PDA

View Full Version : Harding/feast/manchip Families

vetsy
03-08-2005, 10:16 PM
My G/Grandmother was Ivy Clara Harding born c1896. She married Frank Manchip in the 1920s.

Her father was Henry G Harding born c1870. He married Elizabeth Ann Feast born c1869. Henry and his family show up on the 1901 census as living at 11 Waterloo Road, Tonbridge. On the 1901 census their children were Richard G 10, Elizabeth F 8, James W 5, Ivy C 4, John T 3 and Frances S 5m.

His father was Thomas Harding born c1834. He was married to Hannah (maiden name uknown) who was born c1840. They show up on the 1881 census as residing at 39 Hardres St, Ramsgate with their children Robert G 22, Charles H 16, Louisa 13 and Henry G 11.

If anyone has other information concerning the Hardings or the Feast/Manchip connections I would love to hear from you.

I reside in Australia now but am coming to England in September to try and complete our family tree so any assistance between now and then would be greatly appreciated.

Trish
04-08-2005, 4:55 AM
I don't know if you have this but the following looks like your Thomas HARDING and his family in 1871 -- same address, only Thomas's wife doesn't quite fit with your details -- and where's Robert?

Address: 39 Hardres St., Ramsgate
Thomas HARDEN [sic] Head 41 Fisherman born Canterbury, Kent
Eliza HARDEN Wife 36 born Ramsgate, Kent
William HARDEN Son 14 born Ramsgate, Kent
George HARDEN Son 12 born Ramsgate, Kent
Charles HARDEN Son 6 born Ramsgate, Kent
Louisa HARDEN Daughter 3 born Ramsgate, Kent
Henry HARDEN Son 1 born Ramsgate, Kent

Ref: RG10/994 Folio 58

Trish

Trish
04-08-2005, 5:09 AM
Ah so! I've just looked at the 1861 census and it looks like Thomas's wife's name is Hannah E. for Eliza [or Elizabeth] so that solves that little mystery... but note that enumerator has clearly spelled the name as HARDEN in this census just as it is in the 1871 census:

Address: 10 Staffordshire Pl., Ramsgate
Thomas HARDEN Head 31 Seaman born Canterbury, Kent
Hannah E. HARDEN Wife 24 born Ramsgate, Kent
William T. HARDEN Son 4 born Ramsgate, Kent
Robert Geo. HARDEN Son 3 born Ramsgate, Kent
Mary Ann HARDEN Daughter 1 born Ramsgate, Kent

Ref: RG9/535 Folio 35

HTH,
Trish

Trish
04-08-2005, 5:49 AM
Have you checked the Free BMD site for a record of Thomas's and Hannah's marriage?

Both of the following names appear on the record for the September quarter of 1855 for Thanet*, Kent:
-- HARDEN, Thomas
-- WILLIAMS, Hannah Eliza

[*The district of Thanet includes Ramsgate.]

I think there's a good possibility that Hannah's maiden name was WILLIAMS.

Trish

Trish
04-08-2005, 6:08 AM
Last, but not least, it's worth noting that there are a couple of HARDEN/HARDING families living on Hardres Street in Ramsgate in the 1861 census:

Hannah HARDEN Head Married 77 Land?holder born Bredhurst, Kent
Mary BARNES Sister 75 Widow born Bredhurst, Kent
Phoebe BARNES Niece 36 Domestic Servant Born Chatham, Kent
Margaret SCOTT Lodger 46 born Shadwell, Middlesex
Victoria Nichols Lodger 22 Teacher of Music born Berlin, Reading

Thomasin HARDING Head Unmarried 41 Dressmaker born Ramsgate, Kent
Mary Ann Feny? Lodger 72 Formerly Domestic Servant born St.?Nicholas, Kent

Ref: RG9/536 Folio 159

Trish

Peter Goodey
04-08-2005, 8:05 AM
This marriage may be worth looking at:

Marriages Sep 1855
------------------

CLARK Elizabeth Thanet 2a 916
HARDEN Thomas Thanet 2a 916 <============
Terry Henry Thanet 2a 916
Williams Hannah Eliza Thanet 2a 916 <============

But as I pointed out elsewhere, a birth certificate of one of the children will provide the mother's maiden name.

If you're coming to England on a research trip, I strongly recommend getting all the BMD certificates sorted out first. You can do that just as easily from Australia and in fact you may have problems if you leave it until you get here unless you're going to have a semi-permanent address while you're here.

Try to get all the lines that you want to research back to the start of civil registration - and I mean confirmed by BMD cetificates.

Then when you're here you can concentrate on the pre-civil registration period. Also give us a shout if you want any advice about researching in Kent.

Getting it all well planned, is the key to any successful research trip.

vetsy
08-08-2005, 5:35 AM
Guys, thanks for your help and advice. I've made a note of all the info and i'll be sure to let you know how I get on when I vist UK in September.

Cheers
Vetsy