PDA

View Full Version : Quaife (Thornton)

rfeichel
09-08-2005, 1:29 PM
I am searching for information about FRANCES QUAIFE. She alledgedly married JAMES SHEPARD THORNTON in San Francisco in the 1849-1850 time frame. She had two sons Thomas and George (my great-grandfather). In about 1854 her sister Sarah came to California and broght Francis and her two sons back to England. After Thomas was grown he moved to Dover where he was a watchmaker. He died in about 1874 (age 24). George emigrated to Canada and thence to the states.

I need a birth and death certificate for Francis. She lived in the Cranbrook area. If a death certificate for Thomas is avaialble that could be helpful. I need to prove the marriage between Francis and James. The fires and earthquakes in San Francisco in 1906 destroyed most public and provate records.

If you have any information on any of these people contact me at rfeichel at earthlink dot net

Robert Eichel

rfeichel
29-07-2008, 9:10 PM
Based on the date and place of birth of her second son it is likely she returned to England with one son, George, and the second son was born after her arrival. It was indicated on her death certificate and the birth certificate for son#2 that the husband/father was Alexander Thornton. There is no other evidence that he existed. Any assistance will be appreciated and helpful.