PDA

View Full Version : Manslaughter Charge 1891

Chasing Caseys
08-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I found this on foxhollow site

1890-1892 Bury and Norwich Post newspaper archive
August 11th 1891
Henry Hollox a dealer of Little Waldingfield was sent for trial for the manslaughter of his wife Emma

Emma was my gt gt grandmother.

Would he have been imprisoned for this and for how long ?

I have found a 1901 census for what looks like him with a wife.(Hollox spelt Hollix)

Where can i find the outcome of the trial ?

Geoffers
08-08-2005, 11:30 PM
1890-1892 Bury and Norwich Post newspaper archive
August 11th 1891 Henry Hollox a dealer of Little Waldingfield was sent for trial for the manslaughter of his wife Emma
Would he have been imprisoned for this and for how long ?
It depends on whether or not he was found guilty. Your best bet for finding out further information is to hunt out the newspaper reports of the trial, which are likely to go into some detail.

Geoffers

Chasing Caseys
08-08-2005, 11:38 PM
As far as i can see there is no more on it on that site and i have done a Google search as well. But i will keep trying !

Thanks

Im having real problems with this site tonight, i keep getting server busy and then it cuts off !

Chasing Caseys
08-08-2005, 11:41 PM
I meant to say the Foxearth site not Foxhollow !|banghead|

Geoffers
08-08-2005, 11:49 PM
As far as i can see there is no more on it on that site and i have done a Google search as well. But i will keep trying !I meant that you'd have to go to a record office or local studies library and look through the newspaper reports - these are often on microfilm. I would presume that this would be at Ipswich. If you 'phone the Record Office they should be able to advise you on the best way to view newspapers locally.

Geoffers

Chasing Caseys
08-08-2005, 11:51 PM
I am on the suffolk fhs site as we mail !

k0065126
09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Tracey,

If you are able to visit north London you may find newspapers with the reports you are interested in at the British Libraray Newspaper Library at Colindale.

Also the National Archives at Kew may hold some documents relating to the trial if it was held at the local assizes, (and I guess manslaughter would be serious enough to go to the assizes), but the documents will probably be copies of papers from committal hearings and not transcripts of the trial at the assizes.

If found guilty I imagine he was sentenced to several years with hard labour.

Viv

marymog
20-03-2006, 9:35 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I am interested, so I want to ressurect it.

I have a Mary Ann King married to a George Horrex,
I know the name interchanges between Horrex,Horrix,Hollix, Hollex, Horrocks...ad infinitum.

do you have this info on "hoppy Dick"

Henry (Hoppy Dick) HOLLEX was born in 1853 in Monks Eleigh, Suffolk, England.
He was baptised on 5 Jun 1853 in Monks Eleigh, Suffolk, England.
He was a Dealer between 1881 and 1888 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
He was a Pig Dealer in 1891 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
He was a General Dealer (Employer) in 1901 in Monks Eleigh, Suffolk, England. He died.
Parents: Robert HOLLICKS \ HOLLEX and Mary Ann BAKER.
He was married to Emma KING on 1 Oct 1881 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
Children were: Arthur HORREX, Henry George HORREX, Bertha Mary Ann HORREX , Jack and Sticher.

He was married to Rose before 1902. Children were: Blanche Edith (Netta) HOLLEX \ HOLLOX.

Emma KING was born in 1851 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
She was baptised on 29 Jun 1851 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
She died in 1891 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
She was buried on 6 Aug 1891 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
She is entered on the burial record as aged 42.
Parents: George KING and Mary Ann CLOVER.
Children were: Emma KING , William George KING, Charlotte Ann KING.

She was married to Henry (Hoppy Dick) HOLLEX on 1 Oct 1881 in Little Waldingfield, Suffolk, England.
Children were: Arthur HORREX, Henry George HORREX, Bertha Mary Ann HORREX , Jack and Sticher.

regards
mm