PDA

View Full Version : You know you are senile when............

sueannbowen
20-02-2013, 4:29 PM
... you get really really excited to find a 'stificate for someone in your tree, order it and then find out 2 days later that you did exactly that a year ago. Bummocks. [Gets coat......... shuffles off muttering darkly]:out:

loobylou
20-02-2013, 4:57 PM
Does it help if you know you are not alone?

busyglen
20-02-2013, 6:20 PM
I did this several years ago.....serves me right for not putting the certificate where it should have been!! :(

sueannbowen
20-02-2013, 6:26 PM
Yes - it does a bit. But clearly demonstrates my very poor admin. I was cast iron certain she was a new find. Ho hum.....

susan-y
20-02-2013, 6:41 PM
Brings a new definition to Reincarnation :)

Megan Roberts
20-02-2013, 6:48 PM
I've got a slightly different problem .... about 12 months ago I was corresponding with a family member, and copied about 6 certificates for them - now can I find the originals? No - I have this sinking inevitable feeling that I binned them in a clear out - what makes it worse is that everyone who sees my office knows that I work in organised chaos and rarely have a clear out ..... except about 9 months ago. So now do I swallow my pride and embarrasment and ask for copies of the copies or raid the piggy bank?

sueannbowen
20-02-2013, 7:09 PM
......... I have this sinking inevitable feeling that I binned them in a clear out

oooo that is a pain. if that were me, I'd reorder and then find them a week later.......

Sandra Parker
20-02-2013, 10:15 PM
... you get really really excited to find a 'stificate for someone in your tree, order it and then find out 2 days later that you did exactly that a year ago. Bummocks. [Gets coat......... shuffles off muttering darkly]:out:

Oh, Sue! We can but symapathise. It seems to come with this inevitable quest for finding out what our families didn't really want us to know about. After all, if they had known we needed this information, they would have arranged for everyone to keep close personal records from the time each individual became literate and every branch of the family would have a detailed family bible, a folder with the details of every birth, marriage, death and dalliance with 'issue', and photos with the details clearly written on the back!

If only ......

Sandra and her eternally optimistic spectacled aura.

Waitabit
20-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes - it does a bit. But clearly demonstrates my very poor admin. I was cast iron certain she was a new find. Ho hum.....

Well Sue, she was for that day anyway.:) I wonder if some-one is trying to 'tell you something' about that particular line?

susan-y
21-02-2013, 2:08 AM
Oh, Sue! We can but symapathise. It seems to come with this inevitable quest for finding out what our families didn't really want us to know about. After all, if they had known we needed this information, they would have arranged for everyone to keep close personal records from the time each individual became literate and every branch of the family would have a detailed family bible, a folder with the details of every birth, marriage, death and dalliance with 'issue', and photos with the details clearly written on the back!

If only ......

Sandra and her eternally optimistic spectacled aura.

If that was the case Sandra, there would not be any mystery in our life !! AND we would be super organized as well so no fun in that department, either!

Megan...I think we must be secretly related...my desk is the same!:innocent:

Sue

mariner
21-02-2013, 7:12 AM
Oh Dear Welcome to my World

terrysfamily
21-02-2013, 7:13 AM
I used to know what Senile meant... but at the moment it seems to have escaped me. :skep:

I'm starting to repeat stuff so often now that I'm starting to sound like an echo. :shocked:

Waitabit
21-02-2013, 9:06 AM
Can you sing Terry,? instant harmony! I love harmonising.....

Ladkyis
21-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I can remember everything! I have a memory like..............like..................like a..........you know, a thing..... a thing with holes in it.... water runs through it..................you use one in the garden for getting small stones out of earth .................. A THINGY!!!!

What was I talking about?

LittleSpark
21-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I can remember everything! I have a memory like..............like..................like a..........you know, a thing..... a thing with holes in it.... water runs through it..................you use one in the garden for getting small stones out of earth .................. A THINGY!!!!

What was I talking about?

A sponge....a colanader.....a sieve....a THINGY!

I know just what you mean, I have the same problem too.

Sheila

MaryFrances
21-03-2013, 7:37 PM
Sandra's comments about everyone keeping personal records, reminded me of an idea which I found in a book for making vintage-style cards. There was one with a picture of a smiling girl on the front, with "Happy Days" in large letters above and below the image - all mounted onto a backing paper which clearly read "Mother died...", "..diphtheria...", "Bridget died...4 years....", Gabriel died..."

Nicolina
21-03-2013, 8:26 PM
what would we do with our time if our ancestors had kept such detailed records, Sandra? Imagine life without finding the skeletons, tucked away in some dark corner. What boring lives we'd be leading.

Colin Rowledge
21-03-2013, 9:09 PM
Looking at this thread made me think - AM I SENILE?

The answer is YES!!!!!

For me, though, I am happy!

The money I spend now [wastefully] on pursuit of happiness [?] will not go to others [who would only squander it]. :smartass:

Therefore that makes me not worry - but Hillary and others may disagree -- :shocked:

C'est la vie :whistling:

Colin

Ken_R
21-03-2013, 9:20 PM
In a similar vein, a couple of years ago, when renewing my Photocard Driving Licence, I, quite naturally needed an updated photograph of myself. Not a pretty sight.:nono:

Off I goes to the local photo shop and gets a set of 4. GREAT I think. My Passport is due for renewal in a couple of years. I'll use the spares for that.

A couple of years later. Can I find them. Can I heck.:censored:

susan-y
21-03-2013, 9:33 PM
In a similar vein, a couple of years ago, when renewing my Photocard Driving Licence, I, quite naturally needed an updated photograph of myself. Not a pretty sight.:nono:

Off I goes to the local photo shop and gets a set of 4. GREAT I think. My Passport is due for renewal in a couple of years. I'll use the spares for that.

A couple of years later. Can I find them. Can I heck.:censored: In Ontario they snap our photo in the office of the driver's license renewel right where we stand. No smiles... so we always look like we belong on the latest most wanted poster.:chris:

Sue

anamarja
22-03-2013, 9:34 AM
They do that here in Oz too, Sue. My husband's latest photo looks as if he's been hit over the back of the head with a frozen salmon.

arthurk
22-03-2013, 5:41 PM

A couple of years later. Can I find them. Can I heck.:censored:

Based on my memory of going through a similar process a couple of years ago, I'm not sure the photos would have been accepted. I've a feeling they were supposed to be 6 months old or less - though I'm not sure how they could tell.

The rules are so strict these days (background colour, size of image, no glasses (even if you wear them all the time) etc etc) that it seemed easier to go to the Post Office (a branch with the relevant facilities, that is), where for a fee they'll take the photo to current standards, and check any supporting documents that are needed. That way, if the photo is wrong it's someone else's fault, and it also means you don't have to post your documents off anywhere, as you get them back straight away.

So maybe in the long run you did yourself a favour - and in xx years' time when your family are sorting out your effects, someone will find them and wonder who on earth it is.

Arthur

terrysfamily
22-03-2013, 6:08 PM
You know you are senile when............ your name is ?

wendymac
23-03-2013, 5:36 PM
Iv'e started to ask myself questions..... then answer them myself ha ha....Im nuts.:stupid:

terrysfamily
23-03-2013, 6:20 PM
Iv'e started to ask myself questions..... then answer them myself ha ha....Im nuts.:stupid:
But on the plus side you get the answer you were expecting :lol:

Jan1954
23-03-2013, 6:21 PM
But on the plus side you get the answer you were expecting :lol:The time to worry is if you do not..... :wink5:

terrysfamily
23-03-2013, 6:37 PM
The time to worry is if you do not..... :wink5:
That's when I tell the other me they're a 'thickit' and don't know what they're on about :biggrin:.

Where I work everyone knows I talk to myself. When they say I wish you'd stop talking to yourself I simply reply stop eavesdropping on my conversations :lol:

wendymac
23-03-2013, 7:02 PM
When I answer myself I then start arguing with myself ha ha - think I've completely lost the plot. I put my purse in the fridge the other week - I'm going to shut up now I'm starting to worry myself ha ha ha...:crazy:

terrysfamily
23-03-2013, 7:11 PM
Well with all this snow we're having you'll have to be extra vigilant. You won't see the men in white coats till it's to late :biggrin:

wendymac
23-03-2013, 7:29 PM
Terry, you are soo funny..|laugh1|

Colin Rowledge
23-03-2013, 8:06 PM
I put my purse in the fridge the other week :

Nothing beats COLD HARD CASH

Colin

wendymac
23-03-2013, 8:10 PM
Ha ha nice one Colin |laugh1|

stepives
24-03-2013, 1:42 AM
You know you are senile, when....................... You read threads that read, 'You are only senile when........!

And you hope your not.:yikes:

Steve.:wheelchair:

BayHorse
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM

How I laughed at this at the time of posting, and now find, having saved enough pennies to order yet another death certificate, I'd already sent for it ages ago.

You'd think I'd have learnt by now. :sigh:

busyglen
03-04-2013, 3:21 PM
You're not alone....I did this a couple of years ago, and then found I'd already got it in another folder! I think this is something that we all do at some time....especially if you have several lines going at once! :)

sueannbowen
03-04-2013, 4:18 PM
How I laughed at this at the time of posting, and now find, having saved enough pennies to order yet another death certificate, I'd already sent for it ages ago.

You'd think I'd have learnt by now. :sigh:

Ha that'l teach you.

margarita
03-04-2013, 5:43 PM
You know you are senile when............

You keep opening a thread called "You know you are senile when............ " because you can't remember what it is that shows that you are senile.

BayHorse
03-04-2013, 7:16 PM
...but we're happy! |laugh1|

anneb
13-04-2013, 7:05 AM
Been there done that!!!

Waitabit
13-04-2013, 9:32 AM
Can I please be senile too, I don't remember how you lot became so, but am willing to admit to same.
I like 'happy'.