PDA

View Full Version : Guidance needed...Sarah Cox manslaughter

Annamarie
20-01-2013, 9:47 PM
Sarah Cox was tried and acquitted of manslaughter on the 9th Mar 1867 in Staffordshire. (Ancestry)

I have followed Coromandel's advice on another thread and trawled through the National Archives - no joy. I may be missing something.

My 2nd G Grandmother Sarah Cox, b. Brosley, Shropshire in 1837 lived in Smallthorne/ Norton on the Moors, Staffordshire between 1861 and 1871. There are quite a few Sarah Cox's living in Staffordshire according to the 1871 census.

Where do I go to from here?

Coromandel
20-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello Annamarie

It looks like there may be more information in the newspapers on the British Newspaper Archive. We're not allowed to give full details (and I can't see them anyway!) but this snippet is visible free:

From the 'Staffordshire Sentinel', 16 March 1867 [probably from Staffordshire Lent Assizes]
'...case of Sarah Cox, who charged with feloniously killing and slaying her male infant. That is manslaughter again, but the foundation of...'

There also seems to be something in the 'Staffordshire Sentinel' of 16 February 1867 that mentions a Sarah Cox giving birth to a full grown child, and the child being 'fed with some gruel by a woman in ....' It's possibly under the heading 'Burslem' but you'd need to see the actual article to check.

Perhaps the newspapers will give enough information about this Sarah for you to tell if she could be yours?

Annamarie
20-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Thank you Coromandel,
A bit scarey though. Sarah had 3 illegitimate children by this stage. She had worked in the pits at 13. I can only imagine what her life would have been like.

Annamarie
20-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Coromandel, I've been searching the Newspaper archives but can only bring up articles in the Sentinel after 1873. What am I doing wrong?

Annamarie
20-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Coromandel, I've been searching the Newspaper archives but can only bring up articles in the Sentinel after 1873. What am I doing wrong?

Cancel that! I've managed to read the articles. Sarah is definitely mine! Harrowing and oh so sad!

Coromandel
21-01-2013, 2:45 PM
Hello again Annamarie

Reading my post #2 again I'm very sorry I posted the quotations without thinking of how upsetting they might be if Sarah did turn out to be your Sarah. I should have given you a little time to prepare yourself for the bad news. Sorry.:sad:

Now that you know she is your Sarah, I shall have a dig around on the National Archives website myself, and see what they have for the Staffordshire Assizes at that period.

Annamarie
21-01-2013, 8:18 PM
Thank you,

I was a little surprised something happening 150 years ago could have such an impact. The poor child only survived for a day, dying as a result of neglect. Sarah said she had no milk to give but made no personal attempt to care for the baby. Actual cause of death was suffocation through being carelessly left under the covers.

I'm determined to give the baby a place in my tree,
Thank you