PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Hennah, RA

Ladkyis
19-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I am just beginning to look at some of the outlying twigs on my family tree. My Uncle married Joan Hennah in 1939 - both are long dead now and they had no children. I know she is not a blood relative but it is an interesting family, if only for the fact that they all seemed to be a bit loopy.
Perhaps that's not a socially correct thing to say but when you go to visit your uncle and as your Dad drives the car along the street we can see aunty out vacuum cleaning the lawn and when she invites us in we have to climb through the window because "they" are not getting a chance to get the door open, I think loopy describes it.
Anyway. Her father was Joseph Hennah, the artist I I have a painting that my Dad says was done by him. He was given it by my Uncle in payment for something so it has always been "The Hennah on the Landing".
NOw I am trying to discover more about the family. I have the marriage of Joseph to Muriel Hughes and the birth of Joan. I have Joseph in the 1911 and 1901 census - he is Henner in the 1901 -
looking for some description or flesh to put on those bones I suppose.

gasser
19-04-2013, 1:02 PM
A google search offers this www.
caerleon.net/archive/paintings/hennah/ which gives an account of Joseph's life together with a gallery of his paintings ...

Megan Roberts
19-04-2013, 1:45 PM
Welsh Newspapers online from the National Library - searching using "Hennah" as a term produces a handful of hits, which may or may not be connected to your aunty.

One is a Norman Golding Hennah appearing at Bow Street court charged with fraud in connection with "The World's Great Marriage Association (Limited)".

Similarly Findmypast's British Newspaper archive has a handful of hits. At least one of which is definitely Joseph the artist.

Ladkyis
19-04-2013, 3:32 PM
Thanks Gasser I have that site saved.

I will get looking at the newspapers tonight, thanks Megan