PDA

View Full Version : App in margin, Scotland baptism

drmike789
01-02-2013, 1:30 PM
A double mystery (to me at least). I have a Scotland baptism record for Robert Monro Peterkin 1845, son of James Peterkin and Marjory Monro.

In the margin is the surname Peterkin, but written underneath is Morice app 156. I'm not sure if it is Morice or Mouce.

Any ideas what the entry means?

Kind regards, Mike

Lesley Robertson
11-10-2013, 3:32 PM
How bad is the handwriting? Could it possibly be Monro?
Does the entry describe Marjory as his wife?

drmike789
25-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi, Lesley.

Many apologies for not replying sooner - I've only just seen the email notification that you wrote to me. There are two other Munros in the entry, but they look very distinct from the margin one. It is a possibility though. Marjory is named as his wife.

Here's a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97751577@N06/10474058596/

Kind regards, Mike

Lesley Robertson
25-10-2013, 12:29 PM
No problem, you've been waiting a long time for an answer. I've just been prowling around in the Scottish areas, looking for possibilities.
I have to agree with you, though, it does look more like Morice. Did the family run to middle names? Does Morice/Maurice occur in the family? It COULD mean "Morice appended" (ie the name added after the baptism), but I can't find that abbreviation on the Scotlands People help pages...

drmike789
25-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Lesley. Maurice is not a family name and he did not use Morice/Maurice in two later records. He moves to Canada in 1853 then disappears from records.

Lesley Robertson
25-10-2013, 1:20 PM
Sue kindly sent me the whole page.
There's one odd thing - the Ministers seem to be on a rota: Forbes, Smith, Sterwart, Forbes, Bishop Skinner, Stewart. I've only seen this once, when the Parish Minister was too old to carry out his duties, the surrounding Parish Ministers formed a rota and visited the parish to take the services.
3 of the bap. entries have such notes - Morice app 156; Mackintosh app 199; Valentine app vol II p 7. That last entry suggests that these are page numbers referring to something. It's not the witnesses, they're mentioned separately. It's not the presiding Ministers. It's unlikely that 3/6 couples would forget to mention an extra name, so it can't be my original suggestion.

Hmmmm....

drmike789
25-10-2013, 1:57 PM
Thanks again for taking the time to look.

I've just written to Scotlands People to ask if they know what it means.

Lesley Robertson
25-10-2013, 2:26 PM
PLEASE let me know if they tell you!

Rev Patrick Forbes (1776-1847) was the Parish Minister at the time (and a Professor)... There are Ministers of the other names (except Valentine) in the parishes of Aberdeen (Can you tell what I've been doing in my tea break? I have my reward, though. I found the father in law of one of my OPS landowners in a neighbouring parish)

drmike789
25-10-2013, 3:00 PM
Marvellous - you're a star!