PDA

View Full Version : Spindlow

suzan
03-08-2005, 7:12 PM
Has anyone got any Spindlows in there family tree? I am interested in the Spindlows from Ducklington Oxfordshire. I have a Annie or Ann Spindlow who married George Wickson and also a Noble Spindlow who could be her brother.

Trish
06-08-2005, 7:52 AM
Has anyone got any Spindlows in there family tree? I am interested in the Spindlows from Ducklington Oxfordshire. I have a Annie or Ann Spindlow who married George Wickson and also a Noble Spindlow who could be her brother.Do you have any census info on Annie/Ann? There's a 6 year old Ann Elizabeth SPINDLOW in Ducklington in the 1871 census. Noble appears as a 7 year old in the same household in the 1881 census and Ann -- who would be about 16 -- is working as a servant in Church Green, Witney.

Trish

suzan
08-08-2005, 7:22 PM
Thanks for info; I have not been able to find Ann only Noble on the 1881 census. I know her father is Edward spindlow from her marriage certificate. Could you tell me where you found those details please.

Peter Goodey
08-08-2005, 8:47 PM
Could that perhaps be the Edward SPINDLOVE who married Mary Anne SOLLEY in 1856?

Another Ducklington marriage which might be of interest - John SPINDLOW married Elizabeth MINTCHIN in 1821.

Geoffers
08-08-2005, 11:22 PM
1861 census
RG9/906 f41 p9 sch.37
Burwell Farm, Curbridge
Charles SPINDLOW, hd, mar, 39, (Casker? - should this read Carter?)
Catherine SPINDLOW, wf, mar, 41
John SPINDLOW, son, 10, under carter
Eliza SPIDLOW, dau, 7, scholar
Walter W SPINDLOW, son, 3
Sarah SPINDLOW, dau, 1
(all shown as born in 'Duck' - although Burwell Farm is now a large housing estate and part of Witney, I believe that the actual farmhouse still stands in the middle of it - I can certainly remember it being there in the 80's when the estate was being built).

Possibly Charles was a brother to Edward - see next post.....

Geoffers
08-08-2005, 11:26 PM
1861 census
RG9/906 f53 p2 sch.12
6, Little Ducklington
Elizabeth SPINDLOW, hd, wid, 66, ag.lab, bn Ducklington

RG9/906 f53 p12 sch.13
7, Little Ducklington
Edward SPNDLOW, hd, mar, ag.lab, bn Ducklington
Mary SPINDLOW, wf, mar, 26, bn Brize Norton
James SPINDLOW, son, 4, bn Ducklington
Abraham SPINDLOW, son, 2, bn Ducklington

Spindlow could well be a variant of the surname Spendlove - you might bear it in mind in your searches (e.g. Sycamore House in Charlbury is opposite the Spendlove Centre). Did you manage to find your way around Charlbury and Duck when you visited?

Geoffers

suzan
09-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks for your help again. Your 1861 census must be my Grandmother's parents as I have looked at her marriage certificate and her father Edward was a Carter and one of the witnesses was an Abraham Spindlow.
I shall have to send for her birth certificate to confirm who her mother was.
we had a lovely time looking around charlbury. I found the house and took photos. I didn’t find the gas house or house's. We needed more time really. I wanted to look in Ducklington church as someone had said they thought they had seen Noble Spindlows name in there. I have a photo of him planting a tree outside the school, there is a banner hanging from the roof saying God save the King. The photo shows a lot of people so it must have been an important occasion.
I would have liked to find out about that too. You are lucky to live in such a lovely place; I didn’t want to go home. I had trouble finding Ducklington farm where we stayed. Next time I shall find somewhere not so much out of the way. I'm hoping to visit again in September, this time on my own.

Trish
09-08-2005, 1:35 AM
Thanks for info; I have not been able to find Ann only Noble on the 1881 census. I know her father is Edward spindlow from her marriage certificate. Could you tell me where you found those details please.Suzan,

Edward is right. On the 1871 census, Ann and household:

Edward SPINDLOW Head 39 Ag. Lab born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington
Mary SPINDLOW Wife 34 born in Oxfordshire, ?Brirenorton
James SPINDLOW Son 14 Ag. Lab born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington
Abraham SPINDLOW Son 12 Ag. Lab born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington
Ann Elizh SPINDLOW Daughter 6 Scholar born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington
Joshua SPINDLOW 4 Son Scholar born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington
Harry SPINDLOW 2 Son born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington
Elizabeth SPINDLOW Mother Widow 77 born in Oxfordshire, Ducklington

Reference: RG10/1452 Folio 47 Page 7

More to follow...

Trish
09-08-2005, 1:43 AM
And Ann in 1881:

Address: Church Green, Witney, Oxfordshire
Kate MASSIE Head Widow 76 [under occupation:] Interest of Money born Middlesex, Hackney
Ann HOPWOOD Boarder Widow 85 Annitant born Middlesex, Hackney
Annie E. SPINDLOW* Servant Unmarried 17 General Servant Domestic born Oxfordshire, Ducklington

Reference: RG11/1516 Folio 18 Page 2

*transcribed as SPENDLOW on Ancestry

Hope this helps,
Trish

Trish
09-08-2005, 2:29 AM
1861 census
RG9/906 f53 p2 sch.12
6, Little Ducklington
Elizabeth SPINDLOW, hd, wid, 66, ag.lab, bn Ducklington

RG9/906 f53 p12 sch.13
7, Little Ducklington
Edward SPNDLOW, hd, mar, ag.lab, bn Ducklington
Mary SPINDLOW, wf, mar, 26, bn Brize Norton
James SPINDLOW, son, 4, bn Ducklington
Abraham SPINDLOW, son, 2, bn Ducklington
Geoffers and Suzan,

I think the 66 year old widow Elizabeth must be Edward's mother, the same Elizabeth who is living with the family by 1871. I would imagine that her occupation, as stated [ag. lab.] is an error.

Trish

Trish
09-08-2005, 2:40 AM
Could that perhaps be the Edward SPINDLOVE who married Mary Anne SOLLEY in 1856?

Another Ducklington marriage which might be of interest - John SPINDLOW married Elizabeth MINTCHIN in 1821.Peter, I think you've given Suzan a couple of good leads...

Suzan, there's a 70 year old widow named Sarah SOLLEY living on Church Lane in the 1861 census for Headlington, Oxfordshire. She's listed as a midwife born in Great Barrington, Gloucestershire. Worthwhile keeping this entry in mind in case the SOLLEY connection pans out.

Trish

Peter Goodey
09-08-2005, 8:12 AM
"I think the 66 year old widow Elizabeth must be Edward's mother"

So do I!

In the 1851 census:

Elizabeth SPINDLOW, Hd, Wid, 56, Ag Lab, Ducklington
Edward SPINDLOW, Son, Unm, 21, Ag Lab, Ducklington

Peter Goodey
09-08-2005, 8:21 AM
In the 1851 census:

Elizabeth SPINDLOW, Hd, Wid, 56, Ag Lab, Ducklington
Edward SPINDLOW, Son, Unm, 21, Ag Lab, Ducklington

Forgot to mention the reference - HO 107/1731 Fo 576 Pg 19

suzan
09-08-2005, 8:24 AM
Thank you everyone you have been a great help. And should anyone live near Ducklington church, and are passing anytime,
I would be interested to know if there is a mention of Noble in there.
This really is a great site.

Suzan.

Geoffers
09-08-2005, 8:32 AM
I would imagine that her occupation, as stated [ag. lab.] is an error
Not necessarily, many women worked on farms in the 19th century - those with babies often carrying them on their backs as they did so - dishing out the odd 'penny stick' (basically a chew laced with opium) to keep them quiet whilst teething.

Geoffers

Trish
09-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Not necessarily, many women worked on farms in the 19th century - those with babies often carrying them on their backs as they did so - dishing out the odd 'penny stick' (basically a chew laced with opium) to keep them quiet whilst teething.

GeoffersOpium, you say?!!

Oh, I know, it's foolish |blush| to make assumptions -- but I just thought, looking at the image on this one, that the enumerator might have gotten fairly carried away with writing "Ag. Lab." all down the column and that odds were that Elizabeth, a 66 year old grandmother, probably wasn't working in the fields.

Trish

Geoffers
09-08-2005, 1:09 PM
Opium, you say?!!Wars were fought over its supply. Rather than highjack this thread, I've create a new thread on the Norfolk forum with a few snippets, in case you're interested.
See http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7750
Geoffers

Geoffers
09-08-2005, 4:33 PM
Thank you everyone you have been a great help. And should anyone live near Ducklington church, and are passing anytime,
I would be interested to know if there is a mention of Noble in there.
Next time I'm near Witney, I'll make a detour to Ducklington and have a browse. It might not be 'till next week though.

Glad to read that you liked Charlbury. If you visit again, you have my contact details, feel free to ask for directions/pointers.

Also, for forward planning, Witney library has a small but useful local history section with census returns, directories, photos, etc. Worth knowing as it saves a tedious trip into the dreaded Oxford.

Geoffers

suzan
09-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks, I will take you up on that, and maybe you will be able to tell me the best times to go into witney. We tried on the Saturday morning and there was a queue of traffic, so I gave up and went to enysham instead. We caught a bus into oxford and went on a shopping spree.

Trish
10-08-2005, 5:44 AM
Suzan,

I see 17 year old Noble and family [parents Edward and Mary, brother Joshua] popping up in the 1891 census. Do you have this info?

With the family is Edward's 6 year old granddaughter, Eva WICKSON or WICKSEN who's listed as a "Boarder Scholar". [Reference RG12/1176 Folio 46]

So perhaps Eva is Ann Elizabeth SPINDLOW's daughter...

And... also in the 1891 census, there's 26 year old Ann E. WICKSON living in Kirtlington, Oxfordshire with her husband George and children Rosa and Owen. George is a shepherd. If you don't have this info, I can give you a full transcription. [Reference RG12/1170 Folio 20]

Ann is in the 1901 census as Annie E. WICKSON with husband George and children Rosa, Owen, Florence, Ethel, Emily, Fred and Edith. [RG13/1402 Folio 50] Meanwhile, Eva WICKSON is a servant in the household of Jane TARRANT in Witney, Oxfordshire. [RG13/1396 Folio 11]

HTH,
Trish

suzan
10-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Trish this is brilliant.
I don’t have this info, but this is my Father's family. Owen is my Grandfather. The other children are my father’s uncle's and Aunts. If you could let me have the details that would be lovely. Thank you very much for your help.
suzan

Trish
11-08-2005, 2:40 AM
Suzan,

You're very welcome. Here's the transcript:

Address: Long Corner, West Shutford, Oxfordshire
George WICKSON Head 39 Shepherd born Oxford, Eyresham
Annie E. WICKSON 36 born Oxford, Ducklington
Rosa WICKSON Daughter 14 Domestic General born Oxford, Tackley or Jackley
Owen WICKSON Son 10 born Oxford, Kirtlington
Edith WICKSON Daughter 9 born Oxford, North Leigh
Florence WICKSON Daughter 7 born Oxford, Ducklington
Ethel WICKSON Daughter 3 born Oxford, Ramsden
Emily WICKSON Daughter 1 born Oxford, Glympton
Fred WICKSON Son 2 months born Oxford, Shutford

Reference: RG13/1402 Folio 50 Page 9

Judging by the birthplaces of your grandfather and his brother and sisters, the family moved around a lot -- probably as a result of your great grandfather's occupation.

More to follow...

Trish

Trish
11-08-2005, 2:53 AM
...Eva WICKSON in 1901:

Address: Church Green
Jane TARRANT Head Widow 74 Living on own means born Forest Hill, Oxon
Nellie M. T. Hackett Servant Single 36 Dom. [Domestic] born Greney Hade, Somerset
Eliza WINFIELD Servant Single 21 Dom. born Holwell, Oxon
Eva WICKSON Servant Single 16 Dom. born Witney, Oxon

Reference: RG13/1396 Folio 11 Page 14

More...

Trish

Trish
11-08-2005, 3:07 AM
...George and Ann E. WICKSON in 1891:

Address: Hade or Slade Farm. Kirtlington
George WICKSON Head 29 Shepherd born Eynsham, Osford
Ann E. WICKSON Wife 26 born Ducklington, Oxford
Rosa WICKSON Daughter 4 born Tackley, Oxford
Owen WICKSON Son 9 months born Kirtlington, Oxford

Reference: RG12/117- Folio 20 Page 4

...and nearby, just down the road at the next farm:

Address: Park Farm, Kirtlington
George WICKSON Head 58 Shepherd born Oxon, Eynsham
Fanny WICKSON Wife 56 born Oxon, Eynsham
Harry WICKSON Son 19 Shepherd born Oxon, Eynsham
Lizzie WICKSON Daughter 18 Domestic Servant born Oxon, Eynsham
Eliza WICKSON Daughter 13 born Oxon, Kirtlington

Suzan, have I now given you all the transcripts you need?

Trish

Geoffers
11-08-2005, 8:51 AM
Just to clear up the uncertain parts of Trish's look-ups:

"Eyresham"- will be Eynsham

"Tackley or Jackley" - will be Tackley

"Hade or Slade Farm. Kirtlington" - will be Slade farm, which is about a mile north of Kirtlington.

Looking at the birthplaces of the children, sheep farming was very important in all of them so his occupation of shepherd makes sense; presumably taken on by different farmers at hiring fairs.

Geoffers

suzan
11-08-2005, 9:52 AM
Thanks Geoffers It seems you have a full time job with this, keep up the good work.

lewis.spindlove
05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Hi, my name is Lewis John Spindlove (1983), son of John Michael Spindlove and grandson of John Spindlove. I came across this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me to trace the Spindlove side, perhaps this originated from the Spindlow being respelt for English pronunciation?

Any help would be most grateful

Lewis J S

Geoffers
05-09-2005, 9:15 AM
Hi, my name is Lewis John Spindlove (1983), son of John Michael Spindlove and grandson of John Spindlove. I came across this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me to trace the Spindlove side, perhaps this originated from the Spindlow being respelt for English pronunciation?

Could you give a bit more detail about what you know? For example, do you have a birth or marriage certificate for John Spindlove - if so what detail is included (date and place of birth, occupation, any address given, etc). If not, do you have this information for your dad? There are lots of people on these forums who like to help; with a bit more information I'm sre we can at least advise you on where to look and what you need to get.

As to spelling of surname - there are often lots of variant spellings and it wouldn't surpirse me if Spindlove/Spendlove was connected to Spindlow. But some groundwork is needed

Geoffers

Margaret Neu
03-05-2009, 4:03 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to find Thomas Spendlow, or Spendlove (have seen it spelled both ways) in Belton, Rutland. He was christend in 1694, married to a Mary (have no last name), she was buried 30 May 1777. I would like to know their lineage, i have their line forward, my hope is to trace the line back as far as possible.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

M. N.

Robert Holt
17-08-2009, 8:10 PM
Has anyone got any Spindlows in there family tree? I am interested in the Spindlows from Ducklington Oxfordshire. I have a Annie or Ann Spindlow who married George Wickson and also a Noble Spindlow who could be her brother.

Suzan I am new to this site, my grandmother was Jane Spindlow b. 1872 d.1942, I have lots of accurate info on the Spindlows of Ducklington, to help you John Spindlow b.1796 had 4 children Charles b.1822,Jane b.1827, Edward
b. 1830, Rose b. 1833.
Edward marries Mary Solles and had 4 children, Abram b. 1859, Harry b. 1869,
Jane b.1872 & Noble b.1874.
Charles married Catherine Bason b.1820 d.1901, They had 6 children Eliza b. 1852, Joshua b.1862, John b.1851,Walter b.1857, Sarah b.1860, & Jane b.
Jane b. 1827 sorry I have no trace
Rose b. 1833 married a man called Adams.
Hope this helps with your searches---beware there are 3 Jane Spindlows!!

amy928
24-03-2011, 2:26 AM
My maiden name is Spindlow. My grandfather was James Edwin, and his father's name was Jessie Edgar Spindlow, and his parents were Norah Ellen Pratley and James Edward Spindlow. And that is as far as I know. I don't know if that helps or not since I don't know where they came from, except England in general.

Coromandel
24-03-2011, 6:35 AM
Hi amy928 and welcome to the forum :)

My maiden name is Spindlow. My grandfather was James Edwin, and his father's name was Jessie Edgar Spindlow, and his parents were Norah Ellen Pratley and James Edward Spindlow. And that is as far as I know. I don't know if that helps or not since I don't know where they came from, except England in general.

With a Pratley as well as a Spindlow there just have to be Oxfordshire connections! Luckily for you, there's an encyclopaedic website about the Pratleys. Nora(h) Ellen even has her own page there: www. pratley.info/person/detail.php?person=1102
This confirms that she's the one you want, for the marriage details and place of death fit with what you already know. It will also take your Pratley roots back several generations!

Our census detectives will no doubt be able to fill in more about the Spindlow side of the family.

Coromandel
24-03-2011, 9:27 PM
The Pratley website I mentioned in the previous post has full details of the marriage of James Spindlow and 'Norah Eleanor' Pratley, at Hailey, Oxfordshire on 4 November 1878. This shows that James was the son of Edward Spindlow, labourer.

The 1881 census transcript (which you can see on the FamilySearch website) shows James Spindlow as 25 years old and as born in Ducklington.

So we're looking for a James Spindlow born about 1856 in Ducklington, son of Edward.

It seems likely that he is the James Spindlow whose birth was registered in the Witney district (which included Ducklington) in the first quarter of 1857 according to the FreeBMD website. You could send off for a copy of the birth certificate for full details. Do ask if you don't know how to do this.

However, you may not have to look further than post #6 of this thread for more about James, for there in Ducklington on the 1861 census is a James Spindlow, son of Edward, who fits the bill very nicely.

Robert Holt
26-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Suzan,
Yes!, I have loads of Spindlows in my family tree, my grandmother on my mothers side was Jane Spindlow b. 1872 in Ducklington, Oxon. Her brothers and sisters were:- James Edward b 1857, Abraham b. 1858, Ann b.1861, Elizabeth Ann b. 1864,
Joshua 1867, Henry b.1869, and Noble b.1874, Their parents were Edward & Mary Ann Spindlow ( nee Solles), all born in Ducklington.
Nobles grave is in Ducklingtons extention cemetary, in front of the Church, he died aged 75, my Grandmother Jane died in 1942.
If you trace the family tree deeper be carefull as both Edward Spindlow b.1830 and his brother Charles Spindlow b. 1822, had a son called Joshua, one born in 1862 the other in 1867, this threw me for ages, enjoy your searching, Bob Holt.