PDA

View Full Version : WO 363 - "The Burnt Records" - FUL

fullscott
06-05-2013, 9:07 PM
Phew! You will all, I'm sure, be delighted to know that I've got to the end of the FUL section of the above records - what Ancestry call "WW1 Service Records".

I have looked at every one of the 30,136 pages - some are repeated, some are illegible, many are out of order ... but the stories are incredible. I found myself cheering when a man got to demobilisation, laughing at the daft things that happened (fancy throwing petrol onto a fire!), sympathising when a man's wife and children were killed at home.

Anyway, you can be sure that all the mis-files in that section are now in our "Strays" forum ... which I seem to have taken over! Sorry.

I didn't find my man (Harold Holmes Full) - I'll have a look at another section later in the year. But for now I'd better get back to real life (I hate housework) and enjoy the warmer weather!

Jane

pennydog
06-05-2013, 9:22 PM
Oh Jane, what a blow all of those thousands of pages searched and no sign of 'your' man - I salute your fortitude and hopefully someone will benefit from your postings in strays and find 'their man'.
Blow the housework - just get out into the sunshine, whilst it is still here.

Ladkyis
07-05-2013, 6:52 AM
That's a labour of love Jane! My thanks to you for giving the forum such an asset.

timbo58
07-05-2013, 7:46 AM
Hi Jane, we've been perusing sections of the WO363, and as you say some of them are fantastically interesting.

We're planning on putting up quite a bit by transcribing it in full later in the year, lots of hard work though!

I particularly liked (it being my main interest) the escapes from POW camps recommendations-especially the first 'other ranks' to escape via Danzig & Sweden! I raised an eyebrow at an immediate DSO -a very high decoration!
But after double checking it was genuinely awarded and it was nice to see the letters to the King himself regarding the award!

timbo58
07-05-2013, 3:44 PM
Of course I am jumping before checking there: 363 we have copies of most I was referring to 373 of course in my example which is a new section to us 'reccomendations for awards' rather than service details.

A bit more labour intensive as most are partial citations etc.

oops: read 1st, comment afterwards!

fullscott
07-05-2013, 5:17 PM
Er ... I'm starting another section! The sun's not as warm as I thought it was, so I thought I'd start on my own Tree (my brother is 60 next year & I thought it would make a cheap present!). Looking for our grandfather's WW1 records (Usher) ... and blow me, page 4 in the USH section is a mis-file.

So there may be more Strays appearing. Still, this is a short section - only 3718 pages to read. (And I'm off to France soon, so you'll get some peace then!)

Jane

pennydog
07-05-2013, 7:07 PM
The term 'Glutton for Punishment' comes to mind so finger's crossed that you find this one quickly (anything is better than housework!).

Methinks the cheap present may not turn out to be so!

Waitabit
07-05-2013, 8:08 PM
Usher? hmm, I have some of them. perhaps you'll dig out one of mine? :)

Jane might your Harold Holmes Full have been mis-listed under Holmes?

fullscott
07-05-2013, 9:01 PM
Usher? hmm, I have some of them. perhaps you'll dig out one of mine? :)

Jane might your Harold Holmes Full have been mis-listed under Holmes?

There were only 3 Fulls in the whole of the FUL section, and as there were several brothers who should have been there I've got a horrid feeling that they really were in the destroyed papers. But I've not given up yet! - Holmes will be explored later in the year.

What names are your Ushers, Waitabit? Let me know (send a PM) and I'll keep my eyes open for them.

As Pennydog says, anything is better than housework!

Jane

Waitabit
07-05-2013, 9:23 PM
Thanks Jane will do, actually housework is a user friendly form of exercise. Not to be taken to the extreme.