-05-2013, 5:27 AM
I am not surprised that you no longer have access to images which are only accessible through a paid subscription. I always keep copies of such images on my own computer.

There have been numerous threads in this forum which caution against using an on-line tree as the primary source of your family history research. Put trees on-line by all means, but build them in a database programme on your own computer then upload the tree via a GedCom file. That way, you are in control and are not at the mercy of an on-line provider.

All the best,
Malcolm webb
Lincoln UK

stepives
16-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Yes.....I found the same as you. It maybe because they're revamping the site, to Beta format. But I suspect they may just want more money.:censored:

slik rick
18-09-2014, 2:00 AM
Hi Everyone

I thought I would share my new discovery with you. Apologies if you are all already aware of this.
I am no longer a paying member of Ancestry, however I have always been able to view original images

I saved to my private tree when I was a paying member. Today though I discovered that I can no longer do this. If I click on any of these images the page comes up asking me to re-join. I am also able to access my sister's tree and have been able to view any images she has saved to her tree, but that is no longer the case. I am fortunate in that I have always saved copies of documents to my computer or taken printouts so it does not bother me terribly. My sister however has always believed that when she no longer subscribes she would still be able to view all the original saved documents and therefore hasn't kept other copies. I've suggested that she upgrades to Family tree maker 2012 so that she can sync her trees and I believe that way she would automatically download copies of the images to her FTM. I would be grateful if anyone can confirm this is so, for me.
I now use the library if I need to access ancestry and then I save any images to the desktop and then email them to myself to save to my home computer or print them off.

sheilastain
18-09-2014, 8:51 AM
Hi

I recently purchased FTM 2014 just so that I could download and save images to it, from Ancestry. I must say it did not turn out to be as simple as made out but that was mostly because my main tree was on a previous version of FTM and the tree I had on Ancestry was not complete and up to date and so I had to merge the two trees. My sister however just downloaded her tree from Ancestry to FTM without problem. The only thing I would say is that if you have lots of records attached it will take an awfully long time. Be aware that not everything downloads automatically from ancestry. One thing to be particularly aware of is that where records cover more than one page eg army records and census records that are spread over two pages, the only page that will save to your FTM tree is the first page so you need to print any of those off. Of course when you purchase FTM you get 3 months free membership and that is the time that I have been using to get my trees properly into sync.
I too, am a guest on my sister's tree and have found that occasionally I cannot view an original document on her tree, I just get a page that comes up inviting me to join or upgrade. I haven't yet fathomed out why this is so. I usually then ask my sister to share it with me and I can then see it and save it onto my computer and then into my FTM tree.
A word of advice, if you save anything to your FTM tree from your own computer make sure that you lock it to prevent everyone being able to access it on the Ancestry site because anything on your FTM tree will appear as pictures on Ancestry.
Also I made sure that I chose to sync myself rather than automatic syncing so that I can check each time I make an alteration that it has synced. I have had to go back to several census that I have on my tree and detach and reattach them in order for them to download to FTM
Having said all of this once my membership expires, I will still have all of these originals on my FTM tree which I back up regularly.
I used to do the same as you,slik rick, and still do occasionally but I now find that having the FTM tree with all the records at hand to view with the tree, rather than searching through my computer files, is so much more convenient.
Hope this helps. Come back to me if there is anything else that I can possibly help with.
Sheila

Megan Roberts
18-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Ancestry are currently offering 14 days free access all areas, so this might help those struggling to get the images for their trees.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/freetrial?o_iid=59934&o_lid=59934&o_sch=Internal+List

However, don't forget to untick the auto renew box!

strawberrymivvy
18-09-2014, 7:31 PM
Looks like I could potentially be caught out with this too, I have no plans to cancel my Ancestry membership, but never say never... Has anybody on here used Family Tree Maker on the Mac successfully? I have multiple trees, with lots of documents and attachments, on Ancestry - have you transferred them successfully to a Mac?

Late birthday present to myself, maybe...