PDA

View Full Version : Willis family West Walton

Brenda in Cyprus
15-10-2004, 7:20 PM
One of my rellies Peter Willis b1836 in Stebbing Essex along with his wife Eliza Reeve ran The Queen of Trumps pub in West Walton 1879-1888. Their children were Ellen,Martha b1874,Sam b1878,Peter b1880 & Eliza b1881. Does anyone have any info on either the family or the pub?
Thanks

Geoffers
15-10-2004, 9:03 PM
In an idle moment whilst supping a cuppa, I wondered why your chap should move to West Walton, so searched the 1851 census. He wasn't there, but there was an entry which I thought you might find interesting...............

HO107/1766 f562 p14
South Field, West Walton
Mary A. CHIDICK, Head, Wid, 36, Baker, Haston-Suf
Richard CHIDICK, Son, Unm, 9, Scholar, West Walton-Nfk
Elizabeth CHIDICK, Daur, Unm, 6, Scholar, West Walton-Nfk
John WILLIS, Neph, Unm, 23, Traveller, Stebbings-Ess

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Brenda in Cyprus
16-10-2004, 5:52 AM
Thats interesting Geoffers! I have a John Willis born Stebbing married to Bridget Ann Chiddock. I don't think its the John you mention as mine was born in 1794 but it could tie up the surname connection. Think I'm going to need a whole POT of tea while I sort this one out!
Thanks
Brenda

Pam Fuller
16-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Peter Willis is my great grandfather. John Willis who lived in West Walton in the 1851 census is his older brother. They are both children of Bridgett Chittock (Chiddock). Peter's father is unknown to me as he was born after John (married to Bridgett) died. You do not list my grandfather, maybe because he left to go to the United States. He is George b1882 to Peter Willis and Eliza Reeve. I too have been searching for more information or a living relative. How are you related? Please be in touch. Hopefully, we can share information.
Thank you.