PDA

View Full Version : Look up at London Met. Archives

AnnB
05-08-2005, 8:28 AM
I have found a marriage on Pallot's Marriage Index, but would love to know the full date, and witnesses.
The marriage was between John Brock and Sarah Shepherd and took place in 1828 at St John Hackney. I have looked at the LMA web site and the ref would appear to be X097/299 Index 102/049.

Much as I would love to do this myself (I have spent many a happy hour at LMA in the past :) ) distance means I can't just pop in as I used to :(

So, if there is anyone who could take a look for me I would be very grateful.

Best wishes
Ann

Stuman
05-08-2005, 8:55 AM
Ann

I have taken a note of the information and will have a look next time I am there. It is quite close to where I work in London so it is a lunchtime outing for me whenever it is not raining, too hot or when I have nothing else to do and am not feling just lazy.

I doubt it will be today as it is raining so after the weekend.

Stuart

AnnB
05-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks very much Stuart, I really appreciate that. There is certainly no hurry, the marriage has been bugging me for about twelve years. We moved to Devon before I could make a final visit to the LMA :( Still, I'm glad we moved....
Best wishes
Ann
PS It's raining here as well.

Stuman
05-08-2005, 1:48 PM
Ann

You were in luck. The rain stopped.

The entry is:-

John Brock batchelor of the parish of Plumstead in the county of Kent and Sarah Shepherd of this parish by banns.
J D Watson Curate

Signed by John Brock ( in bold flowing writing)
Sarah made her mark

Witnesses John Lee and M Jackson

John Lee was a witness on the same page at a wedding a few days earlier and M Jackson is a witness on a lot of the weddings.

I hope that helps.

Stuart

AnnB
05-08-2005, 2:26 PM
Stuart, you are a treasure :D

I never expected to find that it said John was 'from Plumstead', I had been guessing he was, but to have had it confirmed is wonderful. And to find that John could sign his name (even if that was all he could do ;) ) is amazing.

I'm so glad it stopped raining! Have they done anything to 'cheer up' the area around the LMA (when I used to go it was the Greater London Record Office), it always seemed a bit of a depressing walk from the station, particularly in the rain!

By the by, have you got the exact date of the marriage?

Very many thanks again
Best wishes
Ann

Stuman
05-08-2005, 3:39 PM
Ann

Yes sorry I missed that bit out of my transcription.
18 October 1846.

The walk up from Farringdon station is no better. My office is in the Charterhouse so my walk out of the back gate into Clerkenwell Road then through the back bits of old Clerkenwell past the church. Not pleasant in tghe rain so I do not go in the rain. It is a conveniant place to work as I have the LMA, FRC and SOG all within easy distance for a lunchtime stroll.

Stuart

AnnB
05-08-2005, 9:03 PM
Was it really 1846? If so, it is the wrong couple :( My pair got hitched in 1828. Trouble is, if it really was in 1846 that you found this John and Sarah - who the hell are they :confused: Inless they got married a second time around....

Sorry to hear that the walk to the LMA has not improved, but aren't you lucky to have so many places nearby - bet you never have to wonder what to do in your lunch hour ;)

Best wishes

Ann

Stuman
08-08-2005, 9:58 AM
Very. Very. Very. VERY sorry.

I have no idea why I typed 1846. It was most certainly not. It was 1828.

Stuart

AnnB
08-08-2005, 2:17 PM
I think there may be something Freudian going on here ;) Something must have happened in your family in 1846 and someone, somewhere, is trying to tell you something....
Please don't worry, as long as I know there wasn't another couple masquerading as 'mine' I don't mind. All I've got to do now is try and find John's birth :confused:
Best wishes and many thanks
Ann

Ed McKie
16-08-2005, 3:52 AM
Stuart

Tried to send you a thank you for the info to your email address and twice got the reply "relaying mail to supanet.com is not allowed" are you aware of some restrictions on this server.?

Cheers..Ed

Peter Goodey
16-08-2005, 9:26 AM
"relaying mail to supanet.com is not allowed"
Is that a 550 error? I thought this usually implied some configuration problem at your end - not at the supanet end ie for some reason your ISP isn't recognising you as a valid subscriber. For obvious anti-spam reasons, most or many ISPs don't allow anyone apart from their own subscribers to send mail via their SMTP server.

But don't take my word for it, I'm getting increasingly out of touch with the technology.:(

Stuman
16-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Ed

If they have put any restrictions on my ISP server they have not told me. Your previous e-mails got through so it must be recent if anything. Hope the info was what you wanted.

Stuart

AnnB
16-08-2005, 1:51 PM
Hello Stuart
I have just noticed your address - what a coincidence, my husband was born and bred in Chingford (Beresford Road, right by the station) and you were looking up his 3x gt grandfather. :D
Thanks again
Ann

Ed McKie
16-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Ed

If they have put any restrictions on my ISP server they have not told me. Your previous e-mails got through so it must be recent if anything. Hope the info was what you wanted.

Stuart

Sorry for the kerfuffle, the problems was in my own computer. I recently changed my ISP and after working quite well for two weeks, yesterday the email programme settings suddenly reverted to the old ISP. Dont ask me why. I am reasonably certain I did nothing to cause this.

However..........

Cheers..Ed