PDA

View Full Version : Wilby - East Bradenham/Deopham/Great Ellingham

Brian
04-08-2005, 7:16 PM
I am on the trail of Thomas Wilby's father James Wilby, according to the census of 1841 and the marriage of Thomas he was a horse dealer. In 1841 he is in East Bradenham. The children - Martha was born 1843 and Thomas born 1844 were both born in Deopham. Their mother Jane was born in Kerry Montgomeryshire about 1816 and appears on the 1851 Census as a widow. There is a death in the Wayland district for Jun 1845 for a James which may well be him. I am hoping that he was buried in either Deopham or Great Ellingham and wondered if anyone has either access to the graveyards or information on a grave for him in one or the other. I am hoping to make that step backwards to his birthyear and hopefully then the next generation. I am hoping to get across to Montgomery later in the year to have a look for a marriage - if I cannot find one in the Norfolk Record Office. Any help would be most gratefully received!

Thanks for reading this ramble
Brian

Geoffers
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I am on the trail of Thomas Wilby's father James Wilby, according to the census of 1841 and the marriage of Thomas he was a horse dealer.
At least he was born in Norfolk, so that narrows his baptism down to 750-odd parishes! Possibly worth a search on the 1851 census for WILBY/WELBY to plot the distribution of birthplaces, in case a pattern appears - this may help you to narrow down search areas. If you don't have access to the 1851 census for Norfolk, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

continued...

Geoffers
04-08-2005, 10:22 PM
In 1841 he is in East Bradenham. The children - Martha was born 1843 and Thomas born 1844 were both born in Deopham. Their mother Jane was born in Kerry Montgomeryshire about 1816 and appears on the 1851 Census as a widow.I don't know if you're aware, but she's actually re-married to Daniel CHAPMAN.
We have an index to some years of Great Ellingham Registers on the Norfolk Transcription Archive http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

There is a death in the Wayland district for Jun 1845 for a James which may well be him. I am hoping that he was buried in either Deopham or Great EllinghamSee the above web-site, no trace of a burial in Great Ellingham.

The problem in tracing him and his mariage is that Horse Dealers were very mobile and he could have married anywhere. The NFHS produce a CD listing all marriages in the county 1813-1837. The NFHS also has an indexed transcription to the 1798 Land Tax Returns, which may also help you to plot the occurrence of the name WILBY/WELBY in Norfolk.
Geoffers

Brian
18-08-2005, 9:27 AM
Thanks for your suggestions Geoffers, I apologise for not replying earlier but I went off to Cornwall and forgot (my God can it get worse?) to take my laptop with me. I think I will have to get to the NRO and look in non conformist registers to see if he appears there.
regards

Brian